News Hawthorn in the media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Just like last years thread, whatever Barrett has to say is not Hawthorn in the media.

Couldn’t care less for his shit takes, they don’t belong here.

The shittest take I have seen so far

Caro used to be an important voice. Those days are long gone.

Caro used to be an important voice. Those days are long gone.

She’s always been the gossip merchant of football. She has always acted like she’s Woodward and Bernstein discovering the Watergate secrets, only with the target being men kicking an oblong ball rather around a mowed paddock. Her contribution is now, and I hold always has been, a near-zero value addition to the sport.

She’s always been the gossip merchant of football. She has always acted like she’s Woodward and Bernstein discovering the Watergate secrets, only with the target being men kicking an oblong ball rather around a mowed paddock. Her contribution is now, and I hold always has been, a near-zero value addition to the sport.

In my view clearly brought value many years ago. As one example, she pursued the bombers (and Hird’s role) the supplement much harder than any other member of the football media, and during a period when AFL house just wanted it to go away.

But I can agree that now her contribution is zero.

Unpopular? I'll put it this way, Jordan drove his teammates to levels of excellence by demanding more of them. That's what made him a champion, and I'm sure his "aggrieved teammates" still treasure the championship rings Jordan won for them.
The thing is MJ didn't ask any of his teammates to do anything that he didn't. He flew the flag by leading by example and yes to a certain degree he was an a$$hole which was a byproduct of killer mentality and competitive instinct that he himself admitted he couldn't turn off. It's really what made him so great on + off the court.

I'm sure all his 'aggrieved teammates' would be loving the 6 x championship reunions they get to have :)

I cannot believe there are so many sensitive petals on this forum.

Folks, everything Caro has said - and Leigh Matthews also !! - on 3AW is absolutely spot on.
I’m just amused by the way, when a media person says something critical about the club, they’re public enemy no. 1.
I challenge anyone to actually listen to that audio and actually specify where they’ve said something that’s unreasonable or inaccurate. Not just Caro, but Leigh also.

The simple fact is that Ginnivan totally stuffed up (and he’s apologised to the club for doing so). As Leigh says, he gave Port the edge they desperately needed. You can be sure that Ginnivan’s words were on a whiteboard in the Port rooms all week and that their coaches harped on it all week, giving the Port players a massive motivational weapon. As Leigh says, coaches will take and use whatever motivational advantage they can.

Putting aside the inappropriate response from Hinkley, you only have to look at the reaction of some of the Port players after the game - they were laughing at Ginnivan !!! If that doesn’t tell you something, I give up.

What really upsets me is this.
Our coaches and players have been sensational all year. Sam’s planning and attention to detail and marshalling of the team all year has been fabulous. And the players all bought into the plan and responded perfectly throughout the season. The coaches got us into the finals and, as Caro says, we were potentially heading into a grand final.

But then, absolutely beyond the coaches’s and other players’, control, Ginnivan, with a juvenile and arrogant statement, shoots his teammates, and the coaches, in the foot. It’s not just Caro saying that, it’s also one of the all time Hawthorn legends also.

(Some posters have been saying, but it was only a playful social media comment. Please, get real. Try saying that to the Port coaches and players before the game).

In all this, I feel very very sorry for Sam. He’s obviously disappointed by our close call and the miss by Sicily, but he’d also be privately gutted, after all his planning and coaching and brilliant player management during the year as he was potentially heading towards a grand final, by being sliced and diced by a stupid pregame comment by Ginnivan - completely beyond Sam’s control - which gave Hinkley and his coaching team the massive motivational weapon his players needed.

If the sensitive petals on this forum can’t understand that, but would prefer to attack the messenger, then that’s entirely your prerogative.

I cannot believe there are so many sensitive petals on this forum.

Folks, everything Caro has said - and Leigh Matthews also !! - on 3AW is absolutely spot on.
I’m just amused by the way, when a media person says something critical about the club, they’re public enemy no. 1.
I challenge anyone to actually listen to that audio and actually specify where they’ve said something that’s unreasonable or inaccurate. Not just Caro, but Leigh also.

The simple fact is that Ginnivan totally stuffed up (and he’s apologised to the club for doing so). As Leigh says, he gave Port the edge they desperately needed. You can be sure that Ginnivan’s words were on a whiteboard in the Port rooms all week and that their coaches harped on it all week, giving the Port players a massive motivational weapon. As Leigh says, coaches will take and use whatever motivational advantage they can.

Putting aside the inappropriate response from Hinkley, you only have to look at the reaction of some of the Port players after the game - they were laughing at Ginnivan !!! If that doesn’t tell you something, I give up.

What really upsets me is this.
Our coaches and players have been sensational all year. Sam’s planning and attention to detail and marshalling of the team all year has been fabulous. And the players all bought into the plan and responded perfectly throughout the season. The coaches got us into the finals and, as Caro says, we were potentially heading into a grand final.

But then, absolutely beyond the coaches’s and other players’, control, Ginnivan, with a juvenile and arrogant statement, shoots his teammates, and the coaches, in the foot. It’s not just Caro saying that, it’s also one of the all time Hawthorn legends also.

(Some posters have been saying, but it was only a playful social media comment. Please, get real. Try saying that to the Port coaches and players before the game).

In all this, I feel very very sorry for Sam. He’s obviously disappointed by our close call and the miss by Sicily, but he’d also be privately gutted, after all his planning and coaching and brilliant player management during the year as he was potentially heading towards a grand final, by being sliced and diced by a stupid pregame comment by Ginnivan - completely beyond Sam’s control - which gave Hinkley and his coaching team the massive motivational weapon his players needed.

If the sensitive petals on this forum can’t understand that, but would prefer to attack the messenger, then that’s entirely your prerogative.
Nah. You’re the most sensitive petal of all, whinging that a kid’s naive social post has cost us so deeply. If Port Adelaide can’t muster the motivation to win a knockout final at home after being utterly humiliated without that post, I’m not sure what to say. No one’s claiming it wasn’t used in their build up – but these things are constantly used by coaches looking for an edge during the week. Some work, some don’t. Incredibly presumptuous to claim it gave them any sort of winning edge.

Caro can’t have it both ways. She said the Sydney teams were the best left in it so she doesn’t get to then retrofit her narrative.

I'm just having a chuckle to myself about the media today. I rarely pay much attention to them, but I tuned in this morning and it's as though they have been dying for an excuse to sink to boot into Hawthorn and Ginnivan in particular. You would be forgiven for thinking Port Adelaide won by 100 points. Since when did a harmless tweet between two mates, a tweet that didn't even mention Port Adelaide, become the crime of the century?

If Port Adelaide honestly needed that as motivation for winning a final, then God help them against Sydney.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All of this pearl clutching over a tweet is laughable even for the footy media.
What's funny is that it was only ever a story because people like Kane Cornes kept talking about it all week. If they wanted some relevant Hawthorn content for the week they could have talked about Breust's 300th, Moore's 100th, the story of our season since we last played Port. All that just foot notes.

Makes you wonder what would have filled those hours of radio and TV coverage and all that column space otherwise.

Do what I do. Pay no attention to her. Nothing she says is of any substance anyway. She's made a living out of spreading rumors that circulate in club corridors, most of which turn out to be total nonsense.

I'm just having a chuckle to myself about the media today. I rarely pay much attention to them, but I tuned in this morning and it's as though they have been dying for an excuse to sink to boot into Hawthorn and Ginnivan in particular. You would be forgiven for thinking Port Adelaide won by 100 points. Since when did a harmless tweet between two mates, a tweet that didn't even mention Port Adelaide, become the crime of the century?

If Port Adelaide honestly needed that as motivation for winning a final, then God help them against Sydney.
It wasn't even a tweet. It was a comment on a photo Grundy posted on Instagram.

Comparatively tweets are far more declarative and visible. That would have been like standing on a busy street with a megaphone.

A comment on an Instagram post on the other hand is more akin to being overheard saying something to someone at a busy event. There's no expectation of privacy given the public setting but there's also no way it gets anywhere near the visibility or reach without a heap of people repeating it in other, more publicly visible channels.

How would people here feel about having a flippant post they've made somewhere here on the Hawks board being the subject of a mega thread on the BigFooty main AFL board? And then the people responsible for starting that thread and keeping it bumped at the top of the first page all week blaming you for all the attention it was getting for having made the post in the first place. Because that's essentially what has happened with Ginnivan and the footy media here.

All of this pearl clutching over a tweet is laughable even for the footy media.
It doesn’t really matter how small it was, it comes down to how Port received it and what they did with it.

At the end of the day they used it as a huge motivator and clearly it was in Ken’s head all the week the way he was carrying on.

Had we won or had Ken not behaved like a muppet at the end there it probably wouldn’t be a big story in the media. But the fact that we lost by a few points and that Port are admitting it was spoken about quite a bit during the week makes it a big story.

On the Sunday Footy Show - surprise, surprise - Barrett questioned Mitchell bringing up Hinkley's age and why it was relevant to his behaviour.

It has everything to do with it you flogs. I'm in my 30s and if I was coaching U12s, I wouldn't behave in that way towards the opposition kids nor would I give two s**ts to confront them like that post game.

On the Sunday Footy Show - surprise, surprise - Barrett questioned Mitchell bringing up Hinkley's age and why it was relevant to his behaviour.

It has everything to do with it you flogs. I'm in my 30s and if I was coaching U12s, I wouldn't behave in that way towards the opposition kids nor would I give two s**ts to confront them like that post game.
Probably hit close to home considering Barrett is turning 54 next month and he (among many others in that demographic) has spent the last 2 weeks publicly carrying on about a 21yo having dinner at a pub the night before a game, and having the lightest of light hearted banter with an ex-teammate.

Player posts lighthearted joke on a former teammates post: MEDIA OUTRAGE AT PLAYER

57yo senior coach with decades of experiences gets visibly aggressive and shouts at 21 yo player on the field: MEDIA OUTRAGE AT PEOPLE CALLING IT OUT

The imbalance and bias in this situation is astonishing, but very telling at how poor some media takes can be.

It doesn’t really matter how small it was, it comes down to how Port received it and what they did with it.

At the end of the day they used it as a huge motivator and clearly it was in Ken’s head all the week the way he was carrying on.

Had we won or had Ken not behaved like a muppet at the end there it probably wouldn’t be a big story in the media. But the fact that we lost by a few points and that Port are admitting it was spoken about quite a bit during the week makes it a big story.

There would've been the same reaction had we lost to the Bulldogs about Jack at the pub the previous night.

The same people would be saying Hawks got ahead of ourselves with celebrationsv and selfies. At the end of the day, the narrative can change whether you win or lose.

The fact was, we fumbled more than we normally do against Port, even when we weren't under pressure. That was on the team as a whole. That's the main reason we lost.

Player posts lighthearted joke on a former teammates post: MEDIA OUTRAGE AT PLAYER

57yo senior coach with decades of experiences gets visibly aggressive and shouts at 21 yo player on the field: MEDIA OUTRAGE AT PEOPLE CALLING IT OUT

The imbalance and bias in this situation is astonishing, but very telling at how poor some media takes can be.
I’m more looking at:

Playing in a do or die final - Meh

Joking tweet from the opposition - I’m so gonna try my hardest.

I just don’t see it

Remove this Banner Ad

News Hawthorn in the media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back