News Hawthorn in the media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Just like last years thread, whatever Barrett has to say is not Hawthorn in the media.

Couldn’t care less for his shit takes, they don’t belong here.

People have become so precious.
I love the arrogance that hawks played and celebrated with. I don’t mind for a second what Hinkley did. He is a flog and I can’t stand the bloke(like the port fan base) but he was giving a bit back. We are all grown ups aren’t we?

On the other note, maccas awards for everyone!
I don’t have a problem with Hinkley dishing it out either but I do with the timing of it during Punky getting chaired off. I also don’t think Ginni would’ve had a a problem with it either. Still what’s done is done and we move on. Hopefully Hinkley holds his job so we can return serve.

Sam alluded to Hinkley being abusive towards Ginni. That's crossing the line and certainly worth a 20k fine. It also explains why Sic fired up so much and why Hinkley was apologetic later.

If it was just as reported, fine, cop it and move on. But abuse in response to "see you in 14 days" is a massive over reaction and deserves to be called out for being a shit campaigner!
Caro said on Footy Classified that Hinkley had yelled out to Ginnivan, “you’re not going anywhere you cheeky little f***!”

On a side note, isn't amazing that they're now talking about Hawthorn game plan Will be picked apart in the off season after one very good year, yet, scats and Swans get away with making top four almost every year without their game plan been front of mind!!! They're just very well run clubs! That's it, that's the explanation. Sam has already been on record about honing in the game style to be ahead of everyone else so I hardly think he be sitting on his hands waiting for everyone to rip out game style apart.

On a side note, isn't amazing that they're now talking about Hawthorn game plan Will be picked apart in the off season after one very good year, yet, scats and Swans get away with making top four almost every year without their game plan been front of mind!!! They're just very well run clubs! That's it, that's the explanation. Sam has already been on record about honing in the game style to be ahead of everyone else so I hardly think he be sitting on his hands waiting for everyone to rip out game style apart.

It's almost a calculated, Fox News style 'analysis' from people who know how to distort reality just enough that the people who don't like Hawthorn are able to enjoy what they're watching.

Kane Cornes in particular loves that network's approach (there's no law requiring news to be fact based on the USA, so next time you see someone from Fox on Sky News, it's worth keeping that in mind). The Fox formula is literally based on what Russian State TV rolls out to brainwash their own population. It's a mix of reality and truth designed to confuse your perception of what is real.

That said, anyone with a footy brain understands that teams know what the best sides are going to do; but they just can't stop them doing it.

To pretend that we don't have a jump on everyone else on with our game plan is silly. Defense against us will evolve, but we're going to get better at what we do too.

I'm sure other sides will start copying us, if they haven't already. But the final iteration of our style will be coming over the next year or two and it will be good enough for a few years after that.

But speaking to that made up narrative media coverage: in addition to Sydney it seems that Geelong are very good at being Geelong. They have been for a long time.

But we're not going to read stories about them, since popular opinion on them hasn't suddenly taken a sharp left turn over the past week.

It's silly stuff, but it does help pull an audience in. And AFL fans really do love to get bent out of shape about the Hawks.

It's almost a calculated, Fox News style 'analysis' from people who know how to distort reality just enough that the people who don't like Hawthorn are able to enjoy what they're watching.

Kane Cornes in particular loves that network's approach (there's no law requiring news to be fact based on the USA, so next time you see someone from Fox on Sky News, it's worth keeping that in mind). The Fox formula is literally based on what Russian State TV rolls out to brainwash their own population. It's a mix of reality and truth designed to confuse your perception of what is real.

That said, anyone with a footy brain understands that teams know what the best sides are going to do; but they just can't stop them doing it.

To pretend that we don't have a jump on everyone else on with our game plan is silly. Defense against us will evolve, but we're going to get better at what we do too.

I'm sure other sides will start copying us, if they haven't already. But the final iteration of our style will be coming over the next year or two and it will be good enough for a few years after that.

But speaking to that made up narrative media coverage: in addition to Sydney it seems that Geelong are very good at being Geelong. They have been for a long time.

But we're not going to read stories about them, since popular opinion on them hasn't suddenly taken a sharp left turn over the past week.

It's silly stuff, but it does help pull an audience in. And AFL fans really do love to get bent out of shape about the Hawks.
Well put. We're kind of a big deal. And need to embrace it.

During the 3peat era we broke so many brains that most of the AFL world is suffering from PTSD. During the season they couldn't say much because we were "young, fun and kind to the media". Deep down though it was festering, every win was triggering them. That voice in their heads reminding them of how shite their teams are, when they go to bed at night that voice screaming, "I'M F#$KING SICK OF THESE HAWTHORN CVNTS".
Then it happened, Ginni made a mistake posting online, then we lost. They found their excuse. We will spend the next few years paying for what we did in the 80s and what we did in the 3peat era.
Everyone, man, woman and child is petrified it's happening again.
We are Hawthorn, this is what we do.

During the 3peat era we broke so many brains that most of the AFL world is suffering from PTSD. During the season they couldn't say much because we were "young, fun and kind to the media". Deep down though it was festering, every win was triggering them. That voice in their heads reminding them of how shite their teams are, when they go to bed at night that voice screaming, "I'M F#$KING SICK OF THESE HAWTHORN CVNTS".
Then it happened, Ginni made a mistake posting online, then we lost. They found their excuse. We will spend the next few years paying for what we did in the 80s and what we did in the 3peat era.
Correct.
What sacres them even more???
Two words.

Destination club.

If it was a Hawks v Cats Grand Final, I’m sure the neutrals would jump on us (like 2008).

This Geelong team is a machine, even when they are not very good they grind out prelims and flags - and get better and better (Bailey Smith).

Marc might be better sticking to tennis or whatever it is that he usually focuses on.

Absolute cowards turning off comments on that tweet too. 😂
Just on that I quizzed Jake Naill about why some articles didn’t have the ability to add comments, he replied that due to cost cutting sometimes they didn’t have the staff to man the moderation desk. My thoughts are, as a daily reader of the Age, they expressly don’t have them or turn them off when they don’t want any controversy. Or they don’t like what is being said. You are right SYL they are editorial cowards.

Sam alluded to Hinkley being abusive towards Ginni. That's crossing the line and certainly worth a 20k fine. It also explains why Sic fired up so much and why Hinkley was apologetic later.

If it was just as reported, fine, cop it and move on. But abuse in response to "see you in 14 days" is a massive over reaction and deserves to be called out for being a shit campaigner!
I think we were more annoyed at the timing of the whole thing tbh .
It's a moment that Bruest never gets back.
Lacked graciousness and awareness from a senior person in the AFL.

Pretty sure if Boak was getting a guard of honour and our coach or players behaved like that they would be equally peeved .

I wouldn't have fined him though . He looked like a goose and their finals win is now remembered more for his antics rather then how they performed

Just on that I quizzed Jake Naill about why some articles didn’t have the ability to add comments, he replied that due to cost cutting sometimes they didn’t have the staff to man the moderation desk. My thoughts are, as a daily reader of the Age, they expressly don’t have them or turn them off when they don’t want any controversy. Or they don’t like what is being said. You are right SYL they are editorial cowards.
Since when do they moderate tweets.

And can't remember the last time they stopped comment on a tweet regarding one of their papers lifestyle articles either lol.

On SM-S906E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Caro said on Footy Classified that Hinkley had yelled out to Ginnivan, “you’re not going anywhere you cheeky little f***!”
If that's all he said then Ginni just needs to let it ride. Yes Ken needs to be better than that and not use expletives but at the end of the day Ginni lit the fuse. Anyways what's done is done and it's time to move on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it was a Hawks v Cats Grand Final, I’m sure the neutrals would jump on us (like 2008).

This Geelong team is a machine, even when they are not very good they grind out prelims and flags - and get better and better (Bailey Smith).

I agree 100%, most people love an underdog story, if that post match incident hadn't happened. But it's been framed in a way where the Hawthorn negativity has reered it's head.
In my non Hawthorn circles the word is that we are sooks and deserved getting beat because of how we carried on all year.

PS. I was trying to be abit dramatically funny in that post👍

Next season I think what you're going to see is a more calculated Hokball. Once we start to get a big lead using it I think due to our epic marking power down back with our new additions we'll be able to switch back to a more traditional game style which we didn't have the luxury in doing this season which will mean no huge momentum swings for the opposition which end up in us losing 3-4 games.

Also worth noting that it would be impossible for the opposition to pick apart our game plan with 2 key pillars of our backline not having even arrived yet. The only person that would have that ability at this stage is Sam because it's all likely in his head atm.

I think teams that are able to manage + slow oppo momentum at the drop of a hat are the ones that will win consistently. Interesting times.

Last edited:
It's a crazy world when a 60yo in a senior position in professional sport acts like that and gets the good narrative after the fact .
Yet the captain and coach sticking up and backing their player are at fault.

You can tell who has their mates and contacts in the media in this one.
The whole episode was bizarre to watch and the fallout is just as much.

My honest feeling is that Ginnivan was silly, Ken was wrong, Sicily's reaction was honourable but hothead in him made it way too long (Breust's 300th deserved more). Sam's reaction was fair enough given it was just after the event (disclaimer: I love Sam's press conferences). Ginnivan should be eternally grateful for his captain and coach sticking up for him so publicly, hope it makes him think twice about impulsive online responses in future (but having said that I think his banter was blown up out of all proportion like much of what he does). I also think the AFL's sanction was probably more than the situation warranted, overly sanctimonious.

My honest feeling is that Ginnivan was silly, Ken was wrong, Sicily's reaction was honourable but hothead in him made it way too long (Breust's 300th deserved more). Sam's reaction was fair enough given it was just after the event (disclaimer: I love Sam's press conferences). Ginnivan should be eternally grateful for his captain and coach sticking up for him so publicly, hope it makes him think twice about impulsive online responses in future (but having said that I think his banter was blown up out of all proportion like much of what he does). I also think the AFL's sanction was probably more than the situation warranted, overly sanctimonious.
Nailed everything perfectly. Well said 👏

It was always going to happen.

Media always like to build up a team while they're winning and tear them to shreds the moment they lose. We would have copped this heat sooner but we kept backing up our performances week in and week out. Now there's nothing to back up with our season over so they will pour the acid over us.

Seeing such a rational response to this whole saga brings me a tear of joy.

If that's all he said then Ginni just needs to let it ride. Yes Ken needs to be better than that and not use expletives but at the end of the day Ginni lit the fuse. Anyways what's done is done and it's time to move on.
He would've said more as he went on for a while. Ginnivan literally laughed it off at the time and didn't engage. Sicily and Sam were only fired up about it because it was a classless thing for a senior coach to do shortly after the siren while everyone in the vicinity was there to honour Breust in his 300th. That memory for Breust, one of the nicest good guys in the game, irrevocably tainted now.

Sorry Fleabane but you make too much sense for BigFooty, we come here for the irrational hysteria not well reasoned and logical discourse 😂

Ginni didn’t light any fuse like that. The fuse he lit led to a Hinkley response directly to his comment on instagram something like “Nope.”

The coward Hinkley took out his frustration from the press’s baying for his blood on Ginni. And the press, gormless cowards that they are, take no responsibility for tossing kerosene on that fire all week, pretending it was a five word post that added all emotion to the moment.

If Hinkley had a mature bone in his body, however, he would have crossed over and shook Ginni’s hand with a smile, demonstrating that’s all fair in love and war. They are colleagues in the footy business after all. Partners in the effort to secure our entertainment dollar.

And if the press had any sense of maturity, they would stop treating these interactions like something out of the movie Mean Girls.

He would've said more as he went on for a while. Ginnivan literally laughed it off at the time and didn't engage. Sicily and Sam were only fired up about it because it was a classless thing for a senior coach to do shortly after the siren while everyone in the vicinity was there to honour Breust in his 300th. That memory for Breust, one of the nicest good guys in the game, irrevocably tainted now.
Ironic thing is that had we all just ignored Kern whilst he was carrying on and didn't mention it, the media would be saying "Oh it's great how the coaches are showing flair and personality" whilst single handedly pulling us apart for the same thing.

Alas, we're back

Had to giggle at the article in the Hun this morning when the nimrod said surely the AFL umpires will be on to the Hawks small forwards next year about head high feee kicks.
Then said nothing about the two players from other clubs who had received more head high free kicks than any of our forwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Hawthorn in the media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back