News Hawthorn in the media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Just like last years thread, whatever Barrett has to say is not Hawthorn in the media.

Couldn’t care less for his shit takes, they don’t belong here.

Tool of the week = Brad Johnson.
Does not like the goal celebrations as they are not original and thought Watson trying to smother Maynards hand ball and brushing into him after Maynard elbowed Ginni was much worse than Ginni getting elbowed in the face and Watson would be charged.

Tool of the week = Brad Johnson.
Does not like the goal celebrations as they are not original and thought Watson trying to smother Maynards hand ball and brushing into him after Maynard elbowed Ginni was much worse than Ginni getting elbowed in the face and Watson would be charged.
Brad Johnson is one for the strongest endorsements for cracking down on head knocks in footy. Brain capacity of a below average child.

As Kingy said on Sen this morning

“There been down for so long Hawthorn, like 8 minutes I feel sorry for them”

They know we are coming!
To be fair, I can't remember more positivity in the media about Hawthorn in my lifetime. In 2007/2008, there was a lot of excitement around the young side, but there was also a very strong dislike of the "unsociable hawks" and the tall poppy criticism of Buddy was next level. This group is fun to watch and very popular. For now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair, I can't remember more positivity in the media about Hawthorn in my lifetime. In 2007/2008, there was a lot of excitement around the young side, but there was also a very strong dislike of the "unsociable hawks" and the tall poppy criticism of Buddy was next level. This group is fun to watch and very popular. For now.
lets give it a few weeks. In my lifetime, we have never been liked because of the level of club success. Wait until we hear all the copium lines about why Hawthorn is back in the race. At present, they are still running with the 'no high end talent'.

Came to say the same thing.
It's been 12 weeks of love (the first 5 rounds was a free-for-all though)

Even during our golden run of 13-15 it was always about how we were lucky.

lets give it a few weeks. In my lifetime, we have never been liked because of the level of club success. Wait until we hear all the copium lines about why Hawthorn is back in the race. At present, they are still running with the 'no high end talent'.
You may be right. But if we're honest we have never been a media friendly club in the past. Jeans and Clarkson were contemptuous toward the media and that was reciprocated, and Kennett was a magnet for hatred.

The club is taking a very different approach at the moment. Day was interviewed by Cornes and Buckley this morning and used the word 'joy' about 5-6 times. That's the thing people like about the current side - they have fun and that is infectious. Sport is entertainment at the end of the day and right now we are really fun to watch. I have Essendon supporting mates who tune in to our games every week because it's entertaining.

You may be right. But if we're honest we have never been a media friendly club in the past. Jeans and Clarkson were contemptuous toward the media and that was reciprocated, and Kennett was a magnet for hatred.

The club is taking a very different approach at the moment. Day was interviewed by Cornes and Buckley this morning and used the word 'joy' about 5-6 times. That's the thing people like about the current side - they have fun and that is infectious. Sport is entertainment at the end of the day and right now we are really fun to watch. I have Essendon supporting mates who tune in to our games every week because it's entertaining.
I hear what you are saying about the past as well as the current general media and public. All I am saying, it will not last long. Irrespective of how well we do from here, AFL footy media has a plethora of self serving people who will turn within a week, whether it is justified or not.

The novelty will wear off quickly. At present, many are surprised with how quickly it has turned for the Hawks.

I hear what you are saying about the past as well as the current general media and public. All I am saying, it will not last long. Irrespective of how well we do from here, AFL footy media has a plethora of self serving people who will turn within a week, whether it is justified or not.

The novelty will wear off quickly. At present, many are surprised with how quickly it has turned for the Hawks.
I bet you're a joy to be around at parties...

Even during our golden run of 13-15 it was always about how we were lucky.
This didn't happen.

The only possible comment was about the compromised draft, with GWS and GC..which I occasionally heard, but only from nuff-nuffs here on Big Footy, and maybe one or two in the media...out of the many that lauded us

I love Hawthorn being the “it” team right now (and two of my daughters are very happy they followed me to Hawthorn rather than their mother to Geelong as the third daughter did), but this whole “no one has ever played up to the crowds like this before” thing is a bit much.

Does no one remember Jason Ackermanis? Or the infamous legend Mark “Jacko” Jackson?

The AFL has been utterly devoid of personality for years (I thought it was a shame when Clarko made Mark Williams stop the rifleman celebration), but sticking it to the crowd is hardly a new development.

This didn't happen.

The only possible comment was about the compromised draft, with GWS and GC..which I occasionally heard, but only from nuff-nuffs here on Big Footy, and maybe one or two in the media...out of the many that lauded us
Have you heard Kingy's repetoire on the point you raised? He is convinced despite never once tipping Hawthorn to win a GF, that the Hawks 'dominated' only because of the compromised drafting. Pretty sure I heard him sprout this crap again only last week.

I love Hawthorn being the “it” team right now (and two of my daughters are very happy they followed me to Hawthorn rather than their mother to Geelong as the third daughter did), but this whole “no one has ever played up to the crowds like this before” thing is a bit much.

Does no one remember Jason Ackermanis? Or the infamous legend Mark “Jacko” Jackson?

The AFL has been utterly devoid of personality for years (I thought it was a shame when Clarko made Mark Williams stop the rifleman celebration), but sticking it to the crowd is hardly a new development.

There's been a common reference for many former players if spoken to. They loved winning flags, but looking back, they did not enjoy their careers under clarko (respect him, but that doesn't mean they like him)
Maybe that's why Mitch is a lot easier?

Definitely right on the wider scale - during our recent golden run however Bruce was always keen on talking us up during calls.

Have you heard Kingy's repetoire on the point you raised? He is convinced despite never once tipping Hawthorn to win a GF, that the Hawks 'dominated' only because of the compromised drafting. Pretty sure I heard him sprout this crap again only last week.
I think i mentioned "one or two nuff-nuffs in the media", didn't I?

Definitely right on the wider scale - during our recent golden run however Bruce was always keen on talking us up during calls.
Bryce was the exception, not the rule.

Every review from the media was through gritted teeth, and it was also fairly common for us to be the last mentioned when something went right. And first mentioned when it was going wrong

Remove this Banner Ad

News Hawthorn in the media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back