Hawthorn vs Geelong could be the next big rivalry in football

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ummmm, let me point out to you that I wasn't attacking Geelongs drafting, you were attacking Hawthorns drafting. I think Geelong have done a good job.

So you've got eleven players that were second round or later... much like Mitchell, Young, Sewell, Taylor, Campbell, McGlynn, Muston, Murphy, Boyle and Brown? There's ten current Hawthorn senior listed players for you that come from the exact same boat.

But apparently Geelong are a better drafting team than Hawthorn because they've never gotten a priority pick. No mention of being gifted a centre spine through the father-son rule, but hey, that would be inconvenient wouldn't it?

Our centre spine is: Scarlett, Egan, Bartel, Mooney, N.Ablett. Two players, hardly a whole spine don't you think?

Our centre spine is: Scarlett, Egan, Bartel, Mooney, N.Ablett. Two players, hardly a whole spine don't you think?
Matty Scarlett, Gary Ablett Jnr. (in the middle), Tom Hawkins and Nathan Ablett. Hawkins will be your CHF in the not too distant future.

Have you given up trying to prove that Geelongs second round and onward drafting has been better than Hawthorns?

I think we got better value out of our late draft picks.

C.Brown v D.Wojcinski
S.Mitchell v C.Ling
C.Enright v T.Murphy
M.Egan v T.Boyle
P.Chapman v B.Muston
S.Johnson v S.Taylor
M.Rooke v B.McGlynn

Throw in D.Johnson, J.Hunt and M.Stokes.

I think we have you pipped for quality late drafts at the moment.

Oh and I rate Campbell Brown and Sam Mitchell, and to an extent Boyle, but I believe Geelong's late drafting has been better than the Hawks.

God you would think that the father-son rule only applies to geelong. Yes, geelong have had a great run through the father-son rule but there will be little Hird's, Buckly's, Voss's and the rest running around and then you will all be complaining about changes to the rule. Every team will get there good run with the rule its just been geelong over the past few seasons.

C.Brown v D.Wojcinski
S.Mitchell v C.Ling
C.Enright v T.Murphy
M.Egan v T.Boyle
P.Chapman v B.Muston
S.Johnson v S.Taylor
M.Rooke v B.McGlynn

Oh and I rate Campbell Brown and Sam Mitchell, and to an extent Boyle, but I believe Geelong's late drafting has been better than the Hawks.

How can you rate Muston?

He is coming back from 2 seriousness knee operations and was widely lauded pre injury as a top 5 pick.

C.Brown v D.Wojcinski
S.Mitchell v C.Ling
C.Enright v T.Murphy
M.Egan v T.Boyle
P.Chapman v B.Muston
S.Johnson v S.Taylor
M.Rooke v B.McGlynn

Perhaps if you're a one-eyed geelong supporter. Most Hawks supporters don't support your view, I'll be the first to put my hand up.

P.S. Muston's yet to make a debut.

Perhaps if you're a one-eyed geelong supporter. Most Hawks supporters don't support your view, I'll be the first to put my hand up.

P.S. Muston's yet to make a debut.

Maybe if your a one eyed Hawks supporter but I bet supporters from 14 other clubs would support my view. As for Muston, it was one of your fellow supporters that brought him up as a great low pick in the draft, not me.

Maybe if your a one eyed Hawks supporter but I bet supporters from 14 other clubs would support my view. As for Muston, it was one of your fellow supporters that brought him up as a great low pick in the draft, not me.

We'll see how your 'highly regarded' mob come up against ours come finals time. You guys have been in the spotlight since last year, the hawks are just starting to get the recognition.

The amount of exposure in the media emphasising certain players/ teams help influence the public's perception on how it rates a team/ player.

Quality drafting? What, like the Ablett brothers, Scarlett, Harley and Hawkins? It's quality drafting to have players handed to you under the father-son rule is it?

Or by quality drafting do you mean like Sam Mitchell, Brad Sewell, Clint Young, Robert Campbell, Simon Taylor and Ben McGlynn who started out at, and were picked up from Box Hill? Sewell, Young and McGlynn came from the rookie list, and have played a major part in our rise this season, but that doesn't count for quality drafting in your eyes?

Or by quality drafting do you mean the two regulars in our backline who were preseason draftees in Guerra and Gilham?

Maybe you mean the trades we made for Hodge (1) and Mitchell (36) for Croad and McFarlane, Lewis (7) for Thompson, Bailey (18) and Birchall (14) for Hay?

Could it be that you really don't rate Campbell Brown (31), Sam Mitchell (36), Tim Boyle (51), Tom Murphy (21), Simon Taylor (52) and Beau Muston (22). I mean after all, they all are second round or later picks.

And while you slag us for getting high draft picks, while touting the quality of your recruiting as the reason you're doing so well, then you certainly mustn't rate Bartel, Kelly, Mackie, Tenace, Varcoe or Selwood. Apparently while Hawthorn is built on high draft picks, yours was through good drafting.

Sure we have Roughead and Ellis from priorities, but the majority of our list has been put together through intelligent trading, drafting and use of the rookie list.

And the complete rebuilding of our list occurred in two seasons (end of '04 and '05). From having the horror of Beaumont, Piciaone, Ries, Graham, Lonie, McCabe, Brennan, Barlow, Holland, Cox, Tallis, Hay, Barker, Kane and Greene to having one of the most talented young lists in the league that we have now.

But if you want to talk about something you know nothing about, feel free.

awesome post!

ps. ablett snr (the best player for geelong in GF'89) should have been playing for hawthorn. as I understand it, the deal that was made when he went to geelong was that he would return to the hawks nest after X years, but it was never honored, nor enforced. that would have given us a couple of handy father son picks, too.

doesn't take much to turn the wheels of fate...

Top 10 picks.

2006 - Mitch Thorp (6)
2005 - Xavier Ellis (3), Beau Dowler (6)
2004 - Jarryd Roughhead (2), Lance Franklin (5), Jordan Lewis (7)
2002 - Luke Brennan (8)
2001 - Luke Hodge (1)

It's still a bit too early to look at the most recent draft years when analysing who the Hawthorn draft experts missed out on, so we'll go back a few years to the last super draft (2001). That year, Hawthorn had the #1 pick, and first pickings at the best players in the land... Hodge is a good player, but the following > Hodge. Ball, DelSanto, Judd, Bartel. Awesome drafting there by the Hawks.

The Cats on the other hand, have not been fed with a silver spoon. We have only had the four top 10 draft picks since 2000. As the Carlton fans are also no doubt aware of, we did not have to finish near the bottom of the ladder to draft well. Our recruiters>your recruiters.

2006 - Joel Selwood (7)
2003 - Kane Tenace (7)
2002 - Andrew Mackie (7)
2001 - Jimmy Bartel (8)

Wow, that's 8 top 10 selections to 4 since 2000. We could look at it another way and say that we have had 0 top 6 selections since 2000, and you guys have had 6! You're lucky that I didn't include all the first round selections, as Hawthorn would have once again been miles ahead. You rubbish on about our father son selections, but we only had one who was touted to go first round, and that was Tom Hawkins.

Perhaps this article by Dan Lonergan about your 4 first round picks in 05, would be of some interest to you? Of course you were going to start playing good football after all your draft picks. It's common sense. Geelong on the other hand has had to make do with lower draft picks, and judging by the current form of some of these players over looked by the tankers in the early stages of the first round, we have done a better job than you.
http://www.abc.net.au/sport/columns/200511/s1518192.htm?afl

But, when your team is finishing near the bottom of the ladder, it's not surprising that you're getting all these top 10 draft picks. After all, that's what the draft is there for isn't it? To bring up the struggling clubs by giving them high draft picks?

2006... Geel (10), Haw (11)
2005... Geel (6), Haw (14)
2004... Geel (4), Haw (15)

Well, I wish my club could tank out and finish near the bottom of the ladder for a number of years to score some cheap draft picks. My club has pride though, and does it the hard way. Tanking is a Hawthorn/Carlton/Richmond thing I guess.

It's still a bit too early to look at the most recent draft years when analysing who the Hawthorn draft experts missed out on, so we'll go back a few years to the last super draft (2001). That year, Hawthorn had the #1 pick, and first pickings at the best players in the land... Hodge is a good player, but the following > Hodge. Ball, DelSanto, Judd, Bartel. Awesome drafting there by the Hawks.

But, when your team is finishing near the bottom of the ladder, it's not surprising that you're getting all these top 10 draft picks. After all, that's what the draft is there for isn't it? To bring up the struggling clubs by giving them high draft picks?

2006... Geel (10), Haw (11)
2005... Geel (6), Haw (14)
2004... Geel (4), Haw (15)

Well, I wish my club could tank out and finish near the bottom of the ladder for a number of years to score some cheap draft picks. My club has pride though, and does it the hard way. Tanking is a Hawthorn/Carlton/Richmond thing I guess.

regarding the first paragraph: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7874518&postcount=198

in response to the latter, it appears to me that your club has been reasonably successful in recent years. you must have retained a solid core of reasonably good players and have recently obtained some talented youngsters to give you an edge. good on you guys for managing your list well over a long period of time.

hawthorn, on the other hand, have had to chuck out a lot of their key players for trades and high picks. they have taken risks and suffered some heartache (remember the outcry when they traded croad?) to do what needed to be done. they have come from nowhere and have got themselves somewhere. good on them for constructing a quality team from scratch.

both clubs are doing well right now, and I don't think it's really necessary to heap scorn on each other. I don't make fun of you guys for late season fade outs or choking under pressure in grand finals (much :D).

I believe that this thread is about a future rivalry between the two clubs. I tend to agree that this could eventuate...

Who really gives a shit about who got what draft picks - seriously!

For mine, Hawks/Geelong have had something of a rivalry ever since the late '80s. Maybe we haven't played off in too many big games, but there have been plenty of heartbreakingly close games (usually won by Hawthorn :mad:). It wouldn't surprise me for that rivalry to become larger over the next few years, as it is likely that both sides will play off in some big games. I don't want to see a GF though, because I just know that Hawthorn will dick us one way or another!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Regardless of the rivalry, its great to see a few Vic teams playing good footy and mixing it with the interstate teams. Its about bloody time. For the last 5 years the cup has gone interstate and am sick of seeing the non traditional clubs not being there on Grand Final day.

No compromise v lot of compromises - it will be more evident as time goes on.

bu then theres father-son. cats fans can look forward to their hopes relying on the sons of guys who them down in the eighties !

Interesting comment. John Scarlett and Terry Callan played in the 60s/70s. Rod Blake and John Hawkins played in the 70s/very early 80s. By the time Gary Ablett pulled on a jumper all of those players had retired.

In answer to the thread...

Yes. THe Cats and the Hawks are going to have a rekindled rivalry for the majority of the next decade. I for one am looking forward to it. I must say that for some time I was a hater of Hawthorn because of '89. As time went by I realised that it was time to build a bridge.

The Cats and Hawks are about to enter into a new era and this can only be good for footy. This is happening at a time where Sydney and West Coast are battling out their own rivalries.

What does this all mean. Brilliant mouth watering footy to follow and I as a Cats man first, footy lover second can only say it is overdue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back