Autopsy Hawthorn pipped at the post by Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Obviously devastated, especially after what they did to us in May but incredibly proud of this team, especially considering our 0-5 start to the season. We were probably a Will Day or Sam Frost short of winning tonight but that’s how it goes sometimes. I don’t want to single out players for criticism but jeez Chol was a hard watch these last couple of weeks after a great regular season.

What a season!

Tonight, I feel our inexperience caught us out a bit, lots of wrong decisions and fumbles. But kept at it, and only a post away from a win.

What a bloody year.
Love this club.

Have to be proud of that effort. A lot of players down on their best and they still needed luck to beat us. Two posters in the final quarter. Either goes through we win.

Thought Scrim, Meek, Newk, Wizard, Finn and Harry were our best over four quarters. Serong did well and Worpel was good overall.

Second half efforts from Weddle, Nash and Mass showed what they are made of.

Normally rock solid guys in Dimma, Amon and Impey were off their best. Moore was okay but not AA level and Sicily was well held for most of the night. Chol, Dear, CMac and Ginni had nights to forget sadly.

A great season and what an experience to play in two massive finals. The sky is the limit for his group.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always just so hard to make a GF when you finish outside the top 4, sooner or later it catches up with you.

Still what am effort to make a Qualifying Final from where we were. Let's get Barrass and Battle, get Day back and we should have a real crack at finishing top 4 next year.

Player wise Scrimmers played a huge first half to keep us in it, Meek and Newk were solid all night and I thought Finn and Harry were decent as well.

Wow. What a ride Hawks. Was always a big ask away at Port but mighty proud. Bigger and better next season.

As for Port they’ll get smashed next week. Sadly could be a Cats v Swans GF which means season over for me. Not remotely interested in those two campaigners winning a flag. I’m on the Lions bandwagon now.

Can't help but think back to 2007. Beat Adelaide in a classic elimination final then got well beaten by North Melbourne in the semi, but Hawthorn had arrived. I hope that history repeats.

That game was never on our terms but we kept fighting and never gave up. One kick ended up being the difference.

Our season was awesome. We saw the development of our younger players, and the emergence of some absolute stars. Our brand was the most exciting in the competition.

This was our 2007 and I can’t wait to see what comes next.

We will learn so much from this final experience. I am shattered for the boys I was jumping around like a school boy when the skipper took that hanger.

To think we hit the post 3 times late and fought back from being dominated early.

Alot of players had their colours lowered today but we showed heart and played for the jumper.

Great season boys on to 2025.

The first thing I want to say is what a season and as much as that is going to burn for a while as fans I really hope everyone in here keeps it classy and doesn't go to town on anyone that had a bad game.

Unfortunately at this stage it's not our time and as much as it hurts to get so close to winning we should all be bloody proud with the strides that the club has made this season on and off the field. I think the best thing to do now is to just let tonight marinate and then reassess in a day or 2.

Disappointed to lose but that truly would have been The Great Escape.

Learn from it lads. We’ll be back bigger & better next year for the experience.

Players were awesome all year.

Lost respect for Hinkley who took the easy route after the siren. If you can’t keep out of it then get off the field you knob.

Congrats to Port Adelaide players who played bravely and deserved the win.

Congrats to our brave players. We’ll be better next year and will be better for the run this year.

Dont know who to follow from here - probably winner of tomorrow’s game.

Hank’s to Captain Sicily and the rest of the team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawthorn pipped at the post by Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back