Autopsy Hawthorn pipped at the post by Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Amazing season. Shout out to goofy Uncle Ken. I really think he's galvanised the club, leadership group, team & supporters with his childish antics. Talk about motivation. To 2025 & beyond! We're coming hard. Love ya Sic.

Behind-the-goals vision provides such a great perspective. The next step in TV coverage is to provide the viewer an option to switch to that if they wish to.

This particular instance will be great learning for our young side to keep their shape at all costs. They've proven themselves to be fast learners and that's why I'm confident our upward trajectory will continue in 2025.

Edit: When Mass kicked that final ball in, with the cameras being locked in on him in close-up, I wondered why, being such a good kick, he couldn't find a Hawk target inside 50. Now I know why.

Last edited:

Rioli was the difference. Stats do nor do justice to his importance.
He wasn't the difference alone he had help in Burgoyne & a few others.
We had too many who had down games, was it due to the pressure? Maybe, it's a young team and hopefully they do learn from it because if they make finals again, it won't get any easier.

They didn’t play “above their level” to beat us. They played to their level and we almost matched them.
Exactly 💯
I had them winning the whole lot a while back, injuries to 2 of their most important backmen could be detrimental against the 3 remaining sides. I think they match up better against $yd whos kpf aren't as potent as geelols or the lions.

He wasn't the difference alone he had help in Burgoyne & a few others.
We had too many who had down games, was it due to the pressure? Maybe, it's a young team and hopefully they do learn from it because if they make finals again, it won't get any easier.
Agree

Wizard, Sicily have been able to bring that x factor during the season perhaps battle can bring it too. Moore's been up the ground alot more in 24. Would love to see Sicily perm forward next year with b&b coming in, and blanck coming back

Felt like the 2007 semi vs north after the game. We're in for another ride next year heaps of kids on the list will be better after a preseason able to give more intensity for longer. A few tweaks to the game plan and we're back. Go hawks

ginni made it personal towards port & it drove their motivation all week... right or wrong. it's a few % they shouldn't have had in a very tight game.

the game is mostly mental. anyway we move on & learn.
It wasn't personal it was banter. Personal would have been mentioning Ports or old mates poor finals record.

All it has showed it the generation gap between the old school coach and even media who seem to be stuck 20 years behind reality .

We were pushing too hard against the Dogs in the first quarter too. Instead of taking risks, they would normally have taken what they were given.

Something to learn from.

I'm sure they've already been looking at vision and discussing this, but we gave up our game to play it on their terms.

Was a frustrating watch as a fan because we were on the cusp of playing good footy for a burst here and there.

They dragged us down to their level, with a vastly inferior team. We just played a game that suited them.
They are good side . They've played consistent finals and are hardened to that type of game .
They didn't drag us down and tbh that's disrespectful to both sides to say that.

We continually tried to take the game on and play our way , their constant pressure and set up for the most part stopped that . But we never went away from that .
It's why we kept running into trouble.
Going away would have been slow static play which we didn't do .

We will better for it next time . You can train all you want but until you get smacked between the eyes in a game you never actually know what it's like .

And with all that we were a goal post width from taking a win .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It wasn't personal it was banter. Personal would have been mentioning Ports or old mates poor finals record.

All it has showed it the generation gap between the old school coach and even media who seem to be stuck 20 years behind reality .

Port MADE it personal. that's the whole point whatever intention or light hearted banter was intended.

'see you in 14 days' in ports language is they think we are no good, weak easy beats.

you don't give any club especially port any ammo.

if I'm a port player that message is burning through my mind all game. every contest every 50-50 ball. it was clear as day to see during the match.

Just had an interesting thought. After being pipped in an epic prelim at G by the Hawks a decade ago, Port were flag favorites with the bookies going into 2015 with an overwhelming "this Power side will be around the mark for a long time" feel. We missed finals. Will be interesting to see how the Hawks go with some legitimate expectations going into 2025. I get the feeling with Sam Mitchell at the helm you are pretty well placed to not get ahead of yourselves.

Just had an interesting thought. After being pipped in an epic prelim at G by the Hawks a decade ago, Port were flag favorites with the bookies going into 2015 with an overwhelming "this Power side will be around the mark for a long time" feel. We missed finals. Will be interesting to see how the Hawks go with some legitimate expectations going into 2025. I get the feeling with Sam Mitchell at the helm you are pretty well placed to not get ahead of yourselves.
I think realistically from 2026 onwards we should have a solid patch of finals contention.
Next year is going to be a massive challenge as I think we'll have a lot more attention on us and will have to manage a different kind of expectation.
Sam is pretty good at keeping players accountable and refocusing our gaze on to internal motivation opposed to external, but our boys love social media so there's a good chance we spend the year balancing out the two.

Getting ahead of yourself what does that even mean? If you don't think you're good why do you even play AFL?

At the end of the day, you usually get beaten by better opponents, unless umpires take control. If you lack confidence you're probably not going to win many games.

I know you came here with good intentions but the way Ken and Rozee disrespected Breust after the game, your club is going to have it coming next year. And it won't be close, we will smash you.

Getting ahead of yourself what does that even mean? If you don't think you're good why do you even play AFL?

At the end of the day, you usually get beaten by better opponents, unless umpires take control. If you lack confidence you're probably not going to win many games.

I know you came here with good intentions but the way Ken and Rozee disrespected Breust after the game, your club is going to have it coming next year. And it won't be close, we will smash you.
That's a completely nonsensical response that has absolutely nothing to do with my post, but nevermind. And sporting organisations absolutely do get ahead of themselves. Perhaps you are just privileged enough to support a club who hasn't done that any time recently?

I see more similarities between Hawthorn 2024 and Port Adelaide 2013 to be honest (the huge win in the EF followed by the lose against the experienced Cats smarting from an unexpected QF loss)

We came from so far back and had no pressure all year (like Port in 2013). Next year will be far different and expectations will be higher than in any year since 2016

The challenge is always expectation. Port 2013/ 2014 and Hawks 2024 were two young teams with no expectations and a good core of younger players coming through.

Development isn't always linear though and sometimes the weight of expectation can shackle young teams. St. Kilda and Fremantle are decent enough examples in the last few years.

There is every possibility that we make finals again with two key acquisitions (Barrass, Battle) but there is also the possibility we stagnate. I am biased but I think Sam Mitchell is the difference. He's shown an incredible ability to build relationships, manage expectations, and get the best out of the players.

yep, the fact they are even trawling through Instagram (or more likely have notifications turned on), or being made aware of a single reply post shows how low and desperate for clickbait/ immediate news the AFL media have become.

It is really sickening how it was blown up before the game to the point where everyone is now talking as tho Ginni singled out Port and was directly dissing them FFS

I get he's made a stuff up and admitted it, but really as others have said, the media, the AFL media in particular, and coaches and others in the industry need to get with the bloody times.

Whilst I would have gladly taken the win, I’m not sure I would have felt completely comfortable if we won by one goal. Felt like we were gifted a couple and oppo supporters would never have stopped banging on about it. What an amazing year and it built nicely on the signs that were evident last season. With a couple more key signings looming I’d be surprised if we weren’t in most people’s top 4 conversation for next year.

Last edited:
Behind-the-goals vision provides such a great perspective. The next step in TV coverage is to provide the viewer an option to switch to that if they wish to.

This particular instance will be great learning for our young side to keep their shape at all costs. They've proven themselves to be fast learners and that's why I'm confident our upward trajectory will continue in 2025.

Edit: When Mass kicked that final ball in, with the cameras being locked in on him in close-up, I wondered why, being such a good kick, he couldn't find a Hawk target inside 50. Now I know why.
If you look closely, you 'll see Chol at bottom of screen had all that space to lead into .
Allir is just on his tail ,he was grabbing Chol to restrict any lead into that space that they highlighted.
There's a free that only a brave umpire would pay. However it IS there.

Also I want to dispute Kane's allegation that Hinkley didn't verbally abuse Gin.
You can clearly read his lips : "Hey Jack youre not ****ing going anywhere you c@@khead" .
Talking about motivation Mitchell will definately put it in the memory bank and use it in the return bout.

Last edited:
The challenge is always expectation. Port 2013/ 2014 and Hawks 2024 were two young teams with no expectations and a good core of younger players coming through.

Development isn't always linear though and sometimes the weight of expectation can shackle young teams. St. Kilda and Fremantle are decent enough examples in the last few years.

There is every possibility that we make finals again with two key acquisitions (Barrass, Battle) but there is also the possibility we stagnate. I am biased but I think Sam Mitchell is the difference. He's shown an incredible ability to build relationships, manage expectations, and get the best out of the players.

The 2023 Saints (and 2022 Dockers) had a very different list profile to the 2024 Hawks though.

IMG_6743.png IMG_6744.png

Compared too

IMG_6734.png

What made our numbers extremely impressive is that the age and experience were far lower than performance metrics like goals kicked.

That said, the Dockers really should have made the finals this year…

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawthorn pipped at the post by Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back