Autopsy Hawthorn pipped at the post by Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

So a few things as a 49 year old hawk who watched at 5.30am in connecticut
1. There is an argument that this is the best hawks season ever. OK we didn’t win the flag or even make a prelim but the gap between expectations and performance were arguably the largest. Well done hawks.
2. So little old agers and the youth are already at the level. Unlike other clubs who spike it’s hard to see how they regress with natural development and another year together especially a totally new forwardline
3. Talent is on the way with immediate impact and we have Day Frost Mackenzie Lewis to add
4. We will have Port to thank for a lot. The mid year game gave birth to our run, the final will spur us to greatness of that I have no doubt.
5. That’s one of our worst performances this year and I think the most dumb decisions in a single game we’ve made. And yet we probably should have won.

I bleed brown and gold. Now my daughter does too. And I look forward to doing it next year and beyond with all of you.

We missed Will Day. Really hope he can stay fit and play every game in 2025.

As others have already said, proud of the team. It was so much fun to watch them after a frustrating start to the season.

They will be even more hungry next season now that they’ve tasted some of the finals.

Need to finish top 4 so they can have the finals on their terms.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We will finish top 4 next season

BTW, what really caused Hinkley to go off on Ginni wasn’t the post. Not even close. Hinkley was pissed because the media and everyone in Adelaide said he should be fired if he lost. And he lost his mind on winning, deciding like a coward to gloat with shittalk at a 21-year-old.

The last thing Ginni should do is change his ways. He’s in their heads. Keep ****ing with their minds, Ginni.

Last edited:

Really proud of the boys. Sucks to lose, but we have a super young team - they will be back next year!

The fact is, the boys have basically been playing elimination finals for months now. It was always going to be a tall order to keep it going - but to go until mid-September is bloody remarkable. Moreover, they nearly pinched it despite being below their best. All good signs.

Port - meh. They are the biggest faux side in the comp. They will get done by the Swans, but that will be enough for Ken to limp along another year. Let him chirp - his side won't win a GF so long as he's in charge.

Onwards and upwards. Boys will be burning to take it further next year, and another year of growth will be exciting.

Who's rise is next year - Weddle as a mid? Wiz goes to new heights? Or maybe a new player rises to the challenge.

Gah exciting stuff!if they get pat sydney
This was obvious from the moment the story broke.

We lost what should have been a 5 goal win because too many of our players (and a fair few supporters) thought the game was won before the first bounce.

Again- a learning experience hopefully. But it hurts because we could have snatched a flag here.

Didn’t you just contradict yourself?

Would we really be saying this if Sicilys hot was a fraction different and a goal?

Not sure about that- Sicily kicks that goal and we win. Under finals pressure anything can happen and we could’ve easily won that game despite having an off night…
And if Port had of kicked straighter, what then?

Port tackled in a way that we haven't had to deal with at all this season. Our bad losses through the year have been a lack of intensity and system breakdown.

This one was just sheet intensity from Port. We were were on - but usually Newcombe and Worpel and Impey and Nash can break tackles and get those chains of running happening to bring in CMac and Ginni and Moore.

Weddle looked raw last night. No problem with that - he is raw, and he's had an awesome season. That's the kind of game that teaches a young player what's required at the business end.

I feel for Sicily - he did everything right up forward. His two misses were so close to being winning actions. Like the Freo game (where his shoulder was no good) he can impose himself up forward for a quarter and kick a goal when the heat is on. Huge leadership from him this finals series.

It was also a weird game with Newcombe 30+ disposals and nobody on either side really near him. Awesome game from Newcombe but usually he's either got Worpel or Day get 25 with him OR our DAmbrosio and Amon run amok and get outside run. Port brought our whole side back by about 10% output except for Newcombe.

Are we absolutely sure Chol ran too far? I counted 7 max 8 steps in that run after the bounce.

Also what bloody angle did the umpire put georgiadies after he’s mark on scrimshaw. He marked the ball about a meter in from the line and the amount of daylight the umpire gave him when lining him up on the mark was incredible.

Then throw in the Rioli goal 1 second before half time, Hardwicks error kicking into a port player and the two posters by Moore and Sicily at the end. Wild game for the Hawks.

I know Port played harder for longer and executed in front of goals when they needed to, thus being the better team on the night and deserving the win but DAMN this game could have easily gone our way too.

So close, I hope this game burns in our players for the whole season next year and drives us to a top four spot and more next year.

Deflating way to end what has been an extraordinary ride this year. Love this team and what they and the coaching staff managed to achieve after a 0-5 start to the season.

An off night collectively with a few exceptions (eg Sicily tried his heart out). Thing is, we've had to play one do or die game after another just to get in the finals. Really emphasises how much that top four chance is worth.

Congratulations to Bruest. Fantastic career. Deserved more than to be carried off during an argument!

Anyway, we'll learn from this - bring on 2025!

Are we absolutely sure Chol ran too far? I counted 7 max 8 steps in that run after the bounce.

Also what bloody angle did the umpire put georgiadies after he’s mark on scrimshaw. He marked the ball about a meter in from the line and the amount of daylight the umpire gave him when lining him up on the mark was incredible.

Then throw in the Rioli goal 1 second before half time, Hardwicks error kicking into a port player and the two posters by Moore and Sicily at the end. Wild game for the Hawks.

I know Port played harder for longer and executed in front of goals when they needed to, thus being the better team on the night and deserving the win but DAMN this game could have easily gone our way too.

So close, I hope this game burns in our players for the whole season next year and drives us to a top four spot and more next year.
It was 12 steps after his bounce.

Umpiring was shocking all night- we got the rub of the green for the second quarter, them for the others.

He wasn’t close to running too far. Reckon the ump missed his bounce.

Just watched Sam's presser post match and it's a hard watch.
Saying he's gutted is an understatement. He's almost close to tears it seems at times.
As proud of him as I am of players.
Exceptional person.

On SM-S906E using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So much to celebrate from this year.

Great to see Harry, Ward, Finn and Serong getting some hard finals experience and hopefully all four stay on the list.

It will be a hard team to break into next season but that depth is critical come week 2 of finals.

Not enough said about Sicily nearly getting the team across the line playing up forward. Such an amazing player.

Do you not understand that this comment in itself shows disrespect to the opposition?
Gold! Absolute gold. You had me there. Ha ha. For a moment, (just a moment mind you) you had me thinking that you considered Hinkley and his plucky band of troglodytes weren't worthy of disrespect.

Well played.

So much to celebrate from this year.

Great to see Harry, Ward, Finn and Serong getting some hard finals experience and hopefully all four stay on the list.

It will be a hard team to break into next season but that depth is critical come week 2 of finals.

Not enough said about Sicily nearly getting the team across the line playing up forward. Such an amazing player.
Harry, Ward, Finn and Serong came in performed really well as depth players. Really happy with all of them, especaillyMaginness

Really feel for Sicily with that last missed shot. He was immense in that last qtr and should be really proud of the way he has lead the team the team not just last night, but for the whole year.

Now hoping GWS or Brisbane can snag the premiership this year.

Really looking forward to 2025, I hope the boys don't dwell on the negatives from last night's game too much and focus on what has worked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawthorn pipped at the post by Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back