Hawthorn vs Geelong could be the next big rivalry in football

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been to all the hawks v geelong games over the past 5 or so years and even though we have lost everytime since 08, they're still the best games I've seen live, with probably only the 2011 PF against the Pies as being another epic match close to the cats hawks games.

It is still hard to call it a rivalry atm with 1 team dominating the other albeit in mainly close matches. Whether the rivalry continues when we're mediocre remains to be seen but there is a lot of "hate" between the 2 clubs, with some respect too, so it may continue on for awhile yet.

When both become rubbish, they'll be relegated back to Sunday early afternoon/twilight games at KP and Launceston.

Geelong ever playing in Launceston depends on how much longer Hawthorn stick with the Tassie deal. I don't think we'll ever play them there again.

Think we'll get them at Simonds and Etihad once they are rubbish again.

I dunno. If they keep it up for another couple of years I think it'll become a lasting "thing".

In 30 years time (arbitrary number) when they are both strong at the same time again, I'd stake my (as yet unowned) house that the media will bring up the "history" of the pair as rivals. Just because it's not Collingwood-Carlton in terms of length of rivalry, doesn't mean it can't invoke the same passions in the fans of they are the one team that each set of fans doesn't want to lose to / loves to beat / craves beating. If it's gets to that stage in 5 years when both have seen their zenith, then it will be forever.

Depends how long Geelong get lucky and we go back to smashing them, never seen any of their fans at a game really.

Do they have any?

The AFL schedule Collingwood and Essendon on Anzac Day even when they are bottom 4. So there is no reason why Haw v Geel cannot be maintained on Easter monday.

As for the rivalry, plenty of Cat fans hate Hawthorn with a passion. They hated us before 2008 and they will hate us for a long time to come. Hawthorn have traditionally hated Essendon more, but we are learning to hate Geelong, So the rivalry will always be there.

Have a look at the 2007 era posting in here - it's not some one-way rivalry, don't even try and pretend.

To be honest, Hawk fans didn't care as much for it as Cats did, and that was possibly because of the Hawk wins...we were a bit blase...even now, I don't hate the Cats anywhere near as much as Essendon and Carlton, even though they've given us more interesting moments than either combined in my lifetime...much respect, because I've seen two Cats eras where they were a truly elite team for years...just for the sake of stirring the saga up, I want the Hawks to beat the Cats in the next game by a combined margin greater than any of the last nine, or alternatively get thumped twice in the roster season and still snatch a GF from them...!

pretty amazing from the OP to call it mid 07
This is one of the amazing things about BF - your words are immortalized and can come back to bite you or prove you to be a prophet. The OP was spot on. IMO the Hawks v Geelong rivalry is the No.1 rivalry in the AFL.

Who really gives a shit about who got what draft picks - seriously!

For mine, Hawks/Geelong have had something of a rivalry ever since the late '80s. Maybe we haven't played off in too many big games, but there have been plenty of heartbreakingly close games (usually won by Hawthorn :mad:). It wouldn't surprise me for that rivalry to become larger over the next few years, as it is likely that both sides will play off in some big games. I don't want to see a GF though, because I just know that Hawthorn will dick us one way or another!

Particularly love this quote from 2007 when neither side had made a Grand Final in over a decade. So eerily spot on!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dunno. If they keep it up for another couple of years I think it'll become a lasting "thing".

In 30 years time (arbitrary number) when they are both strong at the same time again, I'd stake my (as yet unowned) house that the media will bring up the "history" of the pair as rivals. Just because it's not Collingwood-Carlton in terms of length of rivalry, doesn't mean it can't invoke the same passions in the fans of they are the one team that each set of fans doesn't want to lose to / loves to beat / craves beating. If it's gets to that stage in 5 years when both have seen their zenith, then it will be forever.

Whilst the rivalry will be a 'lasting thing', I believe it will remain dormant during times when one or both sides are struggling (as I've said). See the Swans/Eagles rivalry, along with several others to a lesser extent.

BTW can Geelong and Hawthorn supporters who wish to engage in a shitfight please confine it to the bay? I want a civil discussion thank you.

I would say our biggest rivals are in no order Essendon, Geelong & North.
Collingwood & Carlton are always good to beat and Richmond well if you don't play meaningful games then it's hard to have a rivalry.
The rest of the Clubs have either been poorly performing or interstate sides.

Whilst the rivalry will be a 'lasting thing', I believe it will remain dormant during times when one or both sides are struggling (as I've said). See the Swans/Eagles rivalry, along with several others to a lesser extent.

I think the only way such a rivalry can exist indefinitely is if it is between two of the 'big 4' Vic clubs, or the two NSW/Qld/SA/WA clubs. Every other potential rivalry will be susceptible to peaks and troughs, based on the strength of one or both teams. Still, the dislike between Geelong and Hawthorn goes back a long way (I don't think Bob Davis and John Kennedy were on each others Christmas card list prior to the 1963 grand final) and this has escalated to outright hostility between the supporter bases over the past five years. The crowds may dwindle, but I think the animosity could be something that is passed down the generations.

I think the only way such a rivalry can exist indefinitely is if it is between two of the 'big 4' Vic clubs, or the two NSW/Qld/SA/WA clubs. Every other potential rivalry will be susceptible to peaks and troughs, based on the strength of one or both teams. Still, the dislike between Geelong and Hawthorn goes back a long way (I don't think Bob Davis and John Kennedy were on each others Christmas card list prior to the 1963 grand final) and this has escalated to outright hostility between the supporter bases over the past five years. The crowds may dwindle, but I think the animosity could be something that is passed down the generations.

As you said, traditional rivalries (i.e. cross-town rivalries and those between the so-called 'big 4') exist indefinitely. The prominence of other rivalries is dependent on the form of one or both clubs.

The dislike between Geelong and Hawthorn will always exist, and has since 1963. Throughout large periods during that time however, Cats/Hawks games were of little significance, and will be so when one or both clubs is struggling again and crowds subsequently decline.

Geelong v Hawk games are normally crackers but for this to be a true big rivalry, the Hawks need to nab a few wins. Geelong's winning streak in these clashes is something like 10 games running?

Geelong v Hawk games are normally crackers but for this to be a true big rivalry, the Hawks need to nab a few wins. Geelong's winning streak in these clashes is something like 10 games running?
Say it louder!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back