Autopsy Hawthorn pipped at the post by Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a good point which just dawned on me. They split the teams into groups of 6 to decide who your double up matches are against which means we will double up with other top 6 teams next season. Good for box office but also it will be tougher to get wins.

In fairness last year’s top 6 included Collingwood (missed finals), Brisbane, GWS, Carlton, Melbourne (missed finals), Port Adelaide.

Even though we finished bottom 3 we still ended up with double ups against Collingwood and GWS. How many will get next year?

Probably Geelong (Easter Monday plus massive MCG crowds), Port Adelaide and Brisbane? (the Lions have asked to host us at the GABBA)

We’ll probably get Collingwood and one of Carlton and Essendon in the middle group and one of the bottom 6 (Richmond?)

Last edited:
When did I at any point endorse my clubs carry on after the game? I think you will find I was more annoyed with it than you are, and that you obviously have no idea what my position on the matter is.

💯 The great fear is that the ‘great’ Semi Final win will gaslight any very real and rationale concerns that Port supporters have with their coach.

I hope for the sake of Port Adelaide fans next week is either a win or a massacre so that the club can push for a clean break instead of another year of purgatory

I know injuries have played a role but Port Adelaide has way to much talent for Hinkley to claim that Friday was one of the great finals performances. And I think most Port supporters know it

This is a good point which just dawned on me. They split the teams into groups of 6 to decide who your double up matches are against which means we will double up with other top 6 teams next season. Good for box office but also it will be tougher to get wins.

Those things are more a guidelines than a rule. We had the same number of double ups in each section this year as port and gws who were both top 6 last year. I.e 2 doubles from top 6, middle 6 and bottom 6. We could get lucky and get a double-up draw no worse on paper than this year if they give us the Port/GWS treatment in 2025. I'd have my money on having a worse draw than the premier though :) If Port play Geelong in the GF, we could easily see double ups against the premier and runner up, given the drama of last week, and the Geelong rivalry which seems a lot more alive than the Essendon one.

We were probably a bit lucky with our double ups this year using end-of-year hindsight. Pies we were unlucky not to beat twice. A pity we had to play Geelong in Geelong, would have liked to see how we went later in the year on the expanses of the G.

Anyway, I think the draw is the worst place to implement equalization policies. They should be trying to make the draw as even as possible, not make it easier for bottom teams to get more wins. That creates elimination final thumpings (usually of Essendon, which is fun, but other teams often deserve those spots, but don't get them due to a crooked draw designed to assist lower ranked teams).

Those things are more a guidelines than a rule. We had the same number of double ups in each section this year as port and gws who were both top 6 last year. I.e 2 doubles from top 6, middle 6 and bottom 6. We could get lucky and get a double-up draw no worse on paper than this year if they give us the Port/GWS treatment in 2025. I'd have my money on having a worse draw than the premier though :) If Port play Geelong in the GF, we could easily see double ups against the premier and runner up, given the drama of last week, and the Geelong rivalry which seems a lot more alive than the Essendon one.

We were probably a bit lucky with our double ups this year using end-of-year hindsight. Pies we were unlucky not to beat twice. A pity we had to play Geelong in Geelong, would have liked to see how we went later in the year on the expanses of the G.

Anyway, I think the draw is the worst place to implement equalization policies. They should be trying to make the draw as even as possible, not make it easier for bottom teams to get more wins. That creates elimination final thumpings (usually of Essendon, which is fun, but other teams often deserve those spots, but don't get them due to a crooked draw designed to assist lower ranked teams).

They say it’s for equalisation but I would suggest it’s more for revenue. Having the top teams playing each other more in blockbusters is very lucrative. I suppose also (in theory) it means more closer games which isn’t a bad thing.

The AFL is wedded to make Haw v Ess their second round 1 blockbuster - so expect that from now on (especially with the last two years drawing 70k).

We haven’t played return matches against the Dons since 2018 (non Covid impacted) and Carlton since 2006. So we are due for one of those two (both in the middle group)

I can see the AFL scheduling us twice against Richmond (from bottom 6) given its out 100th year in the VFL/AFL and the Tigers was our first match (in May 1925).

Next year is a huge year for the club, as it is for the Dogs and North. I hope we promote the hell of it (like the foundation clubs in 1996)

When did I at any point endorse my clubs carry on after the game? I think you will find I was more annoyed with it than you are, and that you obviously have no idea what my position on the matter is.

If you are more annoyed with it than I am, good on you. I've realised now, that this will benefit us the future and I'm thankful Ken did what he did.

They say it’s for equalisation but I would suggest it’s more for revenue. Having the top teams playing each other more in blockbusters is very lucrative. I suppose also (in theory) it means more closer games which isn’t a bad thing.

Yes, the close games argument is perhaps the best reason. Helps AFL with revenue, but also makes for a more interesting season. Just think they should work harder at making the draw fair rather than any other metric.

The AFL is wedded to make Haw v Ess their second round 1 blockbuster - so expect that from now on (especially with the last two years drawing 70k).

I wonder what is worth more to the AFL, TV viewers or Crowds. If it is the former they still might be tempted to swap Bombers for Port. A lot more neutrals would tune into a Port-Hawthorn rematch (if far-Ken keeps his job). I guess crowds are worth more though, especially in the short term. Do they get bonuses for big broadcast numbers, or is all the TV revenue fixed and decided when each TV rights deal is done?

We haven’t played return matches against the Dons since 2018 (non Covid impacted) and Carlton since 2006. So we are due for one of those two (both in the middle group)

I can see the AFL scheduling us twice against Richmond (from bottom 6) given its out 100th year in the VFL/AFL and the Tigers was our first match (in May 1925).

That seems a little obscure to be heavily weighted in fixture creation. Romantic ideas like that would be long way down their priority list I would have thought.

Next year is a huge year for the club, as it is for the Dogs and North. I hope we promote the hell of it (like the foundation clubs in 1996)

Yup, definitely worth some celebrations.

Agree that they are a good side who are steeled for finals, albeit after one of the worst off weeks we've seen in a finals series in this current era.

But we were sub par by our own standards, and never got our game going.

The stats show it. Contested ball, ground ball gets etc. we were down.

We didn't take what was there often when transitioning forward. We pushed too hard like we did against the dogs in the first quarter last week. Only this time there was no switch up.

Easy kicks were ignored, and we bit off too much. The pressure ramped up each time we did that, and the response was to try and do it again.

We often didn't take what was there and chose to force things - whether that be choosing a long kick from Weddle instead of looking for the perfect play on a line breaking run; or taking easy hit ups coming through the middle on transition, continually looking to break tackles instead of just taking territory etc.
Totally agree. In the first half we got ourselves into a lot of trouble not taking the first option when we were carrying the ball in space. Inevitably we would get mown down or rush a speculative disposal under pressure. MacDonald and Weddle multiple times and Moore at least once.

I find it laughable that people (aka opposition nuffies) are saying we need to ‘toughen up’ or calling Mitchell out for sticking up for his players.

It’s one thing to have a cheeky jab on social media that isn’t rude and not specifically targeted at anyone. Poor taste certainly, and he’ll cop it.

It’s another thing for a senior coach to engage with and mock a player after a close loss when a champion is meant to be chaired off.

He could have made a comment in the presser. Instead, he chose to petulantly engage with Jack. It wasn’t just the plane gesture - I have it on good authority Hinkley was also hurling profanity. No coach should engage in that type of behaviour and it’s why Sicily arced up.

We may have given them motivation for one game, but I suspect we’re going to hit these campaigners hard for a long time to come.

I find it laughable that people (aka opposition nuffies) are saying we need to ‘toughen up’ or calling Mitchell out for sticking up for his players.

It’s one thing to have a cheeky jab on social media that isn’t rude and not specifically targeted at anyone. Poor taste certainly, and he’ll cop it.

It’s another thing for a senior coach to engage with and mock a player after a close loss when a champion is meant to be chaired off.

He could have made a comment in the presser. Instead, he chose to petulantly engage with Jack. It wasn’t just the plane gesture - I have it on good authority Hinkley was also hurling profanity. No coach should engage in that type of behaviour and it’s why Sicily arced up.

We may have given them motivation for one game, but I suspect we’re going to hit these campaigners hard for a long time to come.
Yep, KH acted like a child, not a 60YO coach of over a decade.

Some people are pointing at Clarko's poor conduct at times, as if that somehow absolves Ken, but it doesn't. Coaches have to be better than that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im in the camp you don't givethe other side any extra motivation. Finals are a game of inches. Who knows how this affected the result? Hope Ginni learns something. Social media can be a very dangerous place, you don't know who is out there watching and listening.
Didnt affect the result , it just affects the perception.
Close game goes any number of ways.
Lets say Frost plays that game , we prob win. View the two goals that Georgiadis kicked and how Serong couldnt quite keep with him for pace .
We kick any one of those missed chances , we win.
Thats luck , fate , whatever you want to call it.
Hinkleys copped his 20k fine , we move on . I think were in a good position going forward.

Im in the camp you don't givethe other side any extra motivation. Finals are a game of inches. Who knows how this affected the result? Hope Ginni learns something. Social media can be a very dangerous place, you don't know who is out there watching and listening.

I don't understand this logic.

If you don't want to give other sides motivation, what do you think Ken just did?

If you’re still dwelling on it just simplify it - Hawthorn weren’t good enough for long enough. No shame in losing like that. They fought to the end after Port got away early in the last. They’ll take a lot from that game. All the what ifs in the world won’t change the result. Killer season none of us expected.
Exactly right. We only played 3 quarters. We outscored them in qrts 2 , 3 and 4. The porr start cost us

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawthorn pipped at the post by Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back