Autopsy Hawthorn pipped at the post by Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

1. You're a hater, we get it. 99% of goals are the finishing from someone else's work

2. Burgoyne was good, but the best on ground was rioli, who hardwick was on for most of the night

3. Banter between is not selfish. Sure, more awareness on who sees these things is.

1) I was a huge supporter of Ginnivan right up until he posted the shit on Grundy's Social Media. As I said at the time it indicated complacency. I was proved %100 correct. He has to own it and so do the supporters. Burying heads in the sand won't help him or the club or supporters going forward. He chatted shit; got banged.

2) Burgoyne was BOG by a mile - check the stats: 25 touches @76; 7 contested; 7 intercepts; 5 rebound 50's; 5 one percenters and a goal. That is one hell of a game.

Ginnivan was one of our worst vying with Croc. I'd have given his 2 goals back in a heart beat if it meant Ginnivan put some defensive pressure on the guy who was killing us. But Burgoyne wanted it more. That is just a fact. Again, denying it won't help him or the club going forward.

3) In the week of Frosty's devastating injury blow; Punky's 300th and Moorey's 100th, the conversation was dominated by Ginnivan's "cheeky" social media post. It was selfish and silly. ANd handed Hinckley an open goal.

People said it wouldn't matter. It wouldn't motivate Port. They were wrong. We were the HUNTED for the first time in months and when the heat came Ginni (and others) couldn't handle it.

This is not "hate". It's simply what happened. Hopefully he learns from it - but he won't if people like you pretend facts are "hate".

Gutted and ecstatic WOW so conflicted, gutted from the loss ecstatic from the season. I so love my footy club.

Big, super big shout out to Luke Bruest 300 games in our colours. THANK YOU.

The next ten years will be bloody awesome to watch, we are going to be something very special.

Go Hawks.

PS Thanks Sam you made it so we can dream the big dance again.

Last edited:
Well I usually try to look for silver linings such as this but the fact is GInni's first goal was handed to him by Morrison (who won the important contest) and the second came from a poor Port turnover after Burgoyne had, once again, won a contest up field and got Port going forward through the centre. Neither of those goals were earned by Ginni himself.

But the salient point is this: Ginni's opponent was best on ground. By some distance. That one on one contest alone decided the game more than anything unfortunately.

Did Ginni's social media affect anything? Well who knows? Hinkley certainly used it and when a game is decided by 3 points even .5 of a percent more motivation makes a crucial difference.

So, again, I just hope that Jack doesn't do anything so selfish and silly ahead of a final ever again. Literally nothing good can come of it - as we've seen with this result.

But we move on. Lessons learned etc...

This was obvious from the moment the story broke.

We lost what should have been a 5 goal win because too many of our players (and a fair few supporters) thought the game was won before the first bounce.

Again- a learning experience hopefully. But it hurts because we could have snatched a flag here.

But if Day played that’ll be the difference, we don’t really need Smith

I don't disagree Day would've helped but just like our backline (where we absolutely need at least one other tall) , you are asking for trouble if you are banking on everyone being fit to succeed.

I'm backing Frenchie and Ward to become really good players but you have to assume that at any time 2 or 3 mids will be injured or suspended and God forbid Day and Duke are both out at any point next year.

The group wouldn't have picked up any finals mental scars thankfully. Get the bodies right, get a pre-season into our young blokes,a few personnel in and have a real assault on 2025. Managed to avoid any spoilers and listen to the game on the drive back to Canberra after Iron Maiden last night, so the steering wheel might be a bit beaten up, but we truly cannot be disappointed with our body of work this year.

Like many of the posters here I am both disappointed our exciting run has come to an end and proud of what our young team has achieved. I am also somewhat relieved. I have never been so anxious about football, daring to hope that we could go all the way and reading anything that might support that hope when football history says a young team rarely does that. We learned last night that there is a difference between Hokball and finals reality, not saying that Hokball can't stand up to finals. It can. But Port came out a team humiliated by Geelong, the press and its own supporters. They played brutal, uncompromising football and gave us a reality check. We contributed to their backs to the wall attitude. They turned our youthful arrogance against us. And yet we nearly won. Our next steps include self-regulation - don't give the opposition anything, and playing Hokball under extreme pressure i.e. without the fumbles that pressure creates. We needed this lesson from Port just as we needed the earlier loss that set us on the path to the finals.
Just one more thing. I take my hat off to Harry Morrison . His ball handling and disposal under pressure was excellent.

Hinkley coached brilliantly. Squashed our run and overlap. Tackled and smothered all night. Our game plan didn’t stand up tonight.
No, the game plan stood up. Most of the players have never been subjected to the intensity that Port brought to the game. It is something that has to be experienced and will stand us in good stood in the future if the players learn from it.

Hinkley coached brilliantly. Squashed our run and overlap. Tackled and smothered all night. Our game plan didn’t stand up tonight.
Not sure about that- Sicily kicks that goal and we win. Under finals pressure anything can happen and we could’ve easily won that game despite having an off night…

I haven't sorted my thoughts into any coherent order yet, but here goes.
I'm absolutely gutted, literally sick in the guts. On the flipside I'm extremely proud of the playing group and the coaches. Ken needs to be taken into the carpark and dealt with old school style. Was Ginni cocky? Yes, but when did winning for revenge become not enough. He's fat, sloppy classless bogan. I hope this becomes the Hinkley Curse and we belt them for the next 10 years.
We learnt tonight that there's one more level we need to rise too, it only comes with more experience. We should be better from now on. We learnt that finals are a different beast, now we know. I think with a couple of extra players coming in over the off season and some added Mongrel to the team we might be able to start our dynasty. We're close, so fu#$%ng close. In theory, we're still in rebuild phase.
I love you Hawks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1) I was a huge supporter of Ginnivan right up until he posted the shit on Grundy's Social Media. As I said at the time it indicated complacency. I was proved %100 correct. He has to own it and so do the supporters. Burying heads in the sand won't help him or the club or supporters going forward. He chatted shit; got banged.

2) Burgoyne was BOG by a mile - check the stats: 25 touches @76; 7 contested; 7 intercepts; 5 rebound 50's; 5 one percenters and a goal. That is one hell of a game.

Ginnivan was one of our worst vying with Croc. I'd have given his 2 goals back in a heart beat if it meant Ginnivan put some defensive pressure on the guy who was killing us. But Burgoyne wanted it more. That is just a fact. Again, denying it won't help him or the club going forward.

3) In the week of Frosty's devastating injury blow; Punky's 300th and Moorey's 100th, the conversation was dominated by Ginnivan's "cheeky" social media post. It was selfish and silly. ANd handed Hinckley an open goal.

People said it wouldn't matter. It wouldn't motivate Port. They were wrong. We were the HUNTED for the first time in months and when the heat came Ginni (and others) couldn't handle it.

This is not "hate". It's simply what happened. Hopefully he learns from it - but he won't if people like you pretend facts are "hate".
Honestly these sorts of comments/ taunts whatever you want to call them have gone on for years and years with the only difference now being that it was on social media.

Sicilys poster sneaks in for a goal instead and Ginny’s throw away social media comment is all forgotten.
Unfortunately that isn’t the case.

And lastly what people on here or outside of the club think or pretend to think will have absolutely no bearing at all on what Jack “learns” from this.

Watched the game last night with a Bombers supporter and a Blues supporter and both said our future is bright and they’re very jealous how quickly our rebuild took.
As heartbreaking as a 3 point loss can be, when you put it into perspective we had no right to even be playing finals at the start of the year.
Hope Sammy gets coach of the year for what he did to this young team

Port Adelaide were always bringing that pressure regardless. They didn't show up against the Cockroaches for whatever reason, but they weren't going to suddenly repeat that lack of effort.

This was their Grand Final.

If it was a Ginni comment on Instagram that gave them the 5% extra to win a cut throat final then they are a poor excuse for an elite sporting organisation. You can't rely on external incidents to motivate you before a huge game.

This was obvious from the moment the story broke.

We lost what should have been a 5 goal win because too many of our players (and a fair few supporters) thought the game was won before the first bounce.

Again- a learning experience hopefully. But it hurts because we could have snatched a flag here.
Absolute nonsense. So without a tweet Port would not have been motivated to rectify an 80 point loss and keep their season alive and Hinkley would have rolled over and handed in his resignation? Something like that can be used as a little rev up but the players aren’t spending 120 minutes thinking about a tweet while they apply their game plan.

Port outplayed us and the grub Hinkley out coached Sam. They stifled our best runners and ball users all night. They finished 2nd on the ladder and put their feet up against Geelong for reasons unknown. That was never going to happen again.

I think Ken is a sorry excuse and did use the Ginni incident to increase the focus of his team. Ideally it should not be needed for a final but Ken is not an ideal person.

I think Ken is a sorry excuse and did use the Ginni incident to increase the focus of his team. Ideally it should not be needed for a final but Ken is not an ideal person.

Hinkley only cares about Hinkley. Loses most finals and then showers in his own glory when he snatches the odd win. Made it all about himself.... as always.

Did the side play a little like it had been sipping it's own bath water? Or going hard at it from the start?

I couldn't watch due to kids sporting commitments. Only caught the last 10 minutes and we were giving it a massive crack, but won't really want to watch the replay.
Was a bit of both in the 1st half then we started fighting it out.
Was so proud and impressed we didn’t fold when the going got tough even though we played pretty bad the most of the night.
Imagine if we played to our best we’d be in a prelim

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawthorn pipped at the post by Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back