News Hawthorn in the media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Just like last years thread, whatever Barrett has to say is not Hawthorn in the media.

Couldn’t care less for his shit takes, they don’t belong here.

Did they cancel First Crack so King and Montagna didn't have to talk about Hawthorn?

Imagine putting a show on all season and then not doing it for finals
If I recall correctly same last year. Yes weird they pump out content and that’s an easy format 3 blokes SYL saying things written for them

Did they cancel First Crack so King and Montagna didn't have to talk about Hawthorn?

Imagine putting a show on all season and then not doing it for finals
In finals it moves to Wednesday or Thursday and becomes a review/preview show . Has happened the last few years I've been working it .

It was nice to hear David King give Jai Newcombe the credit he deserves on SEN today, he's been strangely under-talked about for how good he was on the weekend. I especially loved hearing him say that if he were a top 5 pick we'd talk about him differently, something I'm sure plenty of Hawks supporters have been saying since 2022.

It was nice to hear David King give Jai Newcombe the credit he deserves on SEN today, he's been strangely under-talked about for how good he was on the weekend. I especially loved hearing him say that if he were a top 5 pick we'd talk about him differently, something I'm sure plenty of Hawks supporters have been saying since 2022.
Not entirely true. King compared Newk to Bont last week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hodge is a four-time premiership hawk. He simply has to be seen as negative or critical at the very least about Hawthorn so that people don’t spew that he’s biased, much like Piggy.

Not entirely true. King compared Newk to Bont last week.
Not sure how this goes against what I said, I didn't say David King wasn't giving him credit in the past. I just mean that the wider discussion of this particular game has had surprisingly little discussion of Newcombe's performance, it's generally been a footnote in each of the post game analyses that I've watched.

King has been on the Newcombe train for probably 3-4 weeks now.

Feels he has gone anti bias, he is locked in to the media for an eternity now

Seems to be an Ex Hawthorn thing. Hodge, Leigh, Dunstall, Lewis etc. You'd hardly know they were ex Hawthorn premiership players the way they commentate. Although to be fair that is by far the more professional way to do it rather than the blatant barracking you get from some commentators. Hodge/Lewis will stick up for us when really needed. Like how Hodge did for Sicily with the poor AA call etc, and Lewis did with the 'tanking' rubbish saying it was 'offensive' etc.

Last edited:
Hodge is a four-time premiership hawk. He simply has to be seen as negative or critical at the very least about Hawthorn so that people don’t spew that he’s biased, much like Piggy.
I find Jason Dunstall is very similar when he's in the commentary team for Fox, particularly when discussing free kicks, he always seems to say that Hawthorn were lucky to get literally any 50/50 call lol. He goes full Hawthorn nuffy on Bounce though, I find Lewis is similarly much more likely to praise Hawthorn on AFL 360 than he is in a commentary box.

I find Jason Dunstall is very similar when he's in the commentary team for Fox, particularly when discussing free kicks, he always seems to say that Hawthorn were lucky to get literally any 50/50 call lol. He goes full Hawthorn nuffy on Bounce though, I find Lewis is similarly much more likely to praise Hawthorn on AFL 360 than he is in a commentary box.
When these guys do media training, one of the first things they're taught is that everyone is going to expect them to be pro the team they are most associated with, so they are best to nip that in the bud as much as possible. A lot of them tend to over-correct, but it's better than being accused of being a nuffy.

It's a fine line to walk, but explains why guys like Chief have had a decent media career for a long time.

If you watch the vision of he and Izzie Smith in the MMM commentary box on Friday night, they were turning to each other smiling and giving fist bumps when we got a goal, so the love is still there.

Didn't know Eddie had so much faith in the hawks.

Hawks part starts at 18min

Eddie and Jimmy were backing Mitchell hard when others were talking about Tassie winning a flag before us.

Don't agree with this. Dermie was burning Essendon jumpers for the Sun whilst he was performing in the media. You can still be an ex-player & professional commentator at the same time. Derm is still happy to discuss his hate for the Scum.

Don't agree with this. Dermie was burning Essendon jumpers for the Sun whilst he was performing in the media. You can still be an ex-player & professional commentator at the same time. Derm is still happy to discuss his hate for the Scum.
And look at what the opinion of Derm is from oppo fans.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Hawthorn in the media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back