Scandal Hawthorn player questioned over sexual offence allegation

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we're going to play the odds game given so many rapes go unreported it's 'more likely' they did do it than they didn't do it.

Only about 2% of all rape and related sex charges are determined to be false, the same percentage as for other felonies (FBI). So while they do happen, and they are very problematic when they do, people claim that allegations are false far more frequently than they are and far more frequently than for other crimes. Put another way, we are much more likely to disbelieve a woman if she says she was r*ped than if she says she was robbed, but for no good reason.

http://web.stanford.edu/group/maan/cgi-bin/?page_id=297

Indeed - otherwise, everytime someone cheated on their partner they would cry rape......some of these comments o_O

I blame rap music & video games.

No, I'm offering a different perspective which focuses on the principle of innocent until proven guilty instead of being too scared to stand up for the accused's rights in fear of preventing victims coming forward.

Like with most things in Australia these days, things have gone too far the other way. If you dare say something that the vocal left disagree with, watch the hypocrisy in the way they shoot the person down for having an opinion and hound and bully them into submission.
Good to see you standing up for the underdog; wealthy players with the backing of a multimillion-dollar football club and a compliant media. Without you implying the girl could just be a cheating ****, however would they defend themselves.

Most people in this thread are not hanging the alleged players out to dry. There has been the odd poster doing that and the main instigator of that has been banned.

You must know a lot of sexual assault cases if you know of "numerous instances" of false claims, seeing as an estimated 2 percent of claims are purported to be false, and even then the process of labelling a claim as "false" is questionable and not black and white. You're blindly speculating and casting aspersions yourself, and in the process furthering a mentality that prevents victims coming forward. Just as bad as blindly labelling the players guilty in my eyes.

I do not buy the 2% figure. Perhaps it depends on your definition of "claim." If it includes an initial report I would say it is many, many multiples of that figure. If you are talking about proceeding with charges then perhaps it is in the vicinity - although still seems low to me. Would make it amongst the lowest false claim rate of almost any type of offence.

I'm not sure if the players are guilty but Silvagni is now guilty of raping GWS!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Not really appropriate in this thread IMO.

There are 2 players with their careers on the line and an alleged victim who may be traumatised for life.

Your probably right, just trying to insert some humour in all this doom and gloom..

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I do not buy the 2% figure. Perhaps it depends on your definition of "claim." If it includes an initial report I would say it is many, many multiples of that figure. If you are talking about proceeding with charges then perhaps it is in the vicinity - although still seems low to me. Would make it amongst the lowest false claim rate of almost any type of offence.

Well it is the probably the most serious offence you can make a false claim about. I can understand why it would have the lowest rate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just read the story about this in the Sydney Morning Herald (Age for those in Victoria). Some doubt over this allegation one would think now. Quite possible that the young lady drank too much and engaged in consensual activities before feeling guilty the next day.

But if she went there consensually and non consentual acts happened I'd hope the AFL throws the players our of the game forever and the Courts do what they need.

If the case that the allegations are a lie I'd hope that it is the end of it and the players move on and they aren't identified. Can only imagine how this would be affecting them at present let alone the abuse they'd be copping from opposition supporters.

Amazing how every man and his dog seems to have an anecdote about a false rape claim ready to go when this sort of thing happens. For what it's worth I've had a couple of female friends have encounters with men that they knew were "not ok", that they declined to take up with the police through fear of what they'd be getting themselves into if they pursued it. given everything you have to go through as the complainant in a rape investigation, I would have thought this is a far more common scenario.

http://www.secasa.com.au/assets/Statstics/study-of-reported-rapes-in-victoria-2000-2003.pdf

• Offenders were charged in only 15 per cent of reported rapes examined.

This suggests the attrition rate for rape may have increased, despite reforms designed to improve the numbers of investigations proceeding to prosecution.

• Police did not proceed with more than 60 per cent of investigations.

15.1 per cent of rape complaints were withdrawn.

46.4 per cent of rape complaints resulted in No Further Police Action.

21.3 per cent of rape complaints were ‘still ongoing’ or could not be determined on the basis of the information in the case records.

• Only 2.1 per cent of reports were designated by police as false.

The belief that false allegations of rape are rife, is therefore challenged by the evidence.

• 26 per cent of cases in this study involved victims with a psychiatric disability or mental health issue.

The belief that false allegations of rape are rife, is therefore challenged by the evidence.

15% of reports were designated by police as chargeworthy, 2.1% of reports were designated as false.

That leaves 82.9% of reported rapes as a grey area.

My assumption would be there are more rapes than false accusations in this grey area, but how do you quantify it?

http://www.secasa.com.au/assets/Statstics/study-of-reported-rapes-in-victoria-2000-2003.pdf

This suggests the attrition rate for rape may have increased, despite reforms designed to improve the numbers of investigations proceeding to prosecution.

• Police did not proceed with more than 60 per cent of investigations.

15.1 per cent of rape complaints were withdrawn.

46.4 per cent of rape complaints resulted in No Further Police Action.

21.3 per cent of rape complaints were ‘still ongoing’ or could not be determined on the basis of the information in the case records.

• 26 per cent of cases in this study involved victims with a psychiatric disability or mental health issue.

A classic BF post demonstrating that possession of figures doesn't mount an argument.

And I'm not sure of 2 things:
- what argument you want to have here and
- why you want to have it.

It's a police investigation into an alleged sex crime. It's media worthy by dint of the notable persons.

If it were my family, I'd want some privacy and some respect - not a bunch of board warriors exposing some fragile and specious personal philosophies to justify their thirst for scandal. And I'd reckon you would ALL be the same.

Mods should lock and ban this stuff imo, enough platforms for social media whores to salivate over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back