Autopsy Hawthorn pipped at the post by Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Literally pipped BY the post Sicily hit.

But as an Eagles fan, I was a bit baffled by myself when I got caught up in the whole Hokmania, was going for your boys just to see how far they'd go. Wasn't their best game but they fought it out to the end and can hold their heads up high. Will be scary next season I would think. Meanwhile the other big birds have barely left the rebuild nest...

I didn't say that did I?

All I said was that Ginnivan's post sounded complacent. I was assured it wasn't and that he was a "character" etc etc...
Well he, like Hawthorn, seemed shocked when Port came out to play. Like they didn't expect a contest. They got one.

We stablisied and should have won (we had a much better side out than Port let's be honest) but we didn't. The one player whose performance did not improve as the game went on was Ginni's. He had an absolute stinker.

SO, if its okay with you, I'll state my preference that from now on, Jack doesn't post social media where he appears complacent about a finals game. Never ends well.
Keep in mind Ginnivan kicked 2 , Dear kicked 1 and Gunston didn’t really fire a shot. But your attention is not the other two , it’s on Ginnivan. A 3 point loss is not down to a tweet. It’s hundreds of actions within a game.

Hinkley what a ****head

Didn't think i could hate port more but there you go

Welcome to our world, the club is run and full of slime - Hinkley being the worst of them.

They ironed out Rankine a few weeks ago and all they did was play the victim card, sesspit.

Yeh I agree.

Would we have won if Ginni didn't post that?

I reckon if Ginni didn't post it Hinkley might have acutally focused on his own shortcomings that led to an 80 point thrashing at home from Geelong.

Ginni is a dickhead. It might of been somewhat general banter between clubs but why would the hell you give ANY sort of motivation to a club going into a final is really beyond belief. Meek a superstar again. Confused why to sign on Gunston and Breust again and not move forward. Battle free agent and good pick. I would keep first round pick rather than 29 year old Barass although he is good.

Heartbroken 💔 but excited for what's to come! We should use the pain from this final loss to push us to greatness in the years to come!

As for the game itself, i thought we looked quite flat and not quick enough with our disposal of the ball. Sicily was absolutely huge in defence and even more so when he got pushed forward. Even though he hit the post, that mark he took was incredible. Unfortunately Chol & Moore continued their poor finals form and Dear was very quiet, very hard to win a game when your 2 KPF's aren't having much impact, the delivery i50 wasn't great tonight though either (i think overall this is a big weakness across our last few years, hope we get cleaner).

Onto next year now! Up the hawkers, always remember 'riding the bumps with a grin'.

Outplayed all night and nearly stole it. Can’t complain. What a year. Port without their entire half back line and still killed us down there - pretty impressive from them. A lot of our players had a poor game due to Port shutting them down. Also surprised by Butters not getting involved in that circus at the end. Had him earmarked as the type. Would have been happy for Sicily to continue on and eyeball Hinkley (probably would have if it wasn’t Breust’s 300th).

We really couldn't buy a mark around the ground could we?

Weddle, Scrim, newcombe, Nash, Dear and Chol are all guys that take contested marks when things are flowing our way - but they couldn't do it tonight.

Sad and disappointed but honestly the best team won tonight. Proud of us for getting close

I know this is a post match review but…

Thanks to the players, coaches, social media team, fans and all associated. We made football fun, brought smiles back and made us proud again of our team.

An interstate loss by 3 points doesn’t define us but will galvanise us. Let’s go Hawks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The game reminded me of all the things that were going wrong for us last year and early this year. We'd have everything flowing and be 1 decision from a walk in goal and stuff it.

Sicily kicking into Amon's back, we had loose players out but it's a goal against.

Hardwick tick into port players head.

Newcombe doing the exact thing Mitchell was giving Scrimshaw a spray for against gold coast. Risky kick to the middle with 30 seconds left.

Impy taking too long and getting caught.

Dear handball go Moore.

Weddle trying to take 2 players on 50 out instead of just putting it on the boot.

Sicily dropped mark then dribbler that missed.

Ginnivan not scoring on the snap

Moore hitting post.

Ward and Moore messing it up in the middle.

Little things were if we are on and not daunted by pressure we just tap it to the spare, or take the first option.
Probably the most frustrating thing about the loss (aside from losing to those Port w@nkers). Port played better only because we weren’t at our best.

We don’t make those mistakes and the game is ours. Can only learn from it. Need to take your opportunities when they present themselves because the opposition will.

The most annoying type of loss where the opposition plays out their skins and we play poorly and only just lose.

Tremendously proud of our guys fighting back like that. I thought our inexperience showed in moments. When we had the ball with about 30 seconds left in the first half we just had to go down the line.

Not as disheartened as I thought i'd be by this result, think it showed we were probably a few injured personnel short of contending this year.

Super excited for next season, even if we just had Barrass and Battle we win that game.

Go Hawkers

Think this is the peak of what it looks like when a young rambunctious team plays interstate in a final that they weren't expected to get to.

We showed heart for the entire 120 minutes.
We showed glimpses of polish and a few great runs of play
We kept having a crack - even after their 3 goal burst.

Add Day, Battle, Barass and Frost to that - even one or two of them, and we're onto a prelim.

It'll work out best for us that this year wasn't a waltz through the finals.

Think this is the peak of what it looks like when a young rambunctious team plays interstate in a final that they weren't expected to get to.

We showed heart for the entire 120 minutes.
We showed glimpses of polish and a few great runs of play
We kept having a crack - even after their 3 goal burst.

Add Day, Battle, Barass and Frost to that - even one or two of them, and we're onto a prelim.

It'll work out best for us that this year wasn't a waltz through the finals.
Yeah Day was a huge out tonight, in a manic pressure game, Worpel, Nash, Morrison and D'Ambrosio found themselves caught pretty often and Ward struggled to get near it. It was only really Newcombe who was consistently clean in the contest.

Also despite player ratings not being a flawless measure of influence on a game, shout out to Newcombe for being the highest rated player on the ground for 4 weeks in a row. Tremendous effort with Day out.

This was perhaps my most enjoyable season ever... and I have seen more premierships than most.

The growth of this young group was phenomenal. It was not normal, it was out of usual... and nothing short of great.

A friend said that it was sad that we lost, and I replied it is so that the ride has ended, but not that we lost.

All props to Ken Hinkley and his players. They found a way to slow our game.

I felt the Hawks would come over the top but our guys just could not make it happen.

Great season! Highly unexpected!

Our players now have a taste of the pressure of finals... and they will be better for it

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawthorn pipped at the post by Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back