NO TROLLS Hawthorn Racism Review - Sensitive issues discussed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t use this thread as an opportunity to troll North or any other clubs, you’ll be removed from the discussion. Stick to the topic and please keep it civil and respectful to those involved. Keep personal arguements out of this thread.
Help moderators by not quoting obvious trolls and use the report button, please and thank you.

If you feel upset or need to talk you can call either Beyond Blue on 1300 22 4636 or Lifeline on 13 11 14 at any time.

- Crisis support for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders 13YARN (13 92 76) 13YARN - Call 13 92 76 | 24 /7

This is a serious topic, please treat it as such.

Videos, statements etc in the OP here:

Link to Hawthorn Statement. - Link to ABC Sports article. - Leaked Report

Last edited:
Racism comes from John Howard! Quite the sophisticated analysis of the problem you have presented there. Makes sense why you should be taken seriously.

You’ve either completely failed to comprehend what he said, or deliberately misrepresented it.

Either way, it might be time for you to log off.

And it might surprise you that there’s not as much as you think there is. Did that ever occur to you?
I have seen 5 incidents of racial attacks just in the last 2 weeks. Western Suburbs, Melbourne. Two on public transport, one in a shopping centre and one at a school. Don't know how you can say there is not much of it.

Translation “No I am not open to considering that as I am committed to peddling the victim narrative”
Only if you cannot read would that be your interpretation :)

Newsflash - the original inhabitants of this land actually are victims of, to varying degrees all across the nation, genocide, stolen generations, cultural erasure, displaced from their land, and more.

I have seen 5 incidents of racial attacks just in the last 2 weeks. Western Suburbs, Melbourne. Two on public transport, one in a shopping centre and one at a school. Don't know how you can say there is not much of it.
I would guess the unspoken/biased judgements which amount to silent racism would probably outnumber the verbal outright racism by about 100:1 or higher.

It's still pervasive in our society.

I would guess the unspoken/biased judgements which amount to silent racism would probably outnumber the verbal outright racism by about 100:1 or higher.

It's still pervasive in our society.
silent racism is a good way to put it

things people think but don't often say out loud

we've got this idea that racism is an all or nothing thing as well, like you're either racist or you're not

you see it in this thread with people pointing to Clarkson and co's actions with other Indigenous players, communities etc as proof that they aren't racist

also apparently that is proof that they couldn't do something racist

Clarkson admitted that as a young man he had some pretty bad views, views that would have been commonly articulated at the time. You can move past that stuff, you can change but that doesn't mean that you don't have to keep working and that you can't still have areas where you haven't moved on.

Paternalism is one way this stuff can manifest where you think you're being good and helpful but you're making judgements about the other persons capability to deal with this themselves based on race that you'd not end up in the same place with a white person but you don't believe that to be the case.

I reckon Clarkson, Fagan and Burt would generally believe that they weren't racist or acting racistly in these incidents, but that doesn't mean that they weren't.

The other thing to look at is how many other people in these players lives have acted similarly and been obviously racist in their reasoning, because that is going to impact how the players and their families saw the actions as well.

You don't have to be malicious to be racist, you don't have to be suggesting something negative to be racist, which a lot of people act dumb about I think because it's easier than dealing with it

Wow. This makes me glad I live in WA.

we've got this idea that racism is an all or nothing thing as well, like you're either racist or you're not

you see it in this thread with people pointing to Clarkson and co's actions with other Indigenous players, communities etc as proof that they aren't racist

Clarkson admitted that as a young man he had some pretty bad views, views that would have been commonly articulated at the time. You can move past that stuff, you can change but that doesn't mean that you don't have to keep working and that you can't still have areas where you haven't moved on.

Paternalism is one way this stuff can manifest where you think you're being good and helpful but you're making judgements about the other persons capability to deal with this themselves based on race that you'd not end up in the same place with a white person but you don't believe that to be the case.

I reckon Clarkson, Fagan and Burt would generally believe that they weren't racist or acting racistly in these incidents, but that doesn't mean that they weren't.

The other thing to look at is how many other people in these players lives have acted similarly and been obviously racist in their reasoning, because that is going to impact how the players and their families saw the actions as well.

You don't have to be malicious to be racist, you don't have to be suggesting something negative to be racist, which a lot of people act dumb about I think because it's easier than dealing with it
Unconscious bias.........

I think it makes it a lot easier for people to try and think of racism in such black and white terms (pardon the pun). Thinking otherwise, in the sense that racist thought, however well-intentioned (paternalism being a good example) makes for some very uncomfortable realisations.

However, uncomfortable realisations are the only way that any progress is going to be made in this area. People who are not the victim of racism are unlikely to be too driven to seek change if they are not aware of this discreet racism.

I can't remember who said it or where I read it, but the idea that I like is that it's no longer enough to not be racist, one has to be proactively anti-racist.

I have seen several racist (verbal) attacks against people of Asian and Muslim backgrounds in Box Hill and Doncaster over the last 5 years.

Compared to New Zealand and other surrounding nations, it's hard not.to dispute Australia is not a racist country, although granted brain dead bogans being brainwashed by Murdoch media, is a significant factor.

Those scumbags who are quick to report on so called African Gang 'minor' crimes never report on incidents that you and I have witnessed.

They also never mention the nationality or skin colour of all of Australia's most infamous murderers/serial killers aka Ivan Milat, Peter Dumas and Martin Bryant etc

But as I say, this is mostly on Rupert Murdoch and his toxic news corpse media outlets.

Rupes is and forever will be the biggest piece of shit our country has ever produced.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have seen several racist (verbal) attacks against people of Asian and Muslim backgrounds in Box Hill and Doncaster over the last 5 years.

Compared to New Zealand and other surrounding nations, it's hard not.to dispute Australia is not a racist country, although granted brain dead bogans being brainwashed by Murdoch media, is a significant factor.

Those scumbags who are quick to report on so called African Gang 'minor' crimes never report on incidents that you and I have witnessed.

They also never mention the nationality or skin colour of all of Australia's most infamous murderers/serial killers aka Ivan Milat, Peter Dumas and Martin Bryant etc

But as I say, this is mostly on Rupert Murdoch and his toxic news corpse media outlets.

Rupes is and forever will be the biggest piece of s**t our country has ever produced.

Can't wait for African gangs to make a comeback in the lead up to the Vic election and then disappear again in December.

Can't wait for African gangs to make a comeback in the lead up to the Vic election and then disappear again in December.

The most kind and gentle souls I have come across in my 40 plus years living in Melbourne have been Africans.

I bet many of those so called reports centred around a group of Sudanese walking past Old Fart/Boomers homes just having a laugh and making jokes.

Happily the (intelligent) Victorian voters didn't fall for that toxic propaganda against African Youth/Gangs the last election , and won't do so come the next election.

May lose a seat or two/votes cause of the ignorant and selfish anti Vax nuffies, but Dan Andrews and the ALP are as certs to win an election in my lifetime.

The most kind and gentle souls I have come across in my 40 plus years living in Melbourne have been Africans.

I bet many of those so called reports centred around a group of Sudanese walking past Old Fart/Boomers homes just having a laugh and making jokes.

Happily the (intelligent) Victorian voters didn't fall for that toxic propaganda against African Youth/Gangs the last election , and won't do so come the next election.

May lose a seat or two/votes cause of the ignorant and selfish anti Vax nuffies, but Dan Andrews and the ALP are as certs to win an election in my lifetime.

This article is a bit sensationalist, but Its naive to think that there wasn't a crime spree going on. ( i had a car stolen from my house, others had much more violent attacks ).

Its racist to think that if a couple of Africans are causing problems then its all Africans.

Since the deportations the crime seems to have settled back down.
Couple of trouble makers. But they don't just deport people for nothing you ignoramus. Just because it wasn't going on near you doesn't mean it wasn't going on at all.

But you are being silly for trying to suggest that "all" Africans are all the most kind and gentle souls.
Everyone is different. Its racial stereotyping to suggest they are all good, just as it is to suggest they are all bad.
Your comments about Boomers, and anti-vax nuffies are also stereotyping people, the same type of mental process that leads to racism.

Idi Amin was an African and so was Steve Biko.

Rupes is and forever will be the biggest piece of s**t our country has ever produced.
Lachlan?

Once the HFC obtained information that contained human rights implications, it was compelled to contact the AFL. The AFL should refer to State/Federal Govt’s to determine if a Judicial Inquiry is required ‘a formal legal investigation conducted into a matter of public concern by a judge, appointed by the government’
AFL will never proactively allow loss of control of the outcome.

Unconscious bias.........
Yes that idea is so damaging.
Takes all the responsibility away from the person being racist.
Same as the ignorance line.

They didn't know better, they didn't realise, they just need some education/explanation.

Like for basic stuff that is very obvious that still gets trotted out.

Plenty of stuff isn't said but that doesn't mean its not seen or felt, makes it easy for people to ignore though which is I guess where I see the silent racism though

Ok, so who's making the allegations?

If serious allegations were being made against you would you not want to know WHO was making them?

Who's agenda was front and centre of the ABC's decision?

Unless the stories are 100% concocted, including the details which don't involve allegation, it's extremely likely that Fagan and Clarko know who has made the allegations.

What you are really asking for is for you to know who has made the allegations. Not sure how that benefits anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back