News Hawthorn in the media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Just like last years thread, whatever Barrett has to say is not Hawthorn in the media.

Couldn’t care less for his shit takes, they don’t belong here.

I cannot believe there are so many sensitive petals on this forum.

Folks, everything Caro has said - and Leigh Matthews also !! - on 3AW is absolutely spot on.
I’m just amused by the way, when a media person says something critical about the club, they’re public enemy no. 1.
I challenge anyone to actually listen to that audio and actually specify where they’ve said something that’s unreasonable or inaccurate. Not just Caro, but Leigh also.

The simple fact is that Ginnivan totally stuffed up (and he’s apologised to the club for doing so). As Leigh says, he gave Port the edge they desperately needed. You can be sure that Ginnivan’s words were on a whiteboard in the Port rooms all week and that their coaches harped on it all week, giving the Port players a massive motivational weapon. As Leigh says, coaches will take and use whatever motivational advantage they can.

Putting aside the inappropriate response from Hinkley, you only have to look at the reaction of some of the Port players after the game - they were laughing at Ginnivan !!! If that doesn’t tell you something, I give up.

What really upsets me is this.
Our coaches and players have been sensational all year. Sam’s planning and attention to detail and marshalling of the team all year has been fabulous. And the players all bought into the plan and responded perfectly throughout the season. The coaches got us into the finals and, as Caro says, we were potentially heading into a grand final.

But then, absolutely beyond the coaches’s and other players’, control, Ginnivan, with a juvenile and arrogant statement, shoots his teammates, and the coaches, in the foot. It’s not just Caro saying that, it’s also one of the all time Hawthorn legends also.

(Some posters have been saying, but it was only a playful social media comment. Please, get real. Try saying that to the Port coaches and players before the game).

In all this, I feel very very sorry for Sam. He’s obviously disappointed by our close call and the miss by Sicily, but he’d also be privately gutted, after all his planning and coaching and brilliant player management during the year as he was potentially heading towards a grand final, by being sliced and diced by a stupid pregame comment by Ginnivan - completely beyond Sam’s control - which gave Hinkley and his coaching team the massive motivational weapon his players needed.

If the sensitive petals on this forum can’t understand that, but would prefer to attack the messenger, then that’s entirely your prerogative.
You are making it out like the Ginnivan comment was a massive factor which is why many of us find your passionate response interesting.

So Port used the comment between ex-temates kicked out by Woods as motivation ... so what. They would have used something else anyway ... e.g. Connor Nash saying his friends in Ireland are ready to come over if Hawks make the GF or Scrim being excited by prospect of making a GF etc etc.

The whole point is Port would have played the same way by attacking the man and contest regardless, to deservedly win the game as the better team on the night.

The fact you actually believe Ginni gave them any extra motivation is frankly attacking him ala Hinkley, it didn't, they were angry from getting belted at home (again in a big final) and were going to come out hard next week regardless.

Stop with this Ginni hate and pile on...we lost to a tougher and harder team on the night after missing some last qtr opportunities to snatch it...end of story.

Support your club and cut out this faux outrage at a social media post directed to a mate.

Hinkley is an immature tool, and the fact he is the leader of men and acts like a drunk Neanderthal in the outer is an embarrament to himself and the Port Adelaide football club.

Go Hawks.

There would've been the same reaction had we lost to the Bulldogs about Jack at the pub the previous night.

The same people would be saying Hawks got ahead of ourselves with celebrationsv and selfies. At the end of the day, the narrative can change whether you win or lose.

The fact was, we fumbled more than we normally do against Port, even when we weren't under pressure. That was on the team as a whole. That's the main reason we lost.
It’s definitely not the reason we lost, and had Jack not made that innocuous comment, Port would have had plenty else to work off to have them just as fired up.

But I get why the media are all over it. It’s a story that ticks plenty of boxes. Some of the takes have been absolute garbage though.

It’s definitely not the reason we lost, and had Jack not made that innocuous comment, Port would have had plenty else to work off to have them just as fired up.

But I get why the media are all over it. It’s a story that ticks plenty of boxes. Some of the takes have been absolute garbage though.

The media was all over it because how many times do you see a coach after a game taunt "ha, ha, you lost" to opposition players (and the coach)? There's a reason they're accepting this 20k fine.

On the Sunday Footy Show - surprise, surprise - Barrett questioned Mitchell bringing up Hinkley's age and why it was relevant to his behaviour.

It has everything to do with it you flogs. I'm in my 30s and if I was coaching U12s, I wouldn't behave in that way towards the opposition kids nor would I give two s**ts to confront them like that post game.

What they fail to see is the difference between ages is relevant. As much as they don’t want to admit it, it is a generational gap. Society has changed since Hinkley, Barrett and co were the age Jack is. Back when they were at that age Social media was just hanging with your mates, or talking to them on a land line phone. The internet was still postal. Intolerance was tolerated. OHS was just don’t do anything stupid.

So yes bringing up the age difference is relevant as it shows that as time as progressed (regressed if you like) it shows that Ken’s emotional intelligence hasn’t evolved with the times.

I cannot believe there are so many sensitive petals on this forum.

Folks, everything Caro has said - and Leigh Matthews also !! - on 3AW is absolutely spot on.
I’m just amused by the way, when a media person says something critical about the club, they’re public enemy no. 1.
I challenge anyone to actually listen to that audio and actually specify where they’ve said something that’s unreasonable or inaccurate. Not just Caro, but Leigh also.

The simple fact is that Ginnivan totally stuffed up (and he’s apologised to the club for doing so). As Leigh says, he gave Port the edge they desperately needed. You can be sure that Ginnivan’s words were on a whiteboard in the Port rooms all week and that their coaches harped on it all week, giving the Port players a massive motivational weapon. As Leigh says, coaches will take and use whatever motivational advantage they can.

Putting aside the inappropriate response from Hinkley, you only have to look at the reaction of some of the Port players after the game - they were laughing at Ginnivan !!! If that doesn’t tell you something, I give up.

What really upsets me is this.
Our coaches and players have been sensational all year. Sam’s planning and attention to detail and marshalling of the team all year has been fabulous. And the players all bought into the plan and responded perfectly throughout the season. The coaches got us into the finals and, as Caro says, we were potentially heading into a grand final.

But then, absolutely beyond the coaches’s and other players’, control, Ginnivan, with a juvenile and arrogant statement, shoots his teammates, and the coaches, in the foot. It’s not just Caro saying that, it’s also one of the all time Hawthorn legends also.

(Some posters have been saying, but it was only a playful social media comment. Please, get real. Try saying that to the Port coaches and players before the game).

In all this, I feel very very sorry for Sam. He’s obviously disappointed by our close call and the miss by Sicily, but he’d also be privately gutted, after all his planning and coaching and brilliant player management during the year as he was potentially heading towards a grand final, by being sliced and diced by a stupid pregame comment by Ginnivan - completely beyond Sam’s control - which gave Hinkley and his coaching team the massive motivational weapon his players needed.

If the sensitive petals on this forum can’t understand that, but would prefer to attack the messenger, then that’s entirely your prerogative.
So what you're saying is that if Ginnivan didn't comment on instagram. Port wouldn't have tried their hardest and we'd win?

On the Sunday Footy Show - surprise, surprise - Barrett questioned Mitchell bringing up Hinkley's age and why it was relevant to his behaviour.

It has everything to do with it you flogs. I'm in my 30s and if I was coaching U12s, I wouldn't behave in that way towards the opposition kids nor would I give two s**ts to confront them like that post game.
Honestly, it is one of the strangest arguments.

Imagine thinking that a 50 something year old senior coach shouldn’t be held to a higher standard than a 21yr old player.

Utterly bewildering take.

What they fail to see is the difference between ages is relevant. As much as they don’t want to admit it, it is a generational gap. Society has changed since Hinkley, Barrett and co were the age Jack is. Back when they were at that age Social media was just hanging with your mates, or talking to them on a land line phone. The internet was still postal. Intolerance was tolerated. OHS was just don’t do anything stupid.

So yes bringing up the age difference is relevant as it shows that as time as progressed (regressed if you like) it shows that Ken’s emotional intelligence hasn’t evolved with the times.
Its probably regressed if anything.

Some of the media were ready to go hard, when we got knocked out of the finals, whether it was Ginnivan’s text, the players Selfies at the end of our winning games, or there goal Celebrations, it was inevitable

Wowee on the negativity on Ginnivan, to a text to a former teammate gets blown up is laughable
If a tweet made it onto the whiteboard in Port’s rooms, I can’t wait for Ken's flapping arms to appear in the Hawks’ rooms pre-game Hawks v Port in 2025.

There’s a thought, Hawk fans. Next win vs the Power (i.e. next game), get those arms flapping on the siren, Sheedy Scarf-esque

Honestly, it is one of the strangest arguments.

Imagine thinking that a 50 something year old senior coach shouldn’t be held to a higher standard than a 21yr old player.

Utterly bewildering take.
People just don’t like Ginnivan and Sicily. Had it been Dangerfield standing up for Stengle, we wouldn’t have most of these demented takes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People just don’t like Ginnivan and Sicily. Had it been Dangerfield standing up for Stengle, we wouldn’t have most of these demented takes.
They were all very happy to run with the Stengle ' drink spiking' a few months back .....most in the media know where their bread is buttered

As usual, the media "experts" who want to mount a defence of Ken (and complaints about the severity of the fine) are completely missing the point. They conflating their hatred for Hawks/Mitchell/Ginnivan/etc., with the fact old mate Kenny did something really stupid. The AFL absolutely needed to take a strong position on it, and Port's decision to accept the fine without further comment is appropriate.

Following the conclusion of the match, and after players from both teams had shaken hands and were exiting the field, a member of the coaching panel (the Senior Coach, no less) sought out an opposition player and taunted him. In itself, it was unnecessary and deliberately provocative of the player, and by extension his teammates. However, it also could have resulted in a very ugly wider confrontation. In fact, if Sicily (who understandably wanted to defend his teammate) had not needed to revert his attention back to Bruest (chairing him off), I have no doubt it would have escalated further. Ken is bloody lucky that Bruest was getting chaired off. If he had done it in a situation where both teams were just leaving the arena as normal, it probably would have been very messy for everyone. It was a very irresponsible thing for Ken (as one of the leaders of his football club) to do, and the AFL would have been really annoyed with him about it.

All credit to him and to Port for using the Ginnivan social media comment (and of course the utterly humiliating 84 point loss to Geelong on their home deck), as motivation for the game. They managed to hold on in a tight finish, and good for them. But don't give me this nonsense that "Hawthorn can give it but cannot take it" crap, or defence of Ken because he had a hard week at the office.

Ps. Credit to Impey for restraining Sicily and saying "let it go mate" (I think it was Impey, but I might be mistaken). He was the most mature head at that moment.

The shittest take I have seen so far
Fortunately, nobody ever takes what Caroline Wilson says seriously. I'm looking forward to next week when Sydney pulls down Port's pants and all the Power fans return to their chants of "Sack Hinkley".

RIP Kane Cornes Hawks nuffie

The funny thing about this is Kane seems to think this is a one-off for Hinkley. It's not, he's done it many times before. And he's calling Hinkley a great coach? Twelve years at Port, not one Grand Final, missed the finals 5 times. There must be some usage of the word "great" with which I am unfamiliar.

This was inevitable, unfortunately.

The AFL media is a bloated pustule dangling off the side of traditional media. About 30% is related to gameplan, tactics and skills (thanks to astute commentators like Jimmy Bartel) and the rest is frothy soap-media bullshit you'd otherwise believe was written about Desperate Housewives.

It never fails to amaze me how most of these overpaid buffoons continue to lambast modern day players for having no flair and trotting out the same cliches, whilst simultanously decapitating any team or player who shows the slightest hint of personality.

A lot of the media were congratulating the hawks on their "flair" and "antics" while we were winning, whilst secretly seething that these players looked like they were having fun. Footy is a serious business, right? How dare these little bastards look like they are enjoying themselves!

And so now we're out of finals, and they can lay in with both feet with this shrieking hyperbole and buffoonery. They'll be extracting the pound of flesh they were denied for most of the season.

Do I think Ginni regrets posting what he did? Of course. Do I reckon it "lost us the premiership"? Not on your life. It's a ridiculous narrative posited by headline-seeking vultures who have to flap their jaws for a certain number of hours per week or else they can't pay their mortgages.

This is all splendid fuel for the team for next year. We don't abandon our own. We don't trot our boys out for a public beheading. We'll take tickets and train even harder.

Side note - surely there is room in the (very overpopulated) AFL podcast ecosystem for a mediawatch-style accounting for all the AFL media shockjocks who get away with contradicting themselves week after week.

I hate that this issue is clouding our achievements this season, but at the risk of giving it any more oxygen, my problem with Hinkley isn't that he had a go back at Ginnivan per se. If he'd sent him links to Flight Centre the next day or something like that I reckon that would be fine. Ginni invited that sort of banter. But what I think caused him to get such a significant fine was that he chose to taunt a group of young men leaving the field after a combative game of football when their blood was up and their emotions heightened. There's a real risk in doing that. If one our players had snapped it could have turned ugly very quickly. Both teams were milling around in the same space, the crowd was baying and the normal rules of the game were no longer in force to restrain people. I just think that was absolutely the wrong time to make fun of your opponent. Do it later and do it with some wit and I'm all for it. Just not then.

Probably unsurprisingly one of the more sensible and rational takes I've seen - from Rohan Connoly:

Finally someone talking sense.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Hawthorn in the media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back