Autopsy Hawthorn pipped at the post by Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Miffed by the posters saying player x or player y cost us the win tonight... you could just as easily say the umpire interpretation of the rules of afl, cost us the game with two goals to Port in the 1st qtr alone.. be proud of the club and the effort tonight.
That absolutely bizarre decision with like 35 seconds left in the first half can be looked at also as a turning point. Just incredulous we didn't have an idea how much time was left and play for half time 🤯
So proud of us but we made some costly costly mistakes

Losing Frost killed us. We couldn't stop Georgiades in the end.

I knew the Ginni tweet would bite us. Hodge was right, shut the fk up mate. Why on earth would you give your oppo extra motivation. Probably cost us in the end. Hope he learns from it.

We need to give Harry another contract. Probably our best on the night.

Meek lost the ruck dual, but tried his guts out.

Too many down on the night to cover. They brought the heat and we couldn't cope.

On to trade period. Hope this spurs us to make a few more we didn't think we would.

Hopefully Port plays us at the G next year not Tassie. Assuming Hinkley keeps his job, we can all be looking forward to his visit. Classy fellow.
Nah, I hope he keeps the job but is like 2-7 and we play them at Adelaide oval and thrash them by 150 and the #sackhinkley crew eat him on the way out of the ground.

That absolutely bizarre decision with like 35 seconds left in the first half can be looked at also as a turning point. Just incredulous we didn't have an idea how much time was left and play for half time 🤯
So proud of us but we made some costly costly mistakes

They were mistakes that we can learn from. As others have stated this is the loss that burns deep. We are going to be premiers next year. Other supporters are going to hate us

What a game - like I'm just so proud of the team:
  • Newcombe is genuinely elite. Averaging 33 touches this finals series. Neither doggies or port had an answer for him.
  • Chol didn't kick a bag - but I loved his game tonight. I don't think he got a single kick to his advantage tonight - but he tapped, competed, stayed on his feet, chased and tackled all night long.
  • Wizard earned his stripes tonight. Last week we were on top all night. Tonight we struggled and he still kicked 3. Averaging 3.5 goals a final across his career.
  • We were one classy mid short. That's McKenzie or Will Day - or another year into Ward.
  • We are not used to a team that can hold tackles like Port did tonight. So many plays thwarted cos he couldn't break a tackle that we normally would. Well done Port.
  • I'd give anything for a forward that can mark a big kick into the forward line. Sorely missing again tonight. Chol and Dar are both jumping players, not contest players
  • Scrimshaw deserves 1.2 over 4 years
  • Impey, Amon, Ginni and CMac are icing rather than cake. All four worked hard but if thes guys are getting 20+ it means it's an open game and we are well in control
  • Love Meek .
*Hardwick was so hot and cold tonight. Love him. Feel bad for him. Rioli was awesome tonight.

Conor Rozee getting giddy with a shiteating grin watching and laughing at Ken mouth off at opposition players after a win says it all.

That’s the leadership of your club, the couch and the captain - what an embarrassment.

The definition of a small bogan club in Australia’s smallest market. Won hundreds of flags in a tinpot competition but have failed time after time in the big league.

The donut and Port Power were born for each other, I’m just glad the poster earnt him another year.

That said he did coach very well.

Like 2007 we’ll probably back up and win a flag sometime over the next three years. It’s all part of the journey

The reality is that we couldn’t beat Sydney, Port and Geelong this year, and that is going to be the next step , beating the very best (although i wouldnt call port the very best)
Yeah and I'm okay with that. 3 sides that are clearly better than us this year. We're still rebuilding.

I knew the Ginni tweet would bite us. Hodge was right, shut the fk up mate. Why on earth would you give your oppo extra motivation. Probably cost us in the end. Hope he learns from it.
Seriously. It was a semifinal, Port Adelaide needed to win, if they needed Ginnivan's tweet to motivate them, they are a pretty sorry bunch. It wouldn't have made a scrap of difference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Listening to Hinkley’s presser, Ginnivan’s post probably cost us that game.

The game plan needs a tweak, we were the hunted tonight. Not aggressive enough.
I would not have re-signed Gunston or Bruest. Neither will be in the team if we make a prelim or better in 2025. And Sicily should have kicked that goal. It hit the top of the post from 51m - there was no need to run around. We had a great crack but are still a fair way off winning three or four finals. I have no doubt we will do the work required to be better in 2025.

Pick 13 for Barrass straight swap, nothing extra needed. Let’s hope we good a good one with Pick 30.

Into tonight’s team: Day, Lewis, Barrass, Battle
you’re a good poster. Go and have a good lie down if you think Ginni being a flog (our flog) on social media has anything to do with the outcome

Hinkley making me barrack for Sydney FFS, what a tosser
I'd give this 100 likes if I could. One of the most embarrassing moments I can recall.
Gracious in victory? Not greyhound Ken. Hope Papley kicks 8 and urinates all over Ken and Connor post game.
campaigner

Really proud of the club. Port were on top for most of that game, so to be right in the game up until the final siren was a great effort.

I think it goes to show thay Sam has built a game plan and team that withstands finals football. We almost won that game when we weren't playing out best.

I don't think Sam had his best coaching game though. Start of the 4th, scores level. Sends Sicily forward at the start of the quarter. Port bang on 3 quick goals. Yes Sicily was dangerous up forward after that, but it definitely unsettling us down back. Just thought it was a bit desperate, kinda playing hero ball at that stage when we didn't have to.

If we were already down a gew goals, sure that move would make sense. But not when scores were level and we were kinda grinding our way to be on top.

Good to hear Hodgey having a crack at Hinkley.
As a coach has to be better than thet.

On SM-S906E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Some people criticise Hodge, Lewis and Burgoyne for not being pro Hawthorn in their media gigs. There was no hiding their true loyalties tonight as each expressed their disgust at Hinkley’s behaviour

Much respect to sic for that

Congrats Sam, the players and all the Hawk staff for an unforgettable ride! Onwards and upwards in ‘25!

I am so proud of this club. Great season and great leaders.

Sam, every Hawthorn member applauds you, the coaches and the team for a great ride in 2024. Your heartfelt and controlled media conference tonight was superb. You are a gem.

To the players, we know the result will burn more for yourselves than it does for us supporters. The future is yours for the taking. You have made the rest of us believe once again.

Thank you

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawthorn pipped at the post by Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back