Hawthorn vs Geelong could be the next big rivalry in football

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
God you would think that the father-son rule only applies to geelong. Yes, geelong have had a great run through the father-son rule but there will be little Hird's, Buckly's, Voss's and the rest running around and then you will all be complaining about changes to the rule. Every team will get there good run with the rule its just been geelong over the past few seasons.
I have no problem with the father-son rule. The Hawks have done well out of the father-son rule, just recently we've gotten Kennedy and Tuck and we've got another Kennedy coming through.

What I do have a problem with is a Geelong supporter claiming their drafting is so magnificent when a large chunk of your spine, now and into the future, has come from use of this rule. It's easy to draft good players when you are gifted the hardest part of the ground to fill (the spine) with third round draft picks.

Top 10 picks.
You rubbish on about our father son selections, but we only had one who was touted to go first round, and that was Tom Hawkins.
They were still gifted to you, so you can't claim it was good drafting. I'm sure they both would have gone fairly high in the open draft with Ablett next to their name. You guys were fairly desperate to get Nathan on your list, must have been rated for that to have happened.

Perhaps this article by Dan Lonergan about your 4 first round picks in 05, would be of some interest to you? Of course you were going to start playing good football after all your draft picks. It's common sense. Geelong on the other hand has had to make do with lower draft picks, and judging by the current form of some of these players over looked by the tankers in the early stages of the first round, we have done a better job than you.
http://www.abc.net.au/sport/columns/200511/s1518192.htm?afl

We traded for some good selections, but it isn't actually our early handouts that have effected our improvement. Probably fall on deaf ears again, but Sewell, Ladson, Campbell, Taylor, Lewis, Hodge, Mitchell, Gilham, Guerra, Osborne, Young, McGlynn, Bateman, Smith, Dixon, Boyle, Williams, Brown, Birchall, Croad, have nothing to do with finishing near the bottom of the ladder. That's about 95

% of our 22.

But, when your team is finishing near the bottom of the ladder, it's not surprising that you're getting all these top 10 draft picks. After all, that's what the draft is there for isn't it? To bring up the struggling clubs by giving them high draft picks?

We finished low for 2 years, received 2 years of priorities, not that different from multiple clubs. We needed the picks. Unlike Geelong who have shown this year that their list was very strong last year, but underperformed, and received Selwood to go along with Hawkins. Got very lucky there.

Well, I wish my club could tank out and finish near the bottom of the ladder for a number of years to score some cheap draft picks. My club has pride though, and does it the hard way. Tanking is a Hawthorn/Carlton/Richmond thing I guess.

"yawn". Throw in tanking, flooding, etc on bigfooty and expect to degrade the opposition, even when you aren't saying anything constructive.

Finished bottom four for only 2 years after our list was destroyed, good effort to get off to bottom 4 so quickly and suddenly be in line for top 4, whilst other clubs like Richmond and Carlton haven't managed to turn their lists around in that time.

Abletts twice the player of Hodge, Ablett is a proven finals player.. you know that hodge has never tasted september. :thumbsu: And they'll all crumble come finals time.

Rivialery my ass.. bunch of nancy boy top 10 picks V geelong, yes it similar to the Saints v Cats. They are a bunch of nancy boy blondies too, and look what happened to them.

Bottom out and Karma will catch up to you. :)

What I do have a problem with is a Geelong supporter claiming their drafting is so magnificent when a large chunk of your spine, now and into the future, has come from use of this rule. It's easy to draft good players when you are gifted the hardest part of the ground to fill (the spine) with third round draft picks.

Sorry, bit of an exaggeration there. In reality, our spine is Scarlett, Egan, Bartel, Mooney and Nathan Ablett. 2 out of 5. But I'm assuming you'll include all the father sons in there, so here goes:

Scarlett (FB) - Still probably our best player, but he was there when were utter crap too (1998-2003).

Egan (CHB) - pick number 62 or something like that. Plenty of clubs had a chance to get him, none did. That was undisputedly good recruiting.

Ablett(C)- I'm assuming you'll include him in the spine, even though it's only this year he's played on the ball (Bartel is the true centreman). He might have got drafted high due to the surname, but this is his 6th season of football. Wasn't like he was brilliant from day one.

Nathan Ablett (CHF) - Again I'm assuming that's where you'll put him, even though Mooney is our CHF. It's only this season that he has shown anything like consistent form. Funnily enough, before round 1 there were posts about what a dud he was going to be. And supporters from every single club were only too jubilant to join in. He's still only played 23 games. Not a success yet by any means.

Tom Hawkins (FF) - Same again. A grand total of 6 games so far for Hawkins - 3 good ones and 3 crap ones. He's the only one who was a standout at junior level and would have gone high. But he's currently kicking the dew of the ground in the seconds. So call me conservative, but I wouldn't quite call him a superstar just yet. He's miles away - if he makes it.

So yeah, if they all work, and if they all play in those positions (they currently don't) it's been quite good to us. But Christ it's more of a lottery than the normal draft is. I'm certainly not going to apologise if they come good. We're the only team that has not finished in the bottom 4 in the last 20 years. So we've missed ALL early draft picks in the last decade. If some father/son selections work out for us (2 have so far) great. It's the only assistance we've had.

Edit...i was gunna give that geelong dude shit about his "quality drafting" call, when half of it was all father son picks. But i got beaten to it :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our season was well finished before round 22 and had much potential after round 3. You ended nothing.

Actually your season was full of promise and hyperbole at Round 2 after 2 big wins. We brought you down to earth and your season fell apart after that.

You can disagree, but I can show you the week by week results if you want. :D

Actually your season was full of promise and hyperbole at Round 2 after 2 big wins. We brought you down to earth and your season fell apart after that.

Round 3 was a minor hiccup that we could have come back from. One loss doesn't end a season, a whole lot of them do, and it was every team that beat us that ended our season. But who cares? We're on top this year and that's all that matters at the moment.

Oh I remember now. Because it sure kick started your wonderful 2006 campaign

I reckon that it is great that both clubs are doing so well. Who gives a flying f*ck why?

I cannot wait for the next time we meet - hopefully it is in a final this year.

I'm not too sure who the Hawks had missing in Launceston (other than Williams), but I reckon if Ottens, Rooke and Steve Johnson had played that day the result may have been quite different. Anyway if if if if......

Would love to see a cats vs hawks grannie only second to playing the pies.

I reckon that it is great that both clubs are doing so well. Who gives a flying f*ck why?

I'm not too sure who the Hawks had missing in Launceston (other than Williams), but I reckon if Ottens, Rooke and Steve Johnson had played that day the result may have been quite different. Anyway if if if if......

Agree ... would love to see the Hawks v Cats in a final ... and all Victorian GF would be gold as well.

Really? I have this vague suspicion that sides apart from Hawthorn beat us last year. Like the Bulldogs, Sydney, Collingwood, Adelaide, St.Kilda, West Coast, Richmond - all after round 3 and before round 22. Call me insane but I think all those losses contributed to us missing the finals. It certainly didn't hinge on any one afternoon.

Really? I have this vague suspicion that sides apart from Hawthorn beat us last year. Like the Bulldogs, Sydney, Collingwood, Adelaide, St.Kilda, West Coast, Richmond - all after round 3 and before round 22. Call me insane but I think all those losses contributed to us missing the finals. It certainly didn't hinge on any one afternoon.

You do realise that you just validated my point of 'fell apart after that' .....

But I should have rephrased my comment to state that it was the Hawks that started your season spiralling out of control ... my bad.

You do realise that you just validated my point of 'fell apart after that' .....

But I should have rephrased my comment to state that it was the Hawks that started your season spiralling out of control ... my bad.
So by your logic, any side that is beaten in round one that doesn't make the finals, can thank their round one opponent for starting their slide. Right...me much clearer now and yes Hawthorn were responsible for Geelong's slide down the ladder.

Williams played that game. If i remember correctly he kicked 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back