Autopsy Hawthorn pipped at the post by Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

We also should have beaten them in both games. These losses have been on our inexperience rather than Ports ability.
First game - yes.

But last night - any objective analysis would demonstrate we would have (happily) pinched that game from a side which could have put us away in the second term.

We were more efficient and thus stayed in the game all the way through - which was admirable.

To suggest we deserved to win that game is…..a bit of a stretch TBH

Port to their credit brought the pressure and we didn’t quite handle it. We fumbled too much, which invites more pressure, and on it snowballs. Will Day was a huge loss in this regard, Worps and Nash are brutes but don’t have the class of a Day.

Tough to practice for but this is what can separate the good from the great, being clean in high pressure finals is gold. The experience will be invaluable, great exposure despite the result and we should handle it better next time around.

It’s a pity Frenchie didn’t get to play, think those two finals would have been worth 20 games of development.

A lot of disagreements with this post but Sicily has said ginni pretty much said as much so I'm happy to be right and move on 😄
The report in the Fairfax media this afternoon:

Hawthorn forward Jack Ginnivan told club leaders this week he regretted making the social media post that sparked the war of words between Port Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley and Hawks captain James Sicily, as the AFL demanded an explanation for the confrontation.

Makes sense. Pretty much everyone came out of this with egg on their face.

Feel sorry for Punky as the amount of negative attention this attracted for his 300th is massive. When you think about the positive hullabaloo about Dusty’s milestone….and then compare it to Luke, it’s quite sad TBH.

He deserved a lot better, from everyone.

Last edited:

CBF60188-D3A9-42CF-B4A1-B9FD9DCF4860.jpeg

Staggering that this was not even a free kick at the time, there’s 4 umpires out there watching a centre bounce, players are spread outside the circle and apparently not one of them saw it. 🙄

How is this not being discussed like some of the other decisions…kneeing a player is just dirty FFS.

View attachment 2110871

Staggering that this was not even a free kick at the time, there’s 4 umpires out there watching a centre bounce, players are spread outside the circle and apparently not one of them saw it. 🙄

How is this not being discussed like some of the other decisions…kneeing a player is just dirty FFS.
LOL Willie Rioli - First offense for staging.

You'd think the MRO has never watched a game involving him before.

Port to their credit brought the pressure and we didn’t quite handle it. We fumbled too much, which invites more pressure, and on it snowballs. Will Day was a huge loss in this regard, Worps and Nash are brutes but don’t have the class of a Day.

Tough to practice for but this is what can separate the good from the great, being clean in high pressure finals is gold. The experience will be invaluable, great exposure despite the result and we should handle it better next time around.

It’s a pity Frenchie didn’t get to play, think those two finals would have been worth 20 games of development.
Well said, we still have a way to go to reach the top. Not many would disagree, we're just all sad to see this wonderful season come to an end.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

Caroline Wilson also tipped Richmond as her premiership tip at the start of the year.

I was going to call her clueless but that would suggest that she had a clue to start with.

LOL Willie Rioli - First offense for staging.

You'd think the MRO has never watched a game involving him before.

Willie Rioli was really good. Ironically Hardwick played a good game offensively but probably he lost that battle defensively. I thought radagolea was also very good even having a big impact right there at the death. We mocked him on here pre game as being a lumberer and useless. Georgiades is another one who really hurt us. 3 goals and 5 marks inside 50 is a huge game in a final. Just lots of small wins from port were enough to weigh us down like a horse carrying sand bags. Credit has to go to them but also we deserve some credit for never letting it go. Despite losing most positions on the ground we nearly stole it which is very very impressive to consider once the negative emotion of losing dissipates.

Willie Rioli was really good. Ironically Hardwick played a good game offensively but probably he lost that battle defensively. I thought radagolea was also very good even having a big impact right there at the death. We mocked him on here pre game as being a lumberer and useless. Georgiades is another one who really hurt us. 3 goals and 5 marks inside 50 is a huge game in a final. Just lots of small wins from port were enough to weigh us down like a horse carrying sand bags. Credit has to go to them but also we deserve some credit for never letting it go. Despite losing most positions on the ground we nearly stole it which is very very impressive to consider once the negative emotion of losing dissipates.
He might have been, but that wasn't what my post was about. It was the fact that his blatant staging wasn't a first offense.

Gee we gave away some silly goals.. 1 sec left in 2nd qtr. dimma kicking the ball into georgys head (🙄) & two posters in the last...

I thought port were better & did super well to keep the pressure up but we were a pinch unlucky.

onwards & upwards that was a bloody hectic game & proper finals pressure.

looking fwd to the new recruits joining, getting ML back & seeing what we can do

Two very boring boomers

First game - yes.

But last night - any objective analysis would demonstrate we would have (happily) pinched that game from a side which could have put us away in the second term.

We were more efficient and thus stayed in the game all the way through - which was admirable.

I don’t think we deserved to win that game as we played quite poorly.

Still we had a number of unlucky things go against us, played well below our level and port played above theirs and it all came down to a poster in the last minute.

It’s a game we absolutely should have won. Replay the game next week and we’d pummel them.

It’s a learning experience that in finals you have to bring your best every game or your out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First game - yes.

If we'd pinched it we'd have deserved to win it.

View attachment 2110871

It was a rule introduced because meek protected himself. Of corse it isn't going to be paid when he cops it.

The 4th time though. At what stage is it a tactic?

I was discussing this whole Ginni saga with my old man today. I think this will be an awakening of sorts for Ginni. He's seen that these things, while seemingly innocuous in isolation, have ramifications to others outside the media beat up. He's a good kid who's managed to get away with being a bit cheeky, but we all grow up at some point.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

Still we had a number of unlucky things go against us, played well below our level and port played above theirs and it all came down to a poster in the last minute.

It’s a game we absolutely should have won. Replay the game next week and we’d pummel them.

It’s a learning experience that in finals you have to bring your best every game or your out.
They are a good side who we have had two close finishes against .
I don't think we would pummel them but we certainly can beat them .
They were too good last night and that's all that counts at the minute

How can a team which finished 2nd and won 16 games possibly have to play “above their level” to beat a team which won 14 and finished 7th…..playing below their level?

Do you think Port fluked their entire season?

How can a team which finished 2nd and won 16 games possibly have to play “above their level” to beat a team which won 14 and finished 7th…..playing below their level?

Do you think Port fluked their entire season?
Maybe look at the season from round 8 onwards, to give you a hint.

Bit sad watching the footy tonight with the knowledge our season is done. But what a journey it was. In sober light of day, no other emotion but immense pride for this side

First time I've been to Adelaide Oval for a footy game and despite the result was an awesome night sitting among passionate Hawks fans. Never sat on on the boundary line before but offered an utterly fascinating perspective having the play mere metres from you and the smell of fresh grass. Very different to what i'm used to at the G

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawthorn pipped at the post by Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back