Autopsy Hawthorn pipped at the post by Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

The one time that dimma loses to his opponent! Rioli was the difference I thought. so frustrating to watch him in so much space and setting up so many goals for them.
As much as Dimma was a good player for us on the night, which I believe he was. His at times opponent in Rioli was equally good & at times better than him. Ultimately Riolis influence had a big influence on the overall outcome.

As much as Dimma was a good player for us on the night, which I believe he was. His at times opponent in Rioli was equally good & at times better than him. Ultimately Riolis influence had a big influence on the overall outcome.
Rioli was the difference. Stats do nor do justice to his importance.

Maybe look at the season from round 8 onwards, to give you a hint.
Thanks. Port went 11-4 and we went 12-3 from rd 8 onwards. 🙄
Hardly a compelling difference.

Even more recently…

How do you explain Port beating Sydney by 100 points, only 5 weeks ago. Plus rolling Fremantle when their season was on the line in Rd 24 interstate. Plus Adelaide in the most recent showdown. Plus putting Melbourne out of contention before that?

Their form line prior to the Geelong capitulation was, frankly, excellent.

We also played exciting footy and hammered sides for sure, but don’t tell me Port weren’t a damn good side, on their own dung heap, ready to make up for the previous week’s “outlier”.

They didn’t play “above their level” to beat us. They played to their level and we almost matched them.

Last edited:

Ginni fu@cked up.
He even admitted he did to the leadership group.

Sometimes it takes hard lessons for care free youth to mature.

This is one of those times and hopefully he is smart enough to learn from it.

Those pretending it didn't matter and port wouldn't use it were proven wrong. Both Ginni and Port have admitted it did.

We really missed having Day and/or Mackenzie in the midfield. They both are very clean and quick with ball in hand and we missed that. Our mids seemed either a step too slow or rushed most of the game.

Those two just add that touch of class to our midfield, along with Ward.

No doubt they would have been super valuable when the game was at it's hottest.

Day is like having another version of Newcombe, and MacKenzie went to another level in U18 finals. Dominated in fact at the Championships in a game or two.

Ginni fu@cked up.

Those pretending it didn't matter and port wouldn't use it were proven wrong. Both Ginni and Port have admitted it did.
It did matter, but the dude above is OTT. I agree with you and disagree with him just because he's being righteous and implying absolutes as opposed to opinion.

How much % difference did it make? Nobody knows, but the little things matter when you're pushing for premierships. The leadership group need to challenge Ginni to grow up a little and sail this ship as one. IMO They'll do it the right way rather than throw him under the bus. The challenge is to refine impulsivity whilst harnessing talent. His energy is one of the reasons we made finals in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone better warn Glenn McGrath not to make his routine 5-0 prediction before next year's Ashes in case Cummins & Co. get complacent after hearing that.

The cricketing media is mature enough to take McGrath's 'playful' predictions in its stride and not use that as a reason for wins or losses, when it analyses the results.

The AFL media has a fair bit of growing up left to do yet.

All this talk about a 5-word social media post causing a loss is weird. It is insulting to Port the most.
I mean, are people saying that was the difference, Port was going to lose without using that as motivation. FFS

Truth of the matter was we didn’t play well enough. We played Port’s game for most of the night, rather than ours. That 5 word post had nothing to do with our loss. Quite simply we were out played.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone better warn Glenn McGrath not to make his routine 5-0 prediction before next year's Ashes in case Cummins & Co. get complacent after hearing that.

The cricketing media is mature enough to take McGrath's 'playful' predictions in its stride and not use that as a reason for wins or losses, when it analyses the results.

The AFL media has a fair bit of growing up left to do yet.
And Ken who simply acted like a child.

IMHO we are not going to go the next step and win a premiership with Mabior as the main power forward, we need someone who can clunk marks and make less errors in bigger pressure games. So this is where I guess Mitch Lewis/Calsher Dears development is crucial. Or recruiting a Georgiades or Jeremy Cameron if one can be found…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought that was going to be the beginning of an empire. Sadly hardly any of them were still there in 2008.

Of those that played in the 2001 season, only Crawford, Croad, Bateman and Osborne were still there in the 2008 GF.
yeah would've been nice to give the likes of Dutchy, Vanders, Dixon, Harford, Lekkas, Thompson, Hay etc a flag

Ginni fu@cked up.

want to hear this from Ginnivan himself to believe he actually did apologise

ginni made it personal towards port & it drove their motivation all week... right or wrong. it's a few % they shouldn't have had in a very tight game.

the game is mostly mental. anyway we move on & learn.

In what world was it personal towards Port?
It wasn't directed at any port player or the team, didn't tag them at them or anything.
His only mistake was forgetting it was a on public post.

I suppose it is 2024, where it's a microaggression to be confident. He should bend over and present himself to show he is submissive and in no way threatening

The team made a lot of mistakes throughout the game.

They didn't release the handball early enough on several occasions, which cost shots on goal. They didn't hit up short leads running through the centre square. For whatever reason, the players lost their cool under pressure.

Put this one down to development.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

We had a crack. Port brought the pressure which they were always going to do. They win those games all the bloody time with their backs against the wall. Wish I bet on them.

We missed midfield class and a forward, and Frosty. Chol can't be key forward #1. So many times we broke down across the centre of the ground because we had nothing to kick to. Needed Day out there big time, we win if he played.

So many Hawks fans there, I'd love to know the split, probably 40-60 their way. A lot of fun but with the start we had it was always kind of a weird vibe, then the Carlton Draughts started hitting me during the comeback and that was fun. Shed a tear at the end, it was a terrible way to lose. But most importantly Hawthorn were good to watch again. The first few games of the year were a real battle, and boring as hell to watch.

However this run has just been so much fun, and next year will be different now. We have expectations on our head, a harder fixture but also we're not going to be as well liked as we were in the back half of the year, people have turned on us. We'll get a lot of Friday games. Looks like we'll have Gold Coast or something in the OR, then Essendon R1, followed by probably a trip to Adelaide for the Power then Geelong on Easter Monday. That's a tough start, we could very well not be as good as we hope next year but I hope we are.

The team made a lot of mistakes throughout the game.

They didn't release the handball early enough on several occasions, which cost shots on goal. They didn't hit up short leads running through the centre square. For whatever reason, the players lost their cool under pressure.

Put this one down to development.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

We were pushing too hard against the Dogs in the first quarter too. Instead of taking risks, they would normally have taken what they were given.

Something to learn from.

I'm sure they've already been looking at vision and discussing this, but we gave up our game to play it on their terms.

Was a frustrating watch as a fan because we were on the cusp of playing good footy for a burst here and there.

They dragged us down to their level, with a vastly inferior team. We just played a game that suited them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawthorn pipped at the post by Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back