News Hawthorn in the media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Just like last years thread, whatever Barrett has to say is not Hawthorn in the media.

Couldn’t care less for his shit takes, they don’t belong here.

Doing a lot of media recently. Good prep for future captaincy.

I guess I’m in the minority here but I think Dylan Moore has it all over Day in terms of what makes a great captain, and twice on Tuesday. Moore out works, out commits (he’s inherited Big Boys head bandage supply) and out passions his way into the side. Like Nuke being the hardest worker at BHH, AFL listed players included, and earning his way into the Hawks list, Moore worked into his place as vice captain.

To me it isn’t even close. Moore is miles in front of Day on the characteristics of a great leader.

I guess I’m in the minority here but I think Dylan Moore has it all over Day in terms of what makes a great captain, and twice on Tuesday. Moore out works, out commits (he’s inherited Big Boys head bandage supply) and out passions his way into the side. Like Nuke being the hardest worker at BHH, AFL listed players included, and earning his way into the Hawks list, Moore worked into his place as vice captain.

To me it isn’t even close. Moore is miles in front of Day on the characteristics of a great leader.
Day and Moore will be captain and vice captain. Whichever way it ends up, it’ll be a good duo. Both are great candidates and will end up being the decision of the players.

Sicily is obviously going to captain for a while longer but it’s a good debate.

Day is my choice but I think Moore would be a good option. Both raise in big moments, speak and articulate themselves well, work hard on and off field and set standards, they also are super vocal.

To that is the group or players close/with heavy leadership qualities:
Worpel, Newcombe, Ward, Lewis (+ Day, Moore)

Probably the main leaders and or next group ^

Impey, Frost, Ginnivan, Amon, Hardwick, Wingard, Breust and Gunston are the rest that are leaders around the club and may not be either future leaders (getting on age wise, or probably not in the selected 6 but will still be leaders).

For mine. Sicily will be captain for as long as he feels and until the next is ready whether Day or Moore for example, I’m sure someone else could come out and probably missing some players.

I'd have to agree with you on Moore, to the point I even think he should be Captain as early as next year. Not a knock on Sicily in any way, who I think is doing a good job, but Moore just has that something in the way he talks. Really makes you believe we're going places. Makes him hard to look past as Captain.

Day would be a great choice too. You feel, by them living together, they just push and drive each other. Both have really stepped up as leaders.

I'd have to agree with you on Moore, to the point I even think he should be Captain as early as next year. Not a knock on Sicily in any way, who I think is doing a good job, but Moore just has that something in the way he talks. Really makes you believe we're going places. Makes him hard to look past as Captain.

Day would be a great choice too. You feel, by them living together, they just push and drive each other. Both have really stepped up as leaders.
Sicily isn't bad but I feel like his game will improve without this on his head. So I do support Moore taking on the role for 2 yrs and if by sheer force of example/personality Day demands it like how Hodge did vis a vis Sam, then Moore can choose to give it up & back Day for the role

Sicily could still have another couple years as captain, I don’t know. Maybe Moore will be our next one. That wouldn’t surprise me for the reasons you’ve stated. But it’s clear Day will be our captain at some point. He aspires to it and his growth as a player and leader is coming on in leaps and bounds.

Sicily isn't bad but I feel like his game will improve without this on his head. So I do support Moore taking on the role for 2 yrs and if by sheer force of example/personality Day demands it like how Hodge did vis a vis Sam, then Moore can choose to give it up & back Day for the role

Agree with Sicily stepping down and improving. It’s a bit like Crawford giving up the captaincy to Vanders. It really improved Crawford’s game without the added pressure of being captain. I can envision Moore taking on the responsibility for a while, until it’s time for the transition to Day. It’s a good position to have.

Agree with Sicily stepping down and improving. It’s a bit like Crawford giving up the captaincy to Vanders. It really improved Crawford’s game without the added pressure of being captain. I can envision Moore taking on the responsibility for a while, until it’s time for the transition to Day. It’s a good position to have.
Crawf got 6 years at it from memory. Sic is only in his 2nd. Rarely does a captain lose it after such a short period, and would be a bit of a harsh blow. Can't see him losing it for a while.

Crawf got 6 years at it from memory. Sic is only in his 2nd. Rarely does a captain lose it after such a short period, and would be a bit of a harsh blow. Can't see him losing it for a while.
Especially as Sicily's been growing into the role.

I think Sic has done a great job as captain in a tough period for the club. I feel it would be very harsh to take the captaincy away from him just as we are improving and potentially playing finals for the next couple of years.

Moore and Day are the next two obvious candidates but I don’t think we need to rush the transition. Maybe in another two years time the club can re-asses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with those saying Moore should be the next Captain.

I think he's the best public speaker at the club, he is the standard setter on and off the track, he plays the game in a team-first manner and he leads on the field with his actions and his voice. Plus his story is a great one and an example to any draftee coming into the club.

Now that's not to say Day isn't also a good public speaker, or doesn't set the standards on/off the track or plays with courage.

But I just believe Moore exemplifies the qualities we love at the club the most - hardness, leadership, skill, selflessness and teamwork.

To me it's more the onfield leader vs the vocal leader
Sam Mitchell/Dylan Moore were the vocal leaders!!
Whereas
Luke Hodge/Will Day are the spiritual leaders!!

Day and Moore will be captain and vice captain. Whichever way it ends up, it’ll be a good duo. Both are great candidates and will end up being the decision of the players.

Sicily is obviously going to captain for a while longer but it’s a good debate.

Day is my choice but I think Moore would be a good option. Both raise in big moments, speak and articulate themselves well, work hard on and off field and set standards, they also are super vocal.

To that is the group or players close/with heavy leadership qualities:
Worpel, Newcombe, Ward, Lewis (+ Day, Moore)

Probably the main leaders and or next group ^

Impey, Frost, Ginnivan, Amon, Hardwick, Wingard, Breust and Gunston are the rest that are leaders around the club and may not be either future leaders (getting on age wise, or probably not in the selected 6 but will still be leaders).

For mine. Sicily will be captain for as long as he feels and until the next is ready whether Day or Moore for example, I’m sure someone else could come out and probably missing some players.
Moore may be the better leader but generally the Captain is the best player in the team or at least top 3. Day speaks well enough and has shown alot of leadership capabilities already. He probably will be our best player in 2 years which is when I see Sis handing over the reins.

When watching at the game live in Geelong, Will Day did a few of the toughest efforts I've seen on the footy field, just willing our side back in the context and trying to change momentum. I think he is our future captain. Our team's form completely turned around when he came back in, can play a variety of roles, has impact in key moments at the coal face, inspires others, and is tough as they come. No disrespect to Moore who also keeps a very high standard even when we're getting done and is an excellent leader, but Will Day is something special.

When watching at the game live in Geelong, Will Day did a few of the toughest efforts I've seen on the footy field, just willing our side back in the context and trying to change momentum. I think he is our future captain. Our team's form completely turned around when he came back in, can play a variety of role, inspires others, and is tough as they come. No disrespect to Moore who also keeps a very high standard even when we're getting done, but Will Day is something special.
That hit on Miers was epic. It floored him for a while, but he tackles to hurt.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Hawthorn in the media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back