Autopsy Hawthorn vs Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

Savage was second best on ground

Geez I can't split him and Mitch tbh.

Mitch had only 5 more disposals but Sav had 4 more goals. Very tempted to give Sav the 3 votes today.

Very happy with the win today. We conserved energy for the next couple of weeks before our bye, escaped relatively injury free, and ended up with an easy 4 pts. Couldn't ask for much more except for Buddy to get off the elbow charge...which with his record, won't happen. Question is, will he back after the Bombers for the big game against the Pies or not?

The Bombers weren't great today despite what the scoreboard says, we should be able to handle them with or without Buddy, really. Not so sure about Collingwood however.

When I see Smith running, I personally want to hear David Attenborough commentating on Gazzelles.

Also a stat that I like, apart from Lisle every player on our team layed a tackle this game.

Also like Burgoyne in the backline. Gets his hands on the ball, gets him involved and he is such a good mover of the footy. Adds class and polish. With Suckling + Birch+ Burgoyne we have great kicking out of the backline. Birchall is having the best year since 08 if not better. Has answered his critics. Suckling's kicking is precise. Laser boot!

Poppy has some wheels and is running on Diesel 24/7.

Bailey has full confidence in his knees now. Going in there hard tackling, dropping down to get the ball. Took some good contested marks too. Tap work was superb. Getting better every week. Getting quicker too I reckon!

Hodge with 30 touches. Good confidence boost. Mitchell, at his sublime, consistent best once again. Sheils hard at it, and racked up the disposals. Sneaking under the radar with another 25+ count. Sewell's inside work was awesome. Didn't get alot of the ball but 8 tackles speaks volumes of his work rate.

Breust + full game = goals galore. Clarko got rewarded for his faith. Always looks omnious when the ball goes into the 50.

Buddy with a casual 3 goals. Could have done more, but would be a very good game for any other player. Took some marks which i liked, dropped others but his passing inside 50 is superb. Same can be said with Rioli's kicking in to goal. Hits the scoreboard too!

Shane Savage. Gun. Another BOG performance that he can add to his career, which will hopefully be long, rewarding and in Brown n Gold Colours :)

Controlled the game for three quarters and lead largely by our kids, I was impressed, although it appears not many others were. Would be reckless to go too hard at the moment, we need players for the end of the year.

Any 70+ point win, is a good win in my books. :D

What's with all the Buddy bashing?? he played a good game, his kicking for goal was off,but that was all. Also there was nothing in that elbow, he hardly grazed him. Only changes next week should be forced changes, i.e Laddo out for Goo.

it Hurt to see Brownie in those colours, but it was good to see him chatting with the boys before and after the game,you can see there where no hard feelings.

I think we should keep Lisle down back. He has the body of a key defender and has experience there. I expect Hille will be back so we will have our hands full with Hurley, Hille Ryder lurking up forward. Hope Schoey is back so he can take Hurley!!.

Three things I learnt today
-Savage is a gun. reminded me of a fully fit Chance Bateman
- Gibson, Lisle were solid today.
- Mitchell is our most important player.

Lets Smash the Dons Next week!! GO HAWKS!!

Agreed size and speed are similar, but I know who i would prefer kicking for goals out of Savage and Bateman!

BTW - What was Whitecross doing with that kick for goal?? going backwards 45 metres from 30 metres out was bizarre.

Agree - what was he thinking:eek:

Alistair Clarkson said:
"to settle our side and get them to play a brand of footy that gets us a 10 goal victory, we're happy with."

Pretty much confirms my train of thought that today was all about getting in some real match practice for our uncontested, possession style game plan that will be very prominent against the top sides later in the year.

We were in second gear for most of that match, and as such, we are now in a very good position to give it our absolute all for a couple of tough encounters against the Bombers and Pies over the next fortnight.

Very smart coaching if you ask me (which granted, no one did...).

What I learned:

Isaac Smith has more class than a room of englishmen.

The Shoe and Lisle could be the defensive version of Buddy and Rough.

WHat was further confirmed:

My boy SAvage is as good a go for the Rising star as anyone.

Breust has balls you couldnt stuff into a potato sack.

You could go ten pin bowling and throw strikes down with Shiels head.

Little pig blows down wolves houses with one breath.

We have some youth that is terrifying.

Agree - what was he thinking:eek:

Whitey was simply playing to the game plan which relies heavily on playing uncontested football by maintaining possession through smart decision making and precision disposal. I don't really see what's so shocking about it tbh...

It's the same when a backman doesn't have an option up the ground, so instead switches the play by kicking across the field and often backwards as well. I still remember when supporters used to be shocked by this too, and a loud "BOOOO" could be heard echoing across the ground as supporters looked on in disbelief, puzzled by this never before seen tactic. These days it's become a very common tactic employed by most/all teams and is now only jeered by a minority of supporters who still haven't quite grasped the concept of modern day football.

I think we'll be seeing a lot more of what Whitey did today (maybe not always to the same extent) in the AFL over the coming years as the game becomes even more professional and the tactics become even more complicated and prominent.

Stunning game from Savage. He has stepped up. I like the comparisons to Changa. I'd been thinking Crawf-like after some of his goal celebrations a few weeks ago.

Breust. He just seems to be cruising, flying under the radar one minute, then seemingly slowing time the next. It's like he's got some sort of stealth technology, just seems to give himself so much time. Got a decent step on him as well. Reminds of Willow at times.

Lisle just looks older and more mature than he is. Like him down back, but wouldn't have minded seeing him thrown forward as well for a while. We were far enough ahead to experiment a little. Anyhow, did a good job and would have gained confidence down there. Handy tall option to have at either end of the ground.

Whitey was simply playing to the game plan which relies heavily on playing uncontested football by maintaining possession through smart decision making and precision disposal. I don't really see what's so shocking about it tbh...

It's the same when a backman doesn't have an option up the ground, so instead switches the play by kicking across the field and often backwards as well. I still remember when supporters used to be shocked by this too, and a loud "BOOOO" could be heard echoing across the ground as supporters looked on in disbelief, puzzled by this never before seen tactic. These days it's become a very common tactic employed by most/all teams and is now only jeered by a minority of supporters who still haven't quite grasped the concept of modern day football.

I think we'll be seeing a lot more of what Whitey did today (maybe not always to the same extent) in the AFL over the coming years as the game becomes even more professional and the tactics become even more complicated and prominent.

I disagree, the obvious difference is that the whole point of the game is getting the ball into a scoring position, that is where it already was.
Backmen and midfielders may well go sideways, backwards or whichever way to maintain possession, there is no point going forward if there are no options and you are more likely to see the ball sailing back over your head. A forward 35 metres from goal may go sideways to a better scoring position, but putting the ball outside the 50 is a concept i do not follow, if he kicks forward he is not kicking to a contest, he is kicking to score.

In the context of this game it meant little - what it does tell me is that Whitey needs more confidence in his goal kicking ability.

Breust. He just seems to be cruising, flying under the radar one minute, then seemingly slowing time the next. It's like he's got some sort of stealth technology, just seems to give himself so much time. Got a decent step on him as well. Reminds of Willow at times. quote]

Breust reminded me of Keanu Reeves in the Matrix when he head faked Browny and then turned him inside out - he just had so much time. Also loved when he darted through an opening between 2 suns players to snag another goal.....it was Cyril like

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love the "Punky Breust" otherwise known as the sidestep.
He said in a recent interview "I'm probably known around the club more for my sidestep, but I'm not a bad tackler".
I can see why he is known for it, made Brown look like a hack on more than one occasion.

I disagree, the obvious difference is that the whole point of the game is getting the ball into a scoring position, that is where it already was.
Backmen and midfielders may well go sideways, backwards or whichever way to maintain possession, there is no point going forward if there are no options and you are more likely to see the ball sailing back over your head. A forward 35 metres from goal may go sideways to a better scoring position, but putting the ball outside the 50 is a concept i do not follow, if he kicks forward he is not kicking to a contest, he is kicking to score.

In the context of this game it meant little - what it does tell me is that Whitey needs more confidence in his goal kicking ability.

Any old scoring position? I think not. The whole point is to get the ball into a scoring position that gives your team the best possible chance, under the circumstances, of securing the goal.

If I recall, Whitey was pressed up against the boundary line pretty tight, 40 meters out, and as someone who isn't at all a natural goal kicker, he was 50/50 from there at best. So, he made the decision to try and improve the 50/50 situation his team was in and unfortunately it didn't pay off in that instance.

Whether the thought process of going backwards from where Whitey was to setup a more effective forward entry on the way back in is the right thought process or not, is pure conjecture. Under the game plan we took in today, I don't think it was such a terrible decision to try to accomplish this, it just wasn't executed in the correct manner in this particular case.

Remarkable running capacity.

Outstanding games from
Mitch
Savage
Breust
Birchall

Solid games from
Hodge
Buddy
Smith
Shiels
Suckers

Good Contributors
Whitecross
Sewell
Lewis
Murphy
Bailes
Cyril

Worth another run
Lisle
Hale

I think a lot of earlier posters have been a bit harsh on the Hawks. Personally I think the team did very, very well considering the outs from last week and the restructuring of the team during the week. We have a good brand of footy :thumbsu:

Remarkable running capacity.

Outstanding games from
Mitch
Savage
Breust
Birchall

Solid games from
Hodge
Buddy
Smith
Shiels
Suckers

Good Contributors
Whitecross
Sewell
Lewis
Murphy
Bailes
Cyril

Worth another run
Lisle
Hale

Added

Pop Solid
Gibson Solid
Ladson Good till injured
Ossie (sub) Good for short time on ground
Burgers Good

Really enjoyed watching Smith today. Brings something different to the team and is willing to play on after a mark. He fumbled a fair bit and made a few blues but you can see that there is a lot there to work with :thumbsu:

Any old scoring position? I think not. The whole point is to get the ball into a scoring position that gives your team the best possible chance, under the circumstances, of securing the goal.

IMO a set shot position from the boundary 35 metres out is better than a non scoring position any day. Whitecross is actually not a bad kick, he was capable of scoring from there.

Average game against average opposition. Normal for us to be uninspiring as a whole.

• Loved Savage today. :D :thumbsu:
  • Mitch was his normal self. :thumbsu:
  • As soon as the ball hits the turf, Hale is as useful as a brick wall :thumbsdown: will need to improve. Hopefully better for the run.
  • Speculation about Lisle being too slow for defence looked to be correct, however his hands, decision making and general skills were real smooth today. Certainly had the composure of a 50 gamer IMO. :thumbsu:
  • Suckling seems to be becoming rather lazy in his defensive efforts.
  • Shiels, Puopolo and Smith >>>> Menzel, Duncan and ????? yet they're all who the media talk about!!!!! :(

Average game against average opposition. Normal for us to be uninspiring as a whole.

• Loved Savage today. :D :thumbsu:
  • Mitch was his normal self. :thumbsu:
  • As soon as the ball hits the turf, Hale is as useful as a brick wall :thumbsdown: will need to improve. Hopefully better for the run.
  • Speculation about Lisle being too slow for defence looked to be correct, however his hands, decision making and general skills were real smooth today. Certainly had the composure of a 50 gamer IMO. :thumbsu:
  • Suckling seems to be becoming rather lazy in his defensive efforts.
  • Shiels, Puopolo and Smith >>>> Menzel, Duncan and ????? yet they're all who the media talk about!!!!! :(

Please explain:confused:

No need for the comparative nonsense. Media coverage means jack all in terms of thier development. They are coming along nicely, we don't need the media blowing them up for us to recognize it.

On a side note, Puopolo showed serious pace today when he nearly caught a Sun (McKenzie?) running through the guts. He knows how to get those pins moving.

Tim lanes snide comment early on 'hawks kicking goals who you've never heard of"

and later saying broost and savage look like stars.

Is it nice and warm under your rock, tim ?

In fact he was more biased than GC director Malc Blight

IMO a set shot position from the boundary 35 metres out is better than a non scoring position any day. Whitecross is actually not a bad kick, he was capable of scoring from there.

It was in this case, but had that play worked and ended up with a set shot 35 meters out from straight in front...

Risk/Reward, much like our precision-passing offense and high-zoning defense at times.

Autopsy Hawthorn vs Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

Back