News Hawthorn in the media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Just like last years thread, whatever Barrett has to say is not Hawthorn in the media.

Couldn’t care less for his shit takes, they don’t belong here.

Had to giggle at the article in the Hun this morning when the nimrod said surely the AFL umpires will be on to the Hawks small forwards next year about head high feee kicks.
Then said nothing about the two players from other clubs who had received more head high free kicks than any of our forwards.
One of them being Harley Reid. As sure as there's shit in a cat, you won't see any journo asking why Reid receives so many high frees. Maybe, like Wizard, he attacks the ball with speed and ferocity and the opposition struggle to tackle legally.
Wiz is 5 feet and change and is a ground ball player. He is going to get hit high and hit often just like tall strong forwards get arms draped over their shoulders.

It's almost a calculated, Fox News style 'analysis' from people who know how to distort reality just enough that the people who don't like Hawthorn are able to enjoy what they're watching.

Kane Cornes in particular loves that network's approach (there's no law requiring news to be fact based on the USA, so next time you see someone from Fox on Sky News, it's worth keeping that in mind). The Fox formula is literally based on what Russian State TV rolls out to brainwash their own population. It's a mix of reality and truth designed to confuse your perception of what is real.

That said, anyone with a footy brain understands that teams know what the best sides are going to do; but they just can't stop them doing it.

To pretend that we don't have a jump on everyone else on with our game plan is silly. Defense against us will evolve, but we're going to get better at what we do too.

I'm sure other sides will start copying us, if they haven't already. But the final iteration of our style will be coming over the next year or two and it will be good enough for a few years after that.

But speaking to that made up narrative media coverage: in addition to Sydney it seems that Geelong are very good at being Geelong. They have been for a long time.

But we're not going to read stories about them, since popular opinion on them hasn't suddenly taken a sharp left turn over the past week.

It's silly stuff, but it does help pull an audience in. And AFL fans really do love to get bent out of shape about the Hawks.
Buckley has said several times now that we will never get this moment back, hinting that he thinks teams took us too easy throughout the year but won't next year. Weird take.

Of course next year won't be the same - as it won't be for any team! I have full confidence Sam won't be letting anyone sit on their laurels and assume it will be the same next year either.

Side-note: one of the times I saw Bucks trot this out, Kane jumped straight in and said he has us as flag favourites already for next year (so much for jumping off us!), that we would improve and teams would have to catch us. Buckley sort of agreed...

Last edited:

If that's all he said then Ginni just needs to let it ride. Yes Ken needs to be better than that and not use expletives but at the end of the day Ginni lit the fuse. Anyways what's done is done and it's time to move on.
Yes definitely time to move on - really distracted from what was a classic finals contest. Loved the way we never caved or changed out style, just kept motoring through...almost.

I also think the AFL's sanction was probably more than the situation warranted, overly sanctimonious.

Your post is on the money, but I think the fine is actually a little bit of a slap on the wrist.

Hinkley stunk up the telecast of the only AFL game on TV for half of the weekend. He looked stupid, and old. Objectively it was dumb behavior from a guy who is close to retirement age. During finals, which are supposed to be a showcase for the game.

There is already trouble at underage games with post match violence that keeps some kids out of the sport.

Ken's act was harmless in the sense that nothing came of it. But what if Sicily had belted him, or Ginnivan had? What if it sparked a melee?

All of that could have transpired without using too much imagination, and the AFL have to protect the brand.

The NFL would have been a lot more severe on a coach who did the same, for that very reason.

I also think the AFL's sanction was probably more than the situation warranted, overly sanctimonious.
Bearing in mind that Clarko copped a 20k fine for calling someone a ********, do you not think that maybe Hinkley also said something to warrant that fine? Wouldn't that be more logical than dismissing it as overly sanctimonious?

It is truly mind boggling the amount of people who think he copped such a large fine for just waving his arms and telling Ginni he's not flying anywhere.

Bearing in mind that Clarko copped a 20k fine for calling someone a ********, do you not think that maybe Hinkley also said something to warrant that fine? Wouldn't that be more logical than dismissing it as overly sanctimonious?

It is truly mind boggling the amount of people who think he copped such a large fine for just waving his arms and telling Ginni he's not flying anywhere.
Fair enough to have that point of view. So what did he say?

Fair enough to have that point of view. So what did he say?
Clearly something to rile Sicily and cause the AFL to slap him with a big fine! If you look at the footage, you can see Rata grab him at one point, even he looked unimpressed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He called Jack a little ****head multiple times.
The **** could stand for one of multiple possible four-letter words in this context. I'm guessing it was of the more extreme variety, which would then justify the $20k fine.

Perhaps the fact that Port accepted the fine without any semblance of a protest is telling.

The **** could stand for one of multiple possible four-letter words in this context. I'm guessing it was of the more extreme variety, which would then justify the $20k fine.

Perhaps the fact that Port accepted the fine without any semblance of a protest is telling.

Kenny was back-pedalling within minutes

My amateur lip reading skills have him saying something like:

"Hey Jack, you're not flying!
You're not flying!
Not flying Jack!
You're not flying you f***heeeaad"

Of course this is just my honestly held opinion and I could be wrong. But if correct or thereabouts, I can't understand why people think it's OK for senior coaches to be smugly goading and insulting oppo players like that immediately upon a game finishing under the pretext of "BUT iT AdDS CoLoUR!!!".

This is my initial perspective on the whole Ginni-Hinkley situation. I don't get the narrative that many in the media and some irrelevant figures like Eddie are pushing—that the Hawks can dish it out but can't take it. What exactly have the Hawks dished out? We started playing an exciting brand of football—is that not allowed? The younger players added some flair with their goal celebrations—are they not allowed to? The team started taking selfies after games—were we supposed to invite the opposition to join in? Ginni went out for dinner before a game—how is that disrespectful to the opposition? Ginni made a cheeky social media post aimed at Grundy, which should be between Ginni and Grundy, and has nothing to do with Hinkley or the self-righteous media types. I don't see us dishing out anything to anyone in these examples, so what exactly is the media justifying here, supporting an old man for verbally abusing a player? The amusing part is that there are still two preliminary finals to be played, yet the media is more focused on the Hawks. It seems any news about the Hawks sells better than discussing a Port-Sydney prelim.

It's the club that gets fined anyway not him, as they said on the Eddie and jimmy podcast they will chuck it on the bottom line losses, then the AFL will just give back 20k more when they give the out the AFL allowance money at the end of the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Hawthorn in the media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back