News Hawthorn in the media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Just like last years thread, whatever Barrett has to say is not Hawthorn in the media.

Couldn’t care less for his shit takes, they don’t belong here.

Great article in The Oz today (read it hard copy and it’s behind a paywall) by Bharat Sundaresan, the Adelaide-based Indian born cricket writer.

Says watching Hawthorn this year has essentially made him fall in love with Aussie Rules, which obviously he didn’t grow up with.

Makes some comparisons of our approach with Bazball, while saying our brand is more consistent than Bazball, that there are some similarities between Sam Mitchell and Brendan McCullum (both men determined to do it their own way and went immediately from playing to coaching), while noting Sam wasn’t a maverick during his playing days (unlike McCullum).

He also freely admits some of the subtleties of the AFL may still be lost on him.

Regardless of all that it’s very cool that our approach, game style and backstory is having such an impact in bringing people to the sport.

Great article in The Oz today (read it hard copy and it’s behind a paywall) by Bharat Sundaresan, the Adelaide-based Indian born cricket writer.

Says watching Hawthorn this year has essentially made him fall in love with Aussie Rules, which obviously he didn’t grow up with.

Makes some comparisons of our approach with Bazball, while saying our brand is more consistent than Bazball, that there are some similarities between Sam Mitchell and Brendan McCullum (both men determined to do it their own way and went immediately from playing to coaching), while noting Sam wasn’t a maverick during his playing days (unlike McCullum).

He also freely admits some of the subtleties of the AFL may still be lost on him.

Regardless of all that it’s very cool that our approach, game style and backstory is having such an impact in bringing people to the sport.
Here's the article... thanks TPS.

Love Bharat, he has such infectious enthusiasm and I’m more than glad that he’s jumped on board the Hawks!

Last edited:

He’s starting to jump the shark a little, I think. Perhaps his current seat at the very top of the media personality pile has him a little light headed. He’ll settle down. I think.

He hit gold early with the Hawks, yes, but let’s keep our shorts on and see how the finals play out. We get smashed by the Dogs next Friday and it’s a long off season. We make the prelims and I’ll be on the favourites for next year bandwagon as well. But let’s see how the boys’ game stands up under the pressure of finals before picking favourites in 2025, I say.

He’s starting to jump the shark a little, I think. Perhaps his current seat at the very top of the media personality pile has him a little light headed. He’ll settle down. I think.

He hit gold early with the Hawks, yes, but let’s keep our shorts on and see how the finals play out. We get smashed by the Dogs next Friday and it’s a long off season. We make the prelims and I’ll be on the favourites for next year bandwagon as well. But let’s see how the boys’ game stands up under the pressure of finals before picking favourites in 2025, I say.
Agree. media will say whatever they want to say, but it’s no time for us to start forecasting next year yet.

It’s time to show what we are made of - I am confident but we will have to see.

Agreed. The other thing to factor going into next season is that Barrass + Battle will need time to gel with their new teammates and also to lear our system. There will most definitely be an adjustment period which could have a domino effect throughout the team.

Talk of being favourites whilst the current season hasn't even finished yet is totally premature and we still need to come to terms with Barrass as well. I just thought you guys would al get a good laugh out of our #1 ticket holder Kane Cornes 😂

It's funny to think that almost EVERY acquisition, trade, draft decision or anyone affiliated with Hawthorn has turned to gold and that includes Cornes recent media success which with the early calls of Sam being a genius and have the majority of pundit laugh at him has actually made himself look like a genius too. The only negative thing around the club is the racism saga which depending on how you look at things the current caretakers have actually handled quite well or as well as they could. As a club we're in a great space on and off the field. Good times 🟤🟡🟤🟡

Came across a funny article so sharing it here.

Some snippets below.

Watching Essendon – Depressendon – creatively implode again in its last game, I felt more than shattered. I felt enough is enough.

“Has anyone at the club worked out that we always lose when Shiel’s in? Why did we let D’Ambrosio go yet pay so much for McKay, who plays like he’s in a hostage situation?”

My husband barracks for Hawthorn so I saw their corker season. The competitiveness. The enthusiasm. The license given to play attacking slingshot footy as long as they’re accountable in defense. Makes me sick with jealousy.

Last edited:

Some snippets below:

Watching Essendon – Depressendon – creatively implode again in its last game, I felt more than shattered. I felt enough is enough.

“Has anyone at the club worked out that we always lose when Shiel’s in? Why did we let D’Ambrosio go yet pay so much for McKay, who plays like he’s in a hostage situation?”

My husband barracks for Hawthorn so I saw their corker season. The competitiveness. The enthusiasm. The license given to play attacking slingshot footy as long as they’re accountable in defense. Makes me sick with jealousy.

I usually can't abide footy team swapping but I would absolutely allow it for * supporters.

Some snippets below.

Well, her husband hasn't done a great job in converting his offspring to Hawthorn.

Then again, I'm not sure they're the brightest sparks considering "After the 2017 season, my middle son was so confident of a resurgence he inked “Dons ’18” on his leg with his home tattoo gun."
:tonguewink::confusedv1:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some snippets below.

"Depressendon"

How has no one ever come up with that one before? Amazing.

Here's the article... thanks TPS.

Its a nice article but I hate the comparison to Bazball. I hate the term.

Bazball is just going the tonk when you are outmatched and has not been successful at all. Its being driven by a guy with an astronomical ego setting up a 'philosophy' to create a cult like following and shields him from any criticism.

Nothing like Hawthorn in any way whatsoever

Bazball is just going the tonk when you are outmatched and has not been successful at all. Its being driven by a guy with an astronomical ego setting up a 'philosophy' to create a cult like following and shields him from any criticism.

I agree, Bazball has been a massive failure.

After re-reading it, he doesn’t really compare it to Bazball

He says ‘on the surface, it sounds like footballs version of Bazball’

But he then goes on to pretty much say that the cricket version hasn’t worked but the footy version seems to be working so far.

To me, he’s putting shit on England cricket side, but pumping up Hawthorn Football Club.

After re-reading it, he doesn’t really compare it to Bazball

He says ‘on the surface, it sounds like footballs version of Bazball’

But he then goes on to pretty much say that the cricket version hasn’t worked but the footy version seems to be working so far.

To me, he’s putting shit on England cricket side, but pumping up Hawthorn Football Club.

But far too kind to McCullum. The man is such an a-grade knob, shit bloke and biggest hypocrite in world sport.

Thing I love about finals, is that once it's played, the draw becomes irrelevant.

Beat the Bulldogs on Fri, and that narrative has sailed.

Now it's simply survival of the fittest.
Everyyear though theres the top 4 side that lost against the 5-8 side that 1 and everyone thinks the bottom side will win the Semi because they beat the 8th side while the other lost to top.

Just watch everyone will back Brisbane to beat GWS/Sydney completely disregarding the history of it all.
Not really ground breaking. Most reigning premiers start the following year favourites.

Yea, nah, not buying that crap from kornes. İt's an absolute set up if I've ever seen one. Hopefully our club makes sure that mentally our younger players don't get ahead of themselves which, in history, it actually has happened to clubs before. I've heard just about enough from Kane on Hawks tbh, he needs to move on.

Yea, nah, not buying that crap from kornes. İt's an absolute set up if I've ever seen one. Hopefully our club makes sure that mentally our younger players don't get ahead of themselves which, in history, it actually has happened to clubs before. I've heard just about enough from Kane on Hawks tbh, he needs to move on.
I don’t mind it.
It’s free publicity & with the exciting football we are playing, the way our media team are working, we are fast becoming a very popular club.

I do a bit of work with older teenagers & so many are coming up to me & talking about HFC positively.

If we are to become a ‘Big 4’ club & push out the likes of Carl & Ess, then take any positive publicity.
Let’s become the biggest.
That’s how we get the prime time games. Popularity contest

I don’t mind it.
It’s free publicity & with the exciting football we are playing, the way our media team are working, we are fast becoming a very popular club.

I do a bit of work with older teenagers & so many are coming up to me & talking about HFC positively.

If we are to become a ‘Big 4’ club & push out the likes of Carl & Ess, then take any positive publicity.
Let’s become the biggest.
That’s how we get the prime time games. Popularity contest
That's all good but kornes needs to go away, he's just a spin doctor, soon as we lose two games he'll the first one to put the heat on , Talking about premierships 13 months in advance is a load of bullshit. We ARE big club, in my time have always been. We don't need hollow hype, that belongs to cowshit like Carlton and essdn.
He should only be talking about this current season, forget big wide statements like his favourite for the flag next year.

That's all good but kornes needs to go away, he's just a spin doctor, soon as we lose two games he'll the first one to put the heat on , Talking about premierships 13 months in advance is a load of bullshit. We ARE big club, in my time have always been. We don't need hollow hype, that belongs to cowshit like Carlton and essdn.
He should only be talking about this current season, forget big wide statements like his favourite for the flag next year.
Clearly we aren’t big enough for C7 to want us on prime time.
I don’t know the stats but even in our 3peat days I don’t feel like we had too many prime time games.
I want us to be televised Friday nights, often

I don’t know the stats but even in our 3peat days I don’t feel like we had too many prime time games.
?? What? Almost every second week was a prime time for us! Especially between 2007-2016! Ten bloody years of Hawthorn been hugely popular not good enough for you? Do you even know our crowd numbers?? In one season, can't remember which one, Hawthorn had like four of the highest rated top 10 games on 7!. Not sure what you mean tbh, you make Hawthorn sound like st.kilda / Bulldogs/Dee's!

Wasn’t that bad in our prime years. Prime time games in those years (Thursday or Friday night not including finals):

2012: 6
2013: 6
2014: 7
2015: 5
2016: 8

Remove this Banner Ad

News Hawthorn in the media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back