Autopsy Hawthorn pipped at the post by Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Keep in mind Ginnivan kicked 2 , Dear kicked 1 and Gunston didn’t really fire a shot. But your attention is not the other two , it’s on Ginnivan. A 3 point loss is not down to a tweet. It’s hundreds of actions within a game.

Well I usually try to look for silver linings such as this but the fact is GInni's first goal was handed to him by Morrison (who won the important contest) and the second came from a poor Port turnover after Burgoyne had, once again, won a contest up field and got Port going forward through the centre. Neither of those goals were earned by Ginni himself.

But the salient point is this: Ginni's opponent was best on ground. By some distance. That one on one contest alone decided the game more than anything unfortunately.

Did Ginni's social media affect anything? Well who knows? Hinkley certainly used it and when a game is decided by 3 points even .5 of a percent more motivation makes a crucial difference.

So, again, I just hope that Jack doesn't do anything so selfish and silly ahead of a final ever again. Literally nothing good can come of it - as we've seen with this result.

But we move on. Lessons learned etc...

Mate, the umps absolutely gave you everything in that first quarter. Fine, we got the rub in the second, but spare me if you think it was as biased as you all are making it.
Port got the rub for 3 quarters but because we got a couple of 50/50’s our way in the second it means the umps are biased to hawthorn.

How stupid are you to quote that post and then try to belittle the opposition after your team won.

Yes, ungracious in defeat, just like you’re doing now coming over here posting shit.

I think most Hawthorn supporters acknowledge that Port were the better team tonight and deserved to win.

Go and enjoy the win peanut. It’s actually pathetic to be on the internet trawling opposition boards looking to gloat after your team gets into a prelim by 3 points.
Wasting your time trying to reason with a 45 year old dip shit

I agree that Sic is the best all round defender in the league but we will definitely benefit from being able to throw him forward for a quarter here and there knowing we have Battle and Barrass to cover his absence down back

We got smashed in the air down forward all night tonight apart from that last quarter when Sic went down there and could use his strength and guile to impact in the air.
Bit surprised we didn’t start Hardwick up forward again, kicked 5 goals last time against this mob. Impey could have minded Rioli.

Well I usually try to look for silver linings such as this but the fact is GInni's first goal was handed to him by Morrison (who won the important contest) and the second came from a poor Port turnover after Burgoyne had, once again, won a contest up field and got Port going forward through the centre. Neither of those goals were earned by Ginni himself.

But the salient point is this: Ginni's opponent was best on ground. By some distance. That one on one contest alone decided the game more than anything unfortunately.

Did Ginni's social media affect anything? Well who knows? Hinkley certainly used it and when a game is decided by 3 points even .5 of a percent more motivation makes a crucial difference.

So, again, I just hope that Jack doesn't do anything so selfish and silly ahead of a final ever again. Literally nothing good can come of it - as we've seen with this result.

And after all that character assassination of Ginnivan, had our final shot gone through, Hawthorn would have won. Please don't give Hinkley credit for winning the game.

Were we the supporters really super confident? A lot of supported i know and I were saying all week the media is putting all the pressure on us saying it would be an easy win.

I knew Port would come back fired up after that embarrassing performance against the Cats.

A lot of people in the media and on this board were being obnoxiously presumptuous that Port were shot and we were going to kill them. They claimed that they were just “embracing it” and this was “the new way of doing things”. The problem is that after you’ve run your mouth off like that you look like a huge dick when you lose. You also can’t be shocked when people let you know about it.

Read pages about Port being a better team, Ginni, Ken blah blah.

Was I the only one to think I hope that ‘falcon’ doesn’t cost us the game when it happened?

I struggle to see how one team is clearly the best team on the night and deserved to win when it was on the back of a lucky falcon and 2 posters in the dying minutes.

Anyway, what a season and f*** playing Port in Adelaide. 2 crazy unlucky losses in the one season v the same team.

Let's look at the positives - on April the 13th, we were at rock bottom. Hurting from an uncompetitive loss, sitting in 17th position with an horrendous percentage.

Last night, 13th of September,. 5 months on from that performance and we are hurting after a Semi Final loss where we weren't at our best, but refused to fold and crumble. The players just kept willing themselves last night and we almost snatched a win for the ages.

Newcombe has shown that he can go to another level when the whips are cracking.

Jack Scrimshaw was fantastic as our last line of defence and showed that the tough love of last year has seen him develop into the player he is today.

Nick Watson kicked 3 more goals in a final has shown how much joy we are going to get from watching him in the next decade.

Conor Nash and Worpel leading the tackling in the midfield and showing their importance going forward.

Harry Morrison and Finn Maginness did their roles on the evening when many doubted their place in the team.

The young team will be much better for this experience. It'll burn all off season, but what a wonderful building block this is for our young players. They know they're on the right track and that they can compete with the best. Ride the bumps because it'll make the success even more sweeter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Penandpaper you gave thumbs down to this post. Explain why you think Chol played well?
I thought while still down on the rest of his season chol played better this week (with better opposition and higher pressure) than last week. There were a couple of moments he’d want back but same for most of the team.

As much as Kano loves the Hawks he made this silly comment that Port had no right to win this game ffs.
They were a top 2 side and we were supposed to be a bottom 4 side, everyone seem to think that a top 2 side for a majority of the year was going to just fold after an embarrassing loss the previous week.

The game reminded me of all the things that were going wrong for us last year and early this year. We'd have everything flowing and be 1 decision from a walk in goal and stuff it.

Sicily kicking into Amon's back, we had loose players out but it's a goal against.

Hardwick tick into port players head.

Newcombe doing the exact thing Mitchell was giving Scrimshaw a spray for against gold coast. Risky kick to the middle with 30 seconds left.

Impy taking too long and getting caught.

Dear handball go Moore.

Weddle trying to take 2 players on 50 out instead of just putting it on the boot.

Sicily dropped mark then dribbler that missed.

Ginnivan not scoring on the snap

Moore hitting post.

Ward and Moore messing it up in the middle.

Little things were if we are on and not daunted by pressure we just tap it to the spare, or take the first option.

I couldn’t agree more. Was concerned that if we had a game with multiple poor moments it would be costly in a final.

Imagine if we had Battle and Barrass last night

I wint ve watching a replay but from where i was sitting, not sure how much they would've helped.

We didn't lose that game because we were short, we lost it because noone could stop Rioli or JHF and we didn't cope with some of the highest pressure around the ball I have seen.

Personally I think Smith would've helped more last night as it seemed like we were down a mid all night with everyone bar Duke struggling.

I wint ve watching a replay but from where i was sitting, not sure how much they would've helped.

We didn't lose that game because we were short, we lost it because noone could stop Rioli or JHF and we didn't cope with some of the highest pressure around the ball I have seen.

Personally I think Smith would've helped more last night as it seemed like we were down a mid all night with everyone bar Duke struggling.
But if Day played that’ll be the difference, we don’t really need Smith

1. You're a hater, we get it. 99% of goals are the finishing from someone else's work

2. Burgoyne was good, but the best on ground was rioli, who hardwick was on for most of the night

3. Banter between is not selfish. Sure, more awareness on who sees these things is.

We needed a beefy tall in the first. Someone to cause a bit of pain, ala Tom Hawkins.
We won a few clearances early but just heefed the ball long to CHF and had noone able to create a contest

We missed Will Day. Really hope he can stay fit and play every game in 2025.

As others have already said, proud of the team. It was so much fun to watch them after a frustrating start to the season.

They will be even more hungry next season now that they’ve tasted some of the finals.

Need to finish top 4 so they can have the finals on their terms.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Those at the ground that abused, jeered… mocked Cholly… you should be ashamed.
There has to be a racial element to it.. as I did not hear players unsighted cop the disgraceful sprays I heard for 4qtrs about one of our own.

Bought in to play alongside Lewis as a second tall… stepped up and carried the bulk of the key forward work all year.

Forget about what Ken said for one minute and consider the way our own supporters treated a great contributor to our 2024 season. There’s nothing “family” about that at all. Goes against everything this great club stands for.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawthorn pipped at the post by Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back