Autopsy Hawthorn v Adelaide, featuring the Great Escape

Remove this Banner Ad

That's interesting because I just didn't feel that was the case - thought his game was average tbh, in fact his season to date. Obviously this board has exceptionally high expectations
Maybe its Breusty's fault! He's set the bar high for the last 5 years and will continue to do so-keep the faith.

I want at the game so couldn't see what Jordy's role was, looked like a bad game but on TV just to hard to tell if he is playing a defensive role.
Billy was borderline I have to remember he's only played 16 4 quarter games out of his 30

Not sure what Lewis was doing most of the night but he looked miles off the pace. Hartung just put in a few noticeably soft efforts and made some poor decisions.

Surrounded by an unusually large number of not-so-unusually insufferable Adelaide supporters in the MCC tonight.

About a dozen 25-35 year old campaigners behind me yapping on obnoxiously loudly about their mundane lives all game and only started paying attention when they got out to 15 points late and then started getting yappy.

Two old campaigners in front of me who if not for their crows scarves might have been mistaken for Saints supporters given they were claiming Hawthorn were cheats who'd paid off the umpires all night from the very first free to the last.

And finally a gutless campaigner to my right who left his seat sometime midway through the second quarter and didn't return until midway through the last when they got out to a couple goals. Another one only getting yappy when they thought they were safe.

After Poppy kicked his 5th I jubilantly jumped up to celebrate and made sure I thanked the umpires and mentioned that it was great to see the money cleared. Old bloke in front nearly crushed his radio in his hand. Guy to the right had already vanished into the night, he didn't even stick around to see if they could snag it back. And the obnoxious lot behind me might've disappeared as well but alas they had simply decided to finally STFU!

Cegs was bloody good again.

Our team selection (mainly because Box Hill played two days afterwards I hope) was bloody awful and so was our coaching tonight. Once again against a team that floods we cannot take a mark up forward or stopped the counter attack.
We see this early every season. Hawthorn does not play its normal game except for patches when they are in trouble. They do this in order to keep their game plan a mystery as much as possible so opposition teams don't plan and adapt. We have done it for the past three years. Our game always changes in the second half of the year and then people take note of the mighty Hawthorn and the gap on the rest of the competition. This team is more ready and better than last year's, mark my words. (I hope :))

I had some friends from the UK go to their first game. Not sure they understood what was going on, but it was a very exciting game for them. :)

I love it. Despite all that's being thrown at us, we find a way to win. Hopefully we'll peak at roughly the same time as last year. We're definitely in a better position ladder wise.

Oh and Ceglar's skill and composure in close impressed me tonight. Still reckon he needs to take all his set shots from the pockets from now on :D

im reading all these threads like...

Mr.Bean-Middle-Finger.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see virtually nothing but upside at this point. We are playing absolutely nowhere near our best, we are missing one of our most important players, but we are still walking away with wins against very good sides. I'm confident Clarko will taper us up when it matters.

Really guys..... are these two the best choice to lift the silk man? looks like they are struggling big time

View attachment 238754
Jokingly suggested to my mate they'd get Hill and Hartung to carry him off. Was already laughing at the result and seeing Hill struggling to carry Burgers almost made me snort milk out my nose. And I hadn't even drunk milk.

Just got home and have settled in with a couple of toasted egg bacon & cheese sangas...

3. Hold. Hold. HOOOOLLLLDDDD.
Clarkson holding his nerve in moving #silk300 into the middle

Also Messenger our Italian friend was more Vito than Bobby.

In his post match interview Silk said he moved himself into the midfield. It was not Clarko :) Apparently, Silk, Mitchell, Hodge and couple of others make those calls on their own. Talk about on field coaches. Clarkson must love coaching this team.

Very impressed with TOB's game today. Was rock solid in defense. However, it was a robbing Peter to pay Paul situation because with him going down back it took away the only leading tall forward Hawthorn had. Had Clarko not been so bloody stubborn, like he was against Geelong and St Kilda, and played Brand, there wouldn't have been a robbing Peter situation.

Thank Christ Puopolo and Rioli are absolute mint and can create something out of nothing.

Shiels had another unassuming, yet vital role in that win. His tenacity at the contest was so important. Made things ultra hard for the Crows to get a good clearance when McEvoy was tapping it down their throats.

McEvoy. Urgh. Slaughtered again. I hope he's buying Liam Shiels every coffee he drinks for the whole season.

Brad Hill, you chicken hearted squib. Well done on honoring your idol by playing the most unBurgoyne-like game you will ever see. Someone take him to a Lord of the Dance show and strap him into the chair until he's no longer scared of hearing footsteps.

The worry at the moment is too little are doing too much and if this continues, they will be burnt out by the end of the season. Mitchell, Rioli, Stratton and Burgoyne are having to go above and beyond to get the team over the line.

Well done, Shaun. Once again stepping up and doing the little things that have a huge impact on the result. Absolute class.

Cegs, you're the best ruckman on the list, it's a shame you can last more than a half. The second efforts from you tonight created so much, especially in the F50.

Another gutsy performance. Onwards and upwards.

My thoughts:

-If Will Langford could kick...

-Lewis and Smith are not in good form, so much fumbling and turnover nonsense. Smith lucky to not give away that free kick in the end. I really hope it's just a beginning of the year thing.

-Massive brain fade from McEvoy at the last centre bounce. I wonder if it will cost him a spot in the team next week?

-Sicily and O'Brien are both good players.

-I feel like Adelaide took a ridiculous amount of contested marks.

-We are pretty rusty, and these teams are throwing everything at us, yet we still beat them. At the end of the day we have about 10 match winners in the side.

Very impressed with TOB's game today. Was rock solid in defense. However, it was a robbing Peter to pay Paul situation because with him going down back it took away the only leading tall forward Hawthorn had. Had Clarko not been so bloody stubborn, like he was against Geelong and St Kilda, and played Brand, there wouldn't have been a robbing Peter situation.

Thank Christ Puopolo and Rioli are absolute mint and can create something out of nothing.

Shiels had another unassuming, yet vital role in that win. His tenacity at the contest was so important. Made things ultra hard for the Crows to get a good clearance when McEvoy was tapping it down their throats.

McEvoy. Urgh. Slaughtered again. I hope he's buying Liam Shiels every coffee he drinks for the whole season.

Brad Hill, you chicken hearted squib. Well done on honoring your idol by playing the most unBurgoyne-like game you will ever see. Someone take him to a Lord of the Dance show and strap him into the chair until he's no longer scared of hearing footsteps.

The worry at the moment is too little are doing too much and if this continues, they will be burnt out by the end of the season. Mitchell, Rioli, Stratton and Burgoyne are having to go above and beyond to get the team over the line.

Well done, Shaun. Once again stepping up and doing the little things that have a huge impact on the result. Absolute class.

Cegs, you're the best ruckman on the list, it's a shame you can last more than a half. The second efforts from you tonight created so much, especially in the F50.

Another gutsy performance. Onwards and upwards.

Agreed on everything.

Except I think that McEvoy is vital for us. And Sauce is one of the best ruckmen in the game.

I must be alone in thinking hill wasn't too bad for first game back with minimal arm work due to injury, was providing early run (until it looked like he rolled ankle or something).

I must be alone in thinking hill wasn't too bad for first game back with minimal arm work due to injury, was providing early run (until it looked like he rolled ankle or something).

I agree, Brad Hill was good, just the usual haters line up in here to pot him.
At the ground, you could see his run was stretching the opposition, he seemed to find space where others couldn't. It was only his first game back, and he will get better. He was missed.

In contrast, Billy Hartung showed his inexperience. He needs more game time, just lacks a little confidence, and he's not one-grabbing the ball. I think he'll cone good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawthorn v Adelaide, featuring the Great Escape

Remove this Banner Ad

Back