News Hawthorn in the media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Just like last years thread, whatever Barrett has to say is not Hawthorn in the media.

Couldn’t care less for his shit takes, they don’t belong here.

Probably unsurprisingly one of the more sensible and rational takes I've seen - from Rohan Connoly:

Rohan is one of the more understated journos going, but always one of the best imo.

brings up some very good points

Rohan is one of the more understated journos going, but always one of the best imo.

brings up some very good points
The only time he ever lost that mantle was during the drug scandal, when he found it hard to accept (for quite a while, if not through the whole thing) that any wrongdoing could have taken place with his Bombres.

Apart from that blip, he's been consistently top level for sanity and not just shit 'hot takes'

Marc might be better sticking to tennis or whatever it is that he usually focuses on.

Absolute cowards turning off comments on that tweet too. 😂

I hope the boys get stuck into Port after their prelim smashing.
Why?

Why waste their time playing those games?

I reckon Sam will have the boys thinking about and working on - how do we get better next year esp coping when side use pressure based man on man system, restrict the run past handball and our switch out wide.

This was inevitable, unfortunately.

The AFL media is a bloated pustule dangling off the side of traditional media. About 30% is related to gameplan, tactics and skills (thanks to astute commentators like Jimmy Bartel) and the rest is frothy soap-media bullshit you'd otherwise believe was written about Desperate Housewives.

It never fails to amaze me how most of these overpaid buffoons continue to lambast modern day players for having no flair and trotting out the same cliches, whilst simultanously decapitating any team or player who shows the slightest hint of personality.

A lot of the media were congratulating the hawks on their "flair" and "antics" while we were winning, whilst secretly seething that these players looked like they were having fun. Footy is a serious business, right? How dare these little bastards look like they are enjoying themselves!

And so now we're out of finals, and they can lay in with both feet with this shrieking hyperbole and buffoonery. They'll be extracting the pound of flesh they were denied for most of the season.

Do I think Ginni regrets posting what he did? Of course. Do I reckon it "lost us the premiership"? Not on your life. It's a ridiculous narrative posited by headline-seeking vultures who have to flap their jaws for a certain number of hours per week or else they can't pay their mortgages.

This is all splendid fuel for the team for next year. We don't abandon our own. We don't trot our boys out for a public beheading. We'll take tickets and train even harder.

Side note - surely there is room in the (very overpopulated) AFL podcast ecosystem for a mediawatch-style accounting for all the AFL media shockjocks who get away with contradicting themselves week after week.
I enjoyed this post, I found myself nodding in agreement all the way through. :)

The AFL's hands were pretty much tied after fining the Giants' Jason McCartney $20,000 the week before for his interaction with Sydney's Tom Papley.

I had my fun with a Port Adelaide mate of mine on Facebook this morning. He was asked if he was flying to Sydney this weekend. He said there was no point, and that he was saving his money for the Grand Final.

My response was that it must have been him who Hinkley said wouldn't be flying to Sydney, and that John Longmire has copied his comment and posted it on the board for motivation as proof of Port Adelaide supporters' arrogance and disrespect of Sydney. :)

It's a crazy world when a 60yo in a senior position in professional sport acts like that and gets the good narrative after the fact .
Yet the captain and coach sticking up and backing their player are at fault.

You can tell who has their mates and contacts in the media in this one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People have become so precious.
I love the arrogance that hawks played and celebrated with. I don’t mind for a second what Hinkley did. He is a flog and I can’t stand the bloke(like the port fan base) but he was giving a bit back. We are all grown ups aren’t we?

On the other note, maccas awards for everyone!

I love the arrogance that hawks played and celebrated with. I don’t mind for a second what Hinkley did. He is a flog and I can’t stand the bloke(like the port fan base) but he was giving a bit back. We are all grown ups aren’t we?

Ken is all bravado after a win, nothing during the game. Just Pepsi Max

Our young team has bravado because they know they are skilled and good. Listening to Breust last week, he said he's never seen a more committed group work on their craft then this young group. I bet if that's what he, Sam, and Gunston are saying, it's going to give them a lot of confidence.

would rather he didn't do it immediately post game and especially as we were lining up to celebrate Punky's 300th

pre-game, the next day, during the game, the offseason, i generally agree

Agree - Ginnivan started the drama with his tweet - he/we can't cry because there was return fire.

Though, you can probably argue what Hinkley did was pretty tasteless after winning the game and whilst in queue to show respect to a 300-gamer.

A $20,000 fine, though? Come on..

I've been sledged in various sports for many years. Winning says it all, never bothered wasting a breath immediately after a win. Said it before, Ken should have saved it and asked their social media team to do something smart. That would have gotten everyone on side. (And hopefully, been funny!)
It was premeditated. Jack always had this coming when we lost.

Ken is all bravado after a win, nothing during the game. Just Pepsi Max

Our young team has bravado because they know they are skilled and good. Listening to Breust last week, he said he's never seen a more committed group work on their craft then this young group. I bet if that's what he, Sam, and Gunston are saying, it's going to give them a lot of confidence.
We lost a game of footy to a team that outplayed us. They have every right to celebrate.
We will probably use Hinkley as motivation next season. I agree it wasn’t ideal while trying to celebrate a Hawk great but it unfortunately was when emotions were high.

I’m sure Ginni would have celebrated hard if he kicked a goal to put us in front which you would probably deem a non issue.

Agree - Ginnivan started the drama with his tweet - he/we can't cry because there was return fire.

Though, you can probably argue what Hinkley did was pretty tasteless after winning the game and whilst in queue to show respect to a 300-gamer.

I don’t feel the fine was because of the sledge. I feel the fine was because of the time and place.

If Ken had of issues the sledge in his press conference I don’t think the AFl would have said much at all.

Sam alluded to Hinkley being abusive towards Ginni. That's crossing the line and certainly worth a 20k fine. It also explains why Sic fired up so much and why Hinkley was apologetic later.

If it was just as reported, fine, cop it and move on. But abuse in response to "see you in 14 days" is a massive over reaction and deserves to be called out for being a shit campaigner!

Remove this Banner Ad

News Hawthorn in the media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back