Autopsy Hawthorn pipped at the post by Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Well… that’s the end of the season. Really sad. To be there was insane. Atmosphere amazing, great game. That first qtr destroyed us and the goal right before half time was the one that got away. Sic and Moore both with posters, and some dumb conversion mistakes from others that cost us.
Hinkley is an a**hole; almost losing, then mouthing off at Sic, no wonder his fans turn on him so quickly.
Disappointed at the result, so many moments where we could’ve won, but can’t change it now.
On a good note, so proud of the boys for making it this far. From 17th to 3 points from a Prelim is pretty incredible. We’ve had an amazing run, and hopefully we can carry that into 2025, start our season off good, and get a double chance at the end of the season. Will have Blanck, Day, Frosty, Lewis, Barras, Battle all in, and will be unstoppable. Breust and Moore in their milestone games pretty darn good. Boys who were consistent and game winning all year were Jars, Mass, Sic, Calsh, Watto, Ginni, Amon, Newc, Meek, Nash, Scrimma, Frosty, Breust, Worps, Weddle and Croc. So proud of everyone’s efforts all year round and throughout this finals series. Sam Mitchell = coach of the year! Can’t wait to see what 2025 brings. Go Hok! 🤎💛

Last edited:

Port tagging Mass was smart.
Our one mid who can cut you up with his foot skills.
We needed another 1 or 2.
(Day and Mckenzie could have helped)

Hats off to Harry Morrison. He was clean and composed when a lot of his team mates weren't.
Harry (and Finn to actually) have played very solid finals footy when some of our other bigger names struggled.

Harry just such a clean user of the ball and he's underrated for his hardness as well.

It’s not this simplistic but it was two main things.

Firstly, Port played their Grand Final. During no game this season have they applied that level of manic pressure with every one of their players doing it. It’s one thing to know it’s coming and another to experience it. It limited our running game and turned it into a contested slog.

Secondly, D’Ambrosio was tagged. It highlighted that we are very reliant on his run and skills during transition. We really need a fit CJ or another recruit to provide it. We moved CMac there but, like many players, he didn’t handle the pressure well.
Weddle will hold down the other wing next year. Battle will replace him in the backline.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After what happened to Port last week they were always going to come out breathing fire and play like their careers depended on it.

I thought it was surprising to see so many posters and media heads write them off all week. They had finished second in the end for a reason after all.

We just couldn't really match the intensity and were unable to get our gameplan working. Our half forwards couldn't get involved as much and Macdonald saved his worst game for the year for tonight.

Port did their homework and came to play, you have to give them credit for that, and give ourselves some credit for fighting it out when the entire game was played on their terms. Plus we had our best player, our best KPF and our FB out of the side.
Port finished 2nd only because we shat the bed in round 10. Otherwise we'd be 2nd.

Oh man I am so proud of the boys- what a season! What a set of amazing performances and results. Has been a brilliant year and everyone should feel proud.

Hinkley embarassing himself tonight - absolute joke of a coach. Pathetic. Contrast to Sam's performance - brilliant. Love the leadership of our club and how much better it is than other clubs that are further ahead of our rebuild.

We never got our game going tonight - their pressure was too high, and they still only got us by 5 points. When a game is that close it's a matter of moments and luck and chances - and so there it is. Didn't fall our way tonight.

Jai Newcombe is elite
Watson is totally elite - focused, and clearly a big game and a big moment player.

There's no way Georgiardes gets 7 shots at goal if we have Frost or battle or barass in the backline. So Im glad the future looks bright.

Horne Francis and Rioli were awesome tonight. Every time they did something brilliant they had a hawk tackling or hanging off them. Sometimes the other guys are just really good.

Sciily did everything to pull the team over the line. The scramble kick and the poster were mere centimetres from him being a hero for us again.

I ****ing love this club and I'm smiling tonight despite the loss

Chol absolute rubbish in both games as a forward. We need to go after another young tall forward in trade period. Yes he kicked 30 goals in the regular season but was below par in both finals

He tried his guts out. He set us up in a few passages of play. Which is more than what I can say about this post, which is pretty ordinary

Thank you Hawk kids for the great season we enjoyed. I am sure this is another 2007 moment. We will come with a vengeance next year.
We have most lines covered now with the new additions coming next year to back line. We still need a power forward I feel for next year. It will be a very interesting year ahead.
Again a big thank you to Sam and the coaching staff.

We’ve got a lot to be excited about. Going to be a fun next few years. And I’m here for it.

You back the boys win or lose.

As for Ken, classless bloke, no wonder he hasn’t achieved anything meaningful.

Doesn’t matter what happens in Sydney next week, the Cats are going to absolutely waltz this in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawthorn pipped at the post by Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back