Preview Round 12, 2024: Hawthorn v Adelaide Crows, 1 June 2024, 1.45pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was talk about selection being on merit rather than pure development this year, and all of a sudden if we win this we have a glimmer of hope for finals.

Who would you take out for Watson to make this team more likely to win tomorrow?

I think it's the right call.

Based off merit I would let Punky (especially when he isn't fully fit) make way for the Wiz but that isn't happening on Gunners big day.

Reeves is lucky to be back in really- got touched up in the VFL by Darcy Fort

Wiz playing for Box Hill this week
Probably an unpopular opinion but he needs to. He has all the skill in the world he just needs something to bridge that gap in speed, he's rushing himself too much at AFL level. This gives him an opportunity to dominate a game before coming back into the seniors.

Probably an unpopular opinion but he needs to. He has all the skill in the world he just needs something to bridge that gap in speed, he's rushing himself too much at AFL level. This gives him an opportunity to dominate a game before coming back into the seniors.
I wasnt ready for the Wizard to play VFL but I know it will do him good.
Enjoy him rip up the two's before making a bold entrance back onto the big stage.
giphy.gif

Mitchell on sen said watto had hammy issues and they didn't want to put too much pressure as hammies tend to reoccur when they happen early in the career.
In the next breath he says Watson will play vfl....

Watson has been dropped

Mitchell on sen said watto had hammy issues and they didn't want to put too much pressure as hammies tend to reoccur when they happen early in the career.
In the next breath he says Watson will play vfl....

Watson has been dropped

I will be interested to see if Watto plays a full game or not

5 disposals, 1.1 goals in just over 10 minutes of game time not good enough for you?

It's a decent effort for an old bloke with a dodgy groin but Watson has been better over the course of their 6 games.

If we're picking off merit we pick Watson.

Watson has more touches, more goals, more goal assists, more score involvements, more pressure acts. He's been better than Breust across the board. What Punky brings to the team can't be measured on the stat sheet which I understand. His leadership would be invaluable for the young forwards but I feel like we are getting to a stage where it's Gunners or Punk and not both (at least in the 22).

The expectation for our side is rising and competition for spots is heating up.

Last edited:
It's a decent effort for an old bloke with a dodgy groin but Watson has been better over the course of their 6 games.

If we're picking off merit we pick Watson.

Watson has more touches, more goals, more goal assists, more score involvements, more pressure acts. He's been better than Breust across the board. What Punky brings to the team can't be measured on the stat sheet which I understand. His leadership would be invaluable for the young forwards but I feel like we are getting to a stage where it's Gunners or Punk and not both.

Or we're picking the experienced player to help us win what might be our first genuine 'must-win' game in years.
Sky won't collapse if we lose, but on current form, a victory tomorrow means we actually have a faint hope of finals to play for.
We wouldn't have been in that position since 2019.
It's why the Port loss hurts even more.

There is romance in picking Punky to play alongside Gunners in a milestone game, but it can be justified also.

Or we're picking the experienced player to help us win what might be our first genuine 'must-win' game in years.
Sky won't collapse if we lose, but on current form, a victory tomorrow means we actually have a faint hope of finals to play for.
We wouldn't have been in that position since 2019.
It's why the Port loss hurts even more.

There is romance in picking Punky to play alongside Gunners in a milestone game, but it can be justified also.

It's not like the Wiz is blowing Breust out the water (yet) so I've got no problems if they let the Wiz work on some things in the 2s while Punky plays seniors.

I was just answering a hypothetical on who would come out for the Wiz based on merit and they both play in a similar position.

I think it speaks volumes about the Wiz who is already putting in such a high level of performance and will only get better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watson has had some nice moments of quality, but he's also made some poor mistakes and skill errors, which we hope are just him adjusting to the pace of the game and the size/speed of his opponents.

He seems to be down on confidence right now - evidenced by his mistakes when he has some time to think. When he's playing on instincts is when we have seen the class shine through. He needs to marry both sides of his game now, which is only a matter of time.

Reeves is lucky to be back in really- got touched up in the VFL by Darcy Fort
"Touched up" is overstating it somewhat. Beaten maybe, but not by much. And Fort is a big lump, probably more suited to the new rules.

Not that it matters, Meek is out, therefore Reeves is in.

Some underrating of big RO'B from the crows here. He is not very skilled but he does work extremely hard around the ground and gets his hands to a decent amount of taps and marks. Something Meek would certainly match- but will be a real challenge for Reeves. Great opportunity.

Some underrating of big RO'B from the crows here. He is not very skilled but he does work extremely hard around the ground and gets his hands to a decent amount of taps and marks. Something Meek would certainly match- but will be a real challenge for Reeves. Great opportunity.
I don't think it's a case of underrating ROB at all. Meek is certainly a better matchup, but Meek is injured, so Reeves it is.

Reeves has not excelled at VfL level. He is Very Good in the centre at VFL level and then… near non existent. He has the skill but never uses them.

Frankly, I want Reeves to dominate the smaller O’Brian in the ruck contests. O’Brian is all about the follow up. If Reeves steps back and ensures no easy out… with low based-tackles … I think he wins. But history says Reeves just watches the small people around him do their thing while he assess his next ruck contest. If he does this on the weekend, Grrrr.

This is the perfect game for Reeves.

And if he does not match O’Brian… WOW.

Head to head with O’Brien done OK a win a loss and a close loss. We cold also run Nash around the ground with him a bit too

There’s talk of new ruck rule. Is O’Brien noticeably better this year than last?

Apparently meek got a touch up from Marshall. But how did the game go? Two weeks later commentators were saying Marshall is a bit over rated and a turnover merchant

Meek out injured.
Who do we bring in instead of Reeves ?
Watson ?
Yeah righto Einstein just saying he’s lucky with the Meek injury - on form Reeves doesn’t deserve to be there

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back