News Hawthorn in the media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Just like last years thread, whatever Barrett has to say is not Hawthorn in the media.

Couldn’t care less for his shit takes, they don’t belong here.

Wouldn't have called us uncompetitive in the 1st Geelong game, we had bad periods but it was still only 20 points half way through the last quarter. They also kicked 17.4
17.4 in a game that was so wet it almost got called off early.

He showed what we are doing. I wouldn't say he broke it down .

It's not exactly a secret . I think anyone who has watched us enough and seen us enough know exactly how we play .
It's requires hard power running, skill and working for each other with a lot of discipline .

Stopping it is another thing . All teams know in general how the others play .

Montagna said just that .
Exactly.

By and large the basic concept is make the ground big when you have it (so there’s more space to work into and more angles of attack) and make it small / congested when they have it.

The obvious improvements with us in 2024 are our running power to spread and create that width / space, as well as our improved footskills meaning we aren’t so easily smacked on turnover (because we aren’t turning it over in horrendous areas).

Throw in the “devil may care” attitude which has come from starting 0-5 and having nothing to lose, and you have an exciting team to watch.

Wouldn't have called us uncompetitive in the 1st Geelong game, we had bad periods but it was still only 20 points half way through the last quarter. They also kicked 17.4
I am hoping like hell we get to play Geelong in the finals.

That first quarter where they just couldn’t miss. Was ****ed.

Why does that not surprise me

Someone who enjoys arguing on a message board - crazy I know.

Say Word Lol GIF by Desus & Mero

Equal distribution of marquee slots would be a good approach, I can get on board with that - sure higher rating sides will get a few more but with roughly 30 or so Thrusday/Friday slots every single side getting at least one would provide more equity into the equation as opposed to the usual AFL secret formulas.

I’m sure they run the ratings algorithms down at Channel 7 and that informs the scheduling. Let’s hope that Hawthorn’s TV ratings matched their attendance strength. And that dog showings from Melbourne supporters translated to the TV as well.

I’m sure they run the ratings algorithms down at Channel 7 and that informs the scheduling. Let’s hope that Hawthorn’s TV ratings matched their attendance strength. And that dog showings from Melbourne supporters translated to the TV as well.

This is correct to a point but 7 also aware that games with big crowds or top of the table clashes also bring eyeballs.

Hawks being expected to be relevant again at the top of the table will only help us get more marquee games alongside all the social media stuff and attractive game style.

The networks definitely have their say. Channel 9 was so publicly incensed that they had to show a Raiders game in a Thursday night slot this year that they asked the NRL to change it. Thankfully the NRL didn’t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they are serious about it. The highest scoring teams should get the most marquee slots.

1. High scoring games should theoretically rate higher.
2. More goals means more ad revenue

Sam on SEN this morning with Kane and David King. Couple of interesting takeaways for me;

1. on selection of Finn this week he mentioned that club feels it has been short of a winger the last few weeks and had to use CMac or Moore in that role at times (injury, rotations). Finn brings flexibility with ability forward, back, mid and wings.

2. suggested that our forward turnover game has gone downhill in the last few weeks so will be a focus.

If they are serious about it. The highest scoring teams should get the most marquee slots.

1. High scoring games should theoretically rate higher.
2. More goals means more ad revenue
On that basis, assuming that we win, we should have the Friday night slot first week of the finals and then the same the following week when we play Geelong.😉

Last edited:

A good read with some interesting insights into how the strategy came together and has been executed.

Vanderloo's contribution that resulted in the Massimo signing for peanuts is statue worthy.
And his personal push to drop down the order for Weddle. We are going to miss his vision in recruiting strategy come draft day. No mention of us happy to sell the farm on McKay or Ratagilia, thank god neither of those came off!

No mention of us happy to sell the farm on McKay or Ratagilia, thank god neither of those came off!

Once again - you have no idea how improved either of those players could have been under our current coaching. Even people here who wanted Massimo didn’t see him becoming an AA-level wingman.

And his personal push to drop down the order for Weddle. We are going to miss his vision in recruiting strategy come draft day. No mention of us happy to sell the farm on McKay or Ratagilia, thank god neither of those came off!
I reckon you should've just gone with Esava on this one

Remove this Banner Ad

News Hawthorn in the media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back