News Hawthorn in the media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Just like last years thread, whatever Barrett has to say is not Hawthorn in the media.

Couldn’t care less for his shit takes, they don’t belong here.

I think the strategy to beat us is simple, but not easy. Geelong showed a winning formula as old as the hills a couple weeks ago. Out working us to be in a better position and to be first to the ball. The last quarter against Port showed the same. We let them control the initiative (or couldn’t stop them from controlling it) and that was our downfall. That, at least, blunts our aggressiveness.

Geelong also showed the key to breaking our defence, which is multiple players running hard for multiple positions off the ball (not unlike what we did to Collingwood all afternoon). As the season has progressed we’ve become increasingly good at setting up the defense behind the ball, especially when on the attack, blunting opposition opportunities to exploit turnovers. This all comes from the defender’s commitment and smarts to run into strong positions off the ball. But if you can get a side to consistently run off the ball in multiple lines like Geelong that day (why is it that they always get up for Hawthorn and pull out Prelim quality games?), then you can confuse our defenders - they are half just second year players or so, after all.

So, I guess the key is to run harder for longer. Not really a riveting insight. And to play wiser football. Our boys are pretty committed to not being out worked. But wisdom is only something you can get from experience so we’ll remain vulnerable to the crafty older sides. But not Collingwood. Those geriatrics got thought a lesson in gut running commitment.
I mean that's not really a formula that beats every game plan essentially.

Seemed reluctant to give us too much credit.
His angle was essentially we played well strategically but Pies let us get away with a lot.
If I hadn't heard so many anecdotes about how much of a grub Garry Lyon is, I'd probably like him.

He's generally been pretty complimentary towards Hawthorn; certainly Alastair Clarkson in the day.

There's only a few pundits that I feel genuinely dislike us. Lyon is overwhelmingly positive generally. I think King is generally quite positive about us (the grand final tipping thing is a meme though).

Barrett, Brad Johnson, Healy and Tim Watson pretty clearly dislike us.

Not sure the 'Gettable' boys like us, but they remain professional.

Respect Kanes hustle and appreciate him being a lone voice in the media when we were shite, but expecting it to turn quite soon as he is a contrarian first and foremost.

There's only a few pundits that I feel genuinely dislike us. Lyon is overwhelmingly positive generally. I think King is generally quite positive about us (the grand final tipping thing is a meme though).

Respect Kanes hustle and appreciate him being a lone voice in the media when we were shite, but expecting it to turn quite soon as he is a contrarian first and foremost.

Watson is a pro though. He dislikes the club in the same way hawthorn fans dislike Essendon. But he is more than capable of talking positively about Hawthorn.

Cam Mooney is similar. I can respect guys who can put their bias aside but are open about it

I'm not sure I think that of Kane, at least he will be consistent. If he comes at us at any point I'd bet good money it will be after a few losses if the players are still doing their celebrations. It wouldn't be inconsistent with what he's said before either.

He's sensationalist, not contrarian.

Hoyne on SEN loves our work in and around stoppage. Also point of difference - our forwards get frees in attacking positions.

Watch opponents step back from the tackle - if so, then we’ll kick even more!

Last edited:
We're the Harlem Globetrotters of the AFL.
espn basketball GIF by Harlem Globetrotters
We were the Harlem Globetrotters in our glory years too. Made lots of teams look stupid with how we played. Mitch has got it on a string with his coaching ATM.

Tool of the week = Brad Johnson.
Does not like the goal celebrations as they are not original and thought Watson trying to smother Maynards hand ball and brushing into him after Maynard elbowed Ginni was much worse than Ginni getting elbowed in the face and Watson would be charged.
He's with Montagna and Healy when it comes to not rating us or downplaying what we have been doing. Was on the 10 year rebuild soundbite along with Joey from memory. Shows that he doesn't know much about what's going on with us and he's opinion is irrelevant IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Peter Lyon, Garry's father played for Hawthorn. Garry has a soft spot for Hawks.
I used to work with Garry's little brother Rick - can confirm the family have a connection with the Hawks through the father who played for them under Kennedy (told some awesome stories about his playing days) - of course the family went all in on the Dees once Garry became a star there but they still love the Hawks

I used to work with Garry's little brother Rick - can confirm the family have a connection with the Hawks through the father who played for them under Kennedy (told some awesome stories about his playing days) - of course the family went all in on the Dees once Garry became a star there but they still love the Hawks
Peter coached me.

Hoyne on SEN loves our work in and around stoppage. Also point of difference - our forwards get frees on attacking positions.

Watch opponents step back - then we’ll kick even more!
Also said James Worpel is in the top 10 players in the comp for best delivery inside 50.

The free kick stat was about high tackles and we are getting significantly more than the opposition inside 50. Of the top 6 highest recipients for high tackles in the comp, 5 are hawks.

They were lauding it though saying it was a strong tactical point of difference that results in a lot of scores.

Yep. Spoke with Garry once and he said as much to me.

Sam and the club seem to have a clear vision for the club, around list management and strategy, our game style, but also promoting the brand of club and engaging its members. It is a very bold strategy, as he is demanding elite training standards and work ethic, while also promoting the excitement of the game and AFL from our club through open access. It's a very different situation where we were in stealth mode in 2011, climbing into the top 4 almost invisible with very little media at all, and we nearly/should have pinched a grand final spot. We are THE talking point in every radio, TV, and newspaper segment, where I remember in 2011 thinking 'why is no one interested in us?' and sides Carlton, who in my eyes we were clearly better than, were getting more attention. We had just as many, actually more exciting players, its just that it was ultra conservative in 'just happy to get 4 points, my team mates helped set me up etc', and we didn't really invite any media in at all due to fear of interrupting that mission. Actually in 2011/2012 we played arguably the most exciting football we've played as a club, but not sure anyone outside Hawthorn supporters have that memory. We want to be a big club, get prime time games, get our membership right up there, attract our supporters to the game, and its seem like Sam and those in charge have seen the way to do this is give the AFL and our members a reason for the above. At the moment every media outlet is saying, "Hawthorn is by far the most exciting team right now" with our game style, but also the little celebrations etc bringing etc attention. That seems a pretty good reason, and it's been by design IMO by Sam and Co.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Hawthorn in the media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back