News Hawthorn in the media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Just like last years thread, whatever Barrett has to say is not Hawthorn in the media.

Couldn’t care less for his shit takes, they don’t belong here.

Matthew Lloyd is the best of the lot on both radio and television
Yeah agree to an extent on Lloydy. Initially he had a bit of a deer in the headlights look to him but as he matures in the media he's looking better. Doesn't mind potting his old club, which is always good to see.
Jordy Lewis is an interesting one.. Seems to over try a little at times and can come across as a bit too earnest and wordy, bit more time and he should be fine.

Have you heard Kingy's repetoire on the point you raised? He is convinced despite never once tipping Hawthorn to win a GF, that the Hawks 'dominated' only because of the compromised drafting. Pretty sure I heard him sprout this crap again only last week.
Has Kingy had anything to say about the draft concessions his Shinbeggars have been granted recently?

That said, kudos to him for his First Crack comments on Sunday. Good on him for confessing he's been late to the party.

Question now is: How long will it take Joey to admit he's been wrong about the Hawks?

While I'm here, mamy thanks to all those who post links from Melbourne-based radio. They're a boon for those of us who live in rugby-dominated states. Your contributions are very much appreciated!:thumbsu:

Has Kingy had anything to say about the draft concessions his Shinbeggars have been granted recently?

That said, kudos to him for his First Crack comments on Sunday. Good on him for confessing he's been late to the party.

Question now is: How long will it take Joey to admit he's been wrong about the Hawks?

While I'm here, mamy thanks to all those who post links from Melbourne-based radio. They're a boon for those of us who live in rugby-dominated states. Your contributions are very much appreciated!:thumbsu:
Living in Sydney I occasionally listen to SEN Melbourne either online or via digital radio.
The amount of ads does my head in so I can't listen for too long.

Last edited:
Garry Lyon on the Couch, thinks no teams put work into hawthorn, only Geelong did and look what happened, and said Adelaide should.
Hodge said the same thing on SEN yesterday. Doesn’t think we’ll make finals because “in the run home, most of the clubs we play should be able to figure us out”.

Don’t think it’s necessarily a bad take, though I hope he’s wrong. Balanced it out with a heap of positivity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hodge said the same thing on SEN yesterday. Doesn’t think we’ll make finals because “in the run home, most of the clubs we play should be able to figure us out”.

Don’t think it’s necessarily a bad take, though I hope he’s wrong. Balanced it out with a heap of positivity.
Ive never really understood this concept that teams will be 'worked out' - it completely ignores the reality that we will be 'working out' the Blues/Giants/Crows. Is it a case that people expect Voss/Kingsley/Nicks to 'out work out' Sam?

We have been beating teams consistently for 3 months, I would be very very surprised if Collingwood and Freo showed up to our match with a she'll be right attitude without actually looking at any vision from previous matches.

Ive never really understood this concept that teams will be 'worked out' - it completely ignores the reality that we will be 'working out' the Blues/Giants/Crows. Is it a case that people expect Voss/Kingsley/Nicks to 'out work out' Sam?

We have been beating teams consistently for 3 months, I would be very very surprised if Collingwood and Freo showed up to our match with a she'll be right attitude without actually looking at any vision from previous matches.
Couldn't agree more - it's just lazy 'analysis' from 'analysts' who should know better!

I've always thought about it like this... You have your short to medium term plans about how you're going to beat the next 2-3 teams on your fixture as you need to get enough wins to qualify for finals. But you also keep some brain space for the long term view on how you can beat the most dominant side at the time as chances are you will have to overcome them at some point.

If every club/coach is thinking in this way then it means collectively there's a lot more work going into how to undo the best performed team. A lot more notice is taken about what works against them and then tactics to combat them are adapted into a clubs own style. The earlier a dominant team pulls away from the pack then the more likely it is that there will be consensus that they are the ones everyone should be looking at closer.

That's largely why our threepeat was so impressive. For years the comp tried to work us out but we adapted to the challengers.

Oh, it may not be about this season, but it definitely will be a thing next season as opposition get to spend more time scouting you. The opposition will take us more seriously next year and that will effect us. Need to keep improving and evolving.

Oh, it may not be about this season, but it definitely will be a thing next season as opposition get to spend more time scouting you. The opposition will take us more seriously next year and that will effect us. Need to keep improving and evolving.
Lots of improvement left. Our recent wins could’ve been blow outs. Tidy up some disposals , extra experience and some muscle and strength added on to Dear and McCabe and we are extremely dangerous and difficult team to match up on.

I think the strategy to beat us is simple, but not easy. Geelong showed a winning formula as old as the hills a couple weeks ago. Out working us to be in a better position and to be first to the ball. The last quarter against Port showed the same. We let them control the initiative (or couldn’t stop them from controlling it) and that was our downfall. That, at least, blunts our aggressiveness.

Geelong also showed the key to breaking our defence, which is multiple players running hard for multiple positions off the ball (not unlike what we did to Collingwood all afternoon). As the season has progressed we’ve become increasingly good at setting up the defense behind the ball, especially when on the attack, blunting opposition opportunities to exploit turnovers. This all comes from the defender’s commitment and smarts to run into strong positions off the ball. But if you can get a side to consistently run off the ball in multiple lines like Geelong that day (why is it that they always get up for Hawthorn and pull out Prelim quality games?), then you can confuse our defenders - they are half just second year players or so, after all.

So, I guess the key is to run harder for longer. Not really a riveting insight. And to play wiser football. Our boys are pretty committed to not being out worked. But wisdom is only something you can get from experience so we’ll remain vulnerable to the crafty older sides. But not Collingwood. Those geriatrics got thought a lesson in gut running commitment.

And I would suspect Sam and his coaching group would be aware and smart enough to know this is coming.
It will be over to them to, like you say, to keep pushing for improvement and evolve as teams crack our game plan.

I think the strategy to beat us is simple, but not easy. Geelong showed a winning formula as old as the hills a couple weeks ago. Out working us to be in a better position and to be first to the ball. The last quarter against Port showed the same. We let them control the initiative (or couldn’t stop them from controlling it) and that was our downfall. That, at least, blunts our aggressiveness.

Geelong also showed the key to breaking our defence, which is multiple players running hard for multiple positions off the ball (not unlike what we did to Collingwood all afternoon). As the season has progressed we’ve become increasingly good at setting up the defense behind the ball, especially when on the attack, blunting opposition opportunities to exploit turnovers. This all comes from the defender’s commitment and smarts to run into strong positions off the ball. But if you can get a side to consistently run off the ball in multiple lines like Geelong that day (why is it that they always get up for Hawthorn and pull out Prelim quality games?), then you can confuse our defenders - they are half just second year players or so, after all.

So, I guess the key is to run harder for longer. Not really a riveting insight. And to play wiser football. Our boys are pretty committed to not being out worked. But wisdom is only something you can get from experience so we’ll remain vulnerable to the crafty older sides. But not Collingwood. Those geriatrics got thought a lesson in gut running commitment.
Geelong game was pretty simple. Dangerfield and Stewart bullied us in the contest and their fwds cheat out the back every time.
Most teams will try to do this. Pies just couldn't.

Being at the Geelong game it was really noticeable that the grounds narrow dimensions don't suit our game plan. We love using the boundary to move the ball past defensive zones and we just couldn't do that there. They also out hunted us which didn't help.

You can;t take a single thing from that game, it was obvious from the first bounce we were off. Just like how we're not 11 goals better than Collingwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Hawthorn in the media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back