Autopsy Hawthorn pipped at the post by Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

To the port supporter who said the umpires were the only reason we were even close:

You literally wouldn't have scored in the first quarter without the umpires, you illiterate half human cretin, go brush your tooth, your breath stinks.

Feels horrid, so sad for the story of 2024 to come to an end. Fitting that it was so close, we've had our collective butts clenched for 20 weeks now.

Immensely proud of the club, keep working hard and getting better lads.
Feels a little vindicating that we didn't lose playing our brand. Will hopefully give the boys confidence and drive that we can match other teams in their style too.

Thank you Hinkley. That is such precious fuel for us moving forward. He is going to regret his carry on big time next year. Such a stupid amateur thing for a coach to do… you never give an opposition team leverage like that.
Apparently that was about Ginni and his message about see you in 14 days……according to Bucks. Still a flog though. A coach should be bigger than that.

Great season. Proud of the effort.

Congratulations to Port, hope they do Sydney next week.

On a side note, it was frustrating reading the arrogant posts on here all week.
100% agree. I couldn’t fathom how some posters were just looking past Port. They finished 2nd for a reason. Getting touched up by the Cats doesn’t define your season, they done the same to us only 6-8 weeks earlier… Drinking our own bath water some fans I think

Hope Sam goes to town on that game. It was the least Hawthorn game we’ve played for so long, and he needs to understand why.

But fantastic season. To be disappointed in losing now shows how far we’ve come. Let’s skip forward a few months and start the next season

It’s not this simplistic but it was two main things.

Firstly, Port played their Grand Final. During no game this season have they applied that level of manic pressure with every one of their players doing it. It’s one thing to know it’s coming and another to experience it. It limited our running game and turned it into a contested slog.

Secondly, D’Ambrosio was tagged. It highlighted that we are very reliant on his run and skills during transition. We really need a fit CJ or another recruit to provide it. We moved CMac there but, like many players, he didn’t handle the pressure well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After what happened to Port last week they were always going to come out breathing fire and play like their careers depended on it.

I thought it was surprising to see so many posters and media heads write them off all week. They had finished second in the end for a reason after all.

We just couldn't really match the intensity and were unable to get our gameplan working. Our half forwards couldn't get involved as much and Macdonald saved his worst game for the year for tonight.

Port did their homework and came to play, you have to give them credit for that, and give ourselves some credit for fighting it out when the entire game was played on their terms. Plus we had our best player, our best KPF and our FB out of the side.

Hawks were brave but unfortunately couldn't get the job done tonight.

Still proud of making the finals after being 0-5 and 2025 is looking very bright.

I actually thought our defence stood up reasonably well given the early barrage.

A lot of uncharacteristic errors due to finals pressure.

With Barrass and Battle next year, do we move Sicily forward?

100% agree. I couldn’t fathom how some posters were just looking past Port. They finished 2nd for a reason. Getting touched up by the Cats doesn’t define your season, they done the same to us only 6-8 weeks earlier… Drinking our own bath water some fans I think
People were looking past port because it's a hell of a lot better than crying about losing before it's even happened.

Those on here saying that we weren't at our best aren't factoring in how much Port contributed to that. They tagged the right players (Dambrossio and Sicily) and they curbed our ball movement with pressure. We never had time to get our game going. Its how we have been beaten in every game we have lost this season. I can't help but think we need some more midfield speed to be a real contender in 2025. Day will be a welcome addition but it will be interesting to see if they bring in anyone else over the trade period.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawthorn pipped at the post by Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back