News Hawthorn in the media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Just like last years thread, whatever Barrett has to say is not Hawthorn in the media.

Couldn’t care less for his shit takes, they don’t belong here.

'The Hawks are Flying' -SEN Champion Data: Talks a bit about our dominate stoppages, and then mostly focuses on the amount of high kicks we are getting.

Interesting as not long ago I felt we couldn't win a high inside 50 compared to other sides, so think we must have changed the way we attack the ball in order to draw them.

These specific lists don’t quite sit right with me. Two of the best kicks in the comp are on the Eagles, a team that couldn’t kick a winning score to save their grandmothers?

What Champion Data is trying to do is judge the quality of each specific kick against the average kick in that same situation and then picking the players that are rating far better or worse from average summed across all their kicks. That seems a reasonable methodology but then it ends up putting two of the best kicks in the comp on the team with the worst performance. And Sam Walsh is the FIFTH worst kick in the competition? Clangerfield doesn’t get a mention?

Maybe it’s right, and it isn’t outrageously wrong as guys like Worpel and Hill have been delivering some quality balls to the forwards, but still I’m not sure it hits the mark.

These specific lists don’t quite sit right with me. Two of the best kicks in the comp are on the Eagles, a team that couldn’t kick a winning score to save their grandmothers?

What Champion Data is trying to do is judge the quality of each specific kick against the average kick in that same situation and then picking the players that are rating far better or worse from average summed across all their kicks. That seems a reasonable methodology but then it ends up putting two of the best kicks in the comp on the team with the worst performance. And Sam Walsh is the FIFTH worst kick in the competition? Clangerfield doesn’t get a mention?

Maybe it’s right, and it isn’t outrageously wrong as guys like Worpel and Hill have been delivering some quality balls to the forwards, but still I’m not sure it hits the mark.
This is precisely why these types of rating systems are so good though. They're just based on the data. It challenges preconceived ideas or feelings like that a couple of the best skilled players couldn't possibly exist in a bottom 4 team, or that players with reputations for being highly or poorly skilled couldn't be going through a patch of good/bad form.

1979-80-los-angeles-lakers.jpg

It's Showtime..

Gross - can’t abide our glorious club being remotely compared that horrid franchise. Ginni and Watto have way more Larry Bird in them.

Sam and the club seem to have a clear vision for the club, around list management and strategy, our game style, but also promoting the brand of club and engaging its members. It is a very bold strategy, as he is demanding elite training standards and work ethic, while also promoting the excitement of the game and AFL from our club through open access. It's a very different situation where we were in stealth mode in 2011, climbing into the top 4 almost invisible with very little media at all, and we nearly/should have pinched a grand final spot. We are THE talking point in every radio, TV, and newspaper segment, where I remember in 2011 thinking 'why is no one interested in us?' and sides Carlton, who in my eyes we were clearly better than, were getting more attention. We had just as many, actually more exciting players, its just that it was ultra conservative in 'just happy to get 4 points, my team mates helped set me up etc', and we didn't really invite any media in at all due to fear of interrupting that mission. Actually in 2011/2012 we played arguably the most exciting football we've played as a club, but not sure anyone outside Hawthorn supporters have that memory. We want to be a big club, get prime time games, get our membership right up there, attract our supporters to the game, and its seem like Sam and those in charge have seen the way to do this is give the AFL and our members a reason for the above. At the moment every media outlet is saying, "Hawthorn is by far the most exciting team right now" with our game style, but also the little celebrations etc bringing etc attention. That seems a pretty good reason, and it's been by design IMO by Sam and Co.

Mitchell saw where the future of the game was heading and has dragged the club out of the dark ages into it.

This is both in terms of media and fan engagement, and on the field with the ball movement.

Old heads will complain about the celebrations, etc, but the younger generation love it. It's infectious amongst the group too and builds that comradery - anyone who has played footy as any level will have experienced this.

The evolution has been amazing to watch unfold this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be honest i'd have Grundy #1 for the impact he's had on the side topping the ladder. Thrilled with our 3 blokes of course.
Still crazy to me that Grundy was playing VFL last year. Literally any other team apart from the Dees he would be the number 1 ruck yet the Dees chose to trade for him when they already had Gawn, arguably the best ruckman of all time.

Be like the Hawks trading for Lockett from the Saints just after Dunstall kicked another 100 goals!

Sensational.

First time I have watched a full ep of this generation of Talking Footy.

Anyone else getting Channel 31 vibes? Real awkward production, right down to strange music choices... And then there's the hosts :confusedv1:
Channel 7 have never been able to get a decent footy show running, it's hilarious. Considering he's a news reader Watson looks so bloody uncomfortable in front of the camera

Channel 7 have never been able to get a decent footy show running, it's hilarious. Considering he's a news reader Watson looks so bloody uncomfortable in front of the camera

For what it is The Front Bar goes alright - if anything we can be thankful it put the nails in the coffin of The Footy Show.

I know people are big on Will Day - but Dylan Moore is the next heart and soul captain of this club and I won’t hear otherwise.
Agreed. What an amazing story D Moore is.
To think he was almost gone.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Hawthorn in the media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back