Preview Round 12, 2024: Hawthorn v Adelaide Crows, 1 June 2024, 1.45pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reeves isn't great around the ground, he ain't a brute,he's not Gunna slam players left right and centre, but hes tap work at the centre is good enough and that's all we need from him tomorrow.

It's a decent effort for an old bloke with a dodgy groin but Watson has been better over the course of their 6 games.

If we're picking off merit we pick Watson.

Watson has more touches, more goals, more goal assists, more score involvements, more pressure acts. He's been better than Breust across the board. What Punky brings to the team can't be measured on the stat sheet which I understand. His leadership would be invaluable for the young forwards but I feel like we are getting to a stage where it's Gunners or Punk and not both (at least in the 22).

The expectation for our side is rising and competition for spots is heating up.
Watson has had a lot more game time so of course his stats will be better on face value. Breust has only played the 2 full games and subbed in or out the other 4. If you worked out the averages you’d find Breust would be ahead. If you had said Watson has kicked more points, shots at goal I’d agree.

Some underrating of big RO'B from the crows here. He is not very skilled but he does work extremely hard around the ground and gets his hands to a decent amount of taps and marks. Something Meek would certainly match- but will be a real challenge for Reeves. Great opportunity.
O'Brien's averages:

12 Disposals - 16th amongst rucks
1.9 Marks - 21st amongst rucks
0.5 Contested Marks - 24th amongst rucks
3.2 Tackles - 17th amongst rucks

He's kicked 2 goals this season. He's a decent ruck but amongst rucks he's not one of the hardest running, best spreading blokes in the competition. If I could pick any club's 1st ruck to not have Meek against, O'Brien would be near the top of the list.

Watson has had a lot more game time so of course his stats will be better on face value. Breust has only played the 2 full games and subbed in or out the other 4. If you worked out the averages you’d find Breust would be ahead. If you had said Watson has kicked more points, shots at goal I’d agree.

I was pretty surprised to see their TOG is not too far apart. 45% for Punky and 66% for the Wiz. Roughly 20 minutes extra gametime for the Wiz. Doesn't seem right on the eye test.

Even accounting for it averaged out on minutes (if the above is correct) I'm pretty sure the Wiz will come out on most metrics minus disposal and goals where Punky probably edges him very slightly.

Once again they aren't very far apart. I'd drop Punky only if the universe somehow had to include Watson in the 22 and someone had to make way based on merit.

Reeves and Chol will do the job, no problem. Absolutely love what Meek has brought to the side, but those two should be able to cover his absence.
I thought the last round match against Freo was our most important game last year, and I think tomorrow's game is the most important so far this year. Two sides around the same stage, a match that will certainly give us a good indication as to where we are at. TBH, Hawks have been better than I thought they would be this year, certainly boosted by the early return of Day, who is an elite A-grade midfielder. I'm confident the lads get the job done tomorrow, and the so-called "experts" will finally sit up and take notice.
Hawks by 17-25 for me.

If there was a better weather forecast for tomorrow, I reckon this game would have pushed 50K+ in attendance.

Back at the G, a spike in form and a decent game anticipated with two evenly matched teams. Plus Gunners 250th and the 2014 Premiership acknowldgement.

Looking forward to it

O'Brien's averages:

12 Disposals - 16th amongst rucks
1.9 Marks - 21st amongst rucks
0.5 Contested Marks - 24th amongst rucks
3.2 Tackles - 17th amongst rucks

He's kicked 2 goals this season. He's a decent ruck but amongst rucks he's not one of the hardest running, best spreading blokes in the competition. If I could pick any club's 1st ruck to not have Meek against, O'Brien would be near the top of the list.

Indeed Reeves went head to head with O’Brien the last 3 meetings

Mitchell on sen said watto had hammy issues and they didn't want to put too much pressure as hammies tend to reoccur when they happen early in the career.
In the next breath he says Watson will play vfl....

Watson has been dropped
Dropped? He was already out of the team managing an injury. He’s simply returning through the VFL so they can manage his minutes for the reasons you’ve quoted Sam.

He’s a talented kid but he’s also 19 and not yet a guaranteed walk up start when we have so many available now and are coming off a good win.

Sam mentioned that a run in the VFL would do him good but also said watching him at training he wouldn’t have minded having him in the seniors.

If there was a better weather forecast for tomorrow, I reckon this game would have pushed 50K+ in attendance.

Back at the G, a spike in form and a decent game anticipated with two evenly matched teams. Plus Gunners 250th and the 2014 Premiership acknowldgement.

Looking forward to it
Weather app says sunny and 15?

I don't think playing a 19 year old kid at BH is as a big deal as some are making it out to be. İt's in fact, quite normal. We're just so use to Sam playing our high end talented kids almost exclusively in the seniors once they're drafted by the club. Watson is nowhere near the finished product, I'd say we've only seen 30-40% of his capabilities. He has plenty of time to in front of him to prove his worth in time, Breust on the other hand doesn't. Let the old champ off the leash for his mate on the MCG.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dropped? He was already out of the team managing an injury. He’s simply returning through the VFL so they can manage his minutes for the reasons you’ve quoted Sam.

He’s a talented kid but he’s also 19 and not yet a guaranteed walk up start when we have so many available now and are coming off a good win.

Sam mentioned that a run in the VFL would do him good but also said watching him at training he wouldn’t have minded having him in the seniors.

Every team does it with players who might draw a headline. One week off then into the ressies

Every team does it with players who might draw a headline. One week off then into the ressies
OK, so just to be clear, you don't believe they're managing any hamstring tightness? You just think this was an elaborate 2 week process to avoid criticism for dropping a first year player?

Outside of playing North, last week was the first time in years that I was fairly confident we'd win a game against a decent opponent. Not just be competitive and not get smashed, but actually win the game.

I think we will give a good account of ourselves against the Crows. No Meek is a big loss IMO, but the midfield unit should still be matching them around the contest.

We just need our forwards to fire and to find a matchup for Fogarty and Walker (Weddle and Frost respectively?), and we are a great chance.

OK, so just to be clear, you don't believe they're managing any hamstring tightness? You just think this was an elaborate 2 week process to avoid criticism for dropping a first year player?

Is he playing for Box Hill or resting another week? I thought he was named for them.

Is he playing for Box Hill or resting another week? I thought he was named for them.
Named for BHH. But MM seems to be suggesting that Watson’s week off last week was just so the coaches could drop him and avoid headlines.

Where was this suggested by MM?
Read back through the quoted posts. He said Watson was dropped. I pointed out that he was already out of the team last week with an injury and that coming back through Box Hill is normal given the circumstances. MM then said that clubs away do it (drop them by giving them a week off with "injury" and then back through seconds) as a way to avoid headlines.

Read back through the quoted posts. He said Watson was dropped. I pointed out that he was already out of the team last week with an injury and that coming back through Box Hill is normal given the circumstances. MM then said that clubs away do it (drop them by giving them a week off with "injury" and then back through seconds) as a way to avoid headlines.
He definitely wasn’t dropped last week, he was rested due to his hamstrings. He would’ve been close this week but with Breust playing in his mates 250th, no clear option to come out he’ll go down to VFL and it won’t likely be for a long stint. Laughable to suggest otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back