News Hawthorn in the media 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please don’t bring Barrett’s sliding doors rubbish here. That’s not the Hawthorn footy club in the media.

That’s a desperate article, trying to get clicks every week.

What will really annoy me will be if we put in a good performance versus Sydney this weekend. It’s like once the pressure is off we play better which is a terrible trait to have TBH.
Every game is equal pressure, equal points. Season has just started, and the Sydney game is just as important as the Essendon game.

I don't know how you could be anything but delighted if they respond with a strong performance against Sydney

Every game is equal pressure, equal points. Season has just started, and the Sydney game is just as important as the Essendon game.

I don't know how you could be anything but delighted if they respond with a strong performance against Sydney
Because it’s been a trend that when the pressure is off we play our best against teams we aren’t expected to beat (like Sydney this weekend).

But when expectations are high (like against a middling team like Essendon) at home in front of a big crowd we s..t the bed.

That’s not a great trait to have and we don’t seem to be getting any better at it.

I reckon the board would be pretty filthy at the players and coaches at that performance, will cost the club a fair bit in future gate revenue.

What will really annoy me will be if we put in a good performance versus Sydney this weekend. It’s like once the pressure is off we play better which is a terrible trait to have TBH.
this unfortunately has some truth to it. There was some reserved members that were joking about "see you next year". Some can stand pain better than others, and some cant stand any at all.

Because it’s been a trend that when the pressure is off we play our best against teams we aren’t expected to beat (like Sydney this weekend).

But when expectations are high (like against a middling team like Essendon) at home in front of a big crowd we s..t the bed.

That’s not a great trait to have and we don’t seem to be getting any better at it.
I think you are looking at it wrong its more to do with our inconsistency of effort and inconsistency of performance. I mean we could come out and perform better this week because we would have reviewed this game. Got a kick up the ass etc

this unfortunately has some truth to it. There was some reserved members that were joking about "see you next year". Some can stand pain better than others, and some cant stand any at all.
The more you think about it the worse it gets TBH.

First round of the season, versus our hated rival in the Scum, perfect conditions, massive crowd and then they put in that absolute mess of a performance?

What I don’t understand is that we had all pre season to plan for that match and yet it looked like a bunch of country league seconds players who had had one training run the last Thursday night and didn’t know each others names yet let alone a coherent game plan.

I think you are looking at it wrong its more to do with our inconsistency of effort and inconsistency of performance. I mean we could come out and perform better this week because we would have reviewed this game. Got a kick up the ass etc
But look at last year.

Who did we play our best footy against? Top teams like Geelong, etc yet we got pantsed by the likes of Gold Coast, St Kilda, etc.

It’s a definite trend and needs addressing.

I don't think think the club follows your expectations of who they should be beating, and who they should be losing to, at all.

This is purely YOUR perception of 'pressure this week' 'no pressure next week'...it doesn't stack up.

But look at last year.

Who did we play our best footy against? Top teams like Geelong, etc yet we got pantsed by the likes of Gold Coast, St Kilda, etc.

It’s a definite trend and needs addressing.
We beat GC last year and i am not sure we are going in with the hard games / easy games attitude because we are no where near where we should be to be that arrogant about the competition

Just had a look back.

They thrashed us by 11 goals in our first meeting with them last year but we had a narrow win over them towards the end of 2022.
Yes with no ruckman up in darwin nash and kosi against witts it was a bloodbath

The scum have been a bit of a banana skin game based off the last few years.
The old adage of “it’s never as good or as bad as it seems” applies to both sides from yesterday.

For all the haste to judge our season after 1 game, I still don’t think it’s a fait accompli that we get belted each week and finish bottom.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand what you're saying, but I think I speak for everyone when I say I'd be delighted if we respond.

I understand what you're saying, but I think I speak for everyone when I say I'd be delighted if we respond.
Yeh of course it would be great if we could pull of an unlikely win this week.

But what does it say about the clubs psychology if we are more likely to win against a top team like the Swans at their home deck than against a big average side like Essendon?

Yeh of course it would be great if we could pull of an unlikely win this week.

But what does it say about the clubs psychology if we are more likely to win against a top team like the Swans at their home deck than against a big average side like Essendon?

I'm putting yesterday's loss squarely at the feet of coaches, I don't think it has so much to do with the psychology of the playing group at this point in time.

They were without 2MP and Stringer. We were without Lewis, which is offset by 2MP's absence. They also played underdone players like Tippa, Parish and Caldwell.

Mitchell has had two pre-seasons and a season's worth of games to instill his gameplan. Yet there was no semblance of structure or a gameplan, bar one ten minute period in the first quarter.

Scott has had one off season, yet they were so much more organised and had a clear plan that worked every single time (switch to space on the fat side).

We also finished higher than them last season.

IMO the team was just not prepared for the game and Mitchell had no answers for Essendon's plan once they got on top.

Kane going into bat for Sam and the rebuild.

Cbs Reaction GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

We definitely needed to get rid of Tom Mitchell Caro. If your starting the argument with that than you don't have the relevant information to provide a good argument.
Worpel already stepped into the Tom role and played a far more damaging type of game.

Wow. Some huge assumptions being made on just one game. Caro really going the shock-jock approach.

Lloydy's point at the end was on the money. Our pressure was terrible. That is effort, not skills or structure. I would be surprised if we see it worse than that again this season. Hopefully we were overwhelmed and we now know what to expect - only upwards from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back