Hawthorn's involvement in the drug saga?

Remove this Banner Ad

Really strange time to release this info on the eve of such a big game. I can't begin to imagine how players would be feeling ATM.

I'm wondering if the club is trying to stay one step ahead of ASADA announcements or has this something to do with the outcome of the Ziggy report - isnt that due Friday

Did the bombers release this info? I thought they weren't talking until the investigation is over?

Essesndon's senior management are a disgrace. They are putting themselves and their own reputations ahead of the club and player's. If they are to minimise the penalties to the players then people involved need to fess up and step down.

Essesndon's senior management are a disgrace. They are putting themselves and their own reputations ahead of the club and player's. If they are to minimise the penalties to the players then people involved need to fess up and step down.
Hird looks forward to being able to tell his side of the story.

Richard Ings and Doc Larkins have both just stated on 3aw ASADA and WADA do not and will never give approvals for the use of prohibited substances.

can somebody photoshop Hird, Robson and Evans into this please with Vlad and Co as the bystanders

Richard Ings and Doc Larkins have both just stated on 3aw ASADA and WADA do not and will never give approvals for the use of prohibited substances.

can somebody photoshop Hird, Robson and Evans into this please with Vlad and Co as the bystanders

oogac

Love to help, but in Thailand at the moment. Don't have those particular tools with me.
Excuses excuses. Why so far away, when you know you only have to go to the Windsor Castle for a good time?

Excuses excuses. Why so far away, when you know you only have to go to the Windsor Castle for a good time?

I havent been back there since. Better here, lazing beside the pool, free JD's between 5-7 and observing Russians (the hotel is packed with them) and wondering which one's could be future marathon bombers.

Back on Monday so if Hird and Co havent been sacked I may have a look then.

I havent been back there since. Better here, lazing beside the pool, free JD's between 5-7 and observing Russians (the hotel is packed with them) and wondering which one's could be future marathon bombers.

Back on Monday so if Hird and Co havent been sacked I may have a look then.
I feel ya. Was doing very similar a few weeks ago in Vietnam, although no free JD's! Spewing!

They deserved to be punished just for being dumb enough not to make a copy of the letter that would otherwise absolve them of any wrong doing.

Though it would be hard to take a photocopy of a letter that never actually existed...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so... massive uproar and AFL condemnation when it is deemed that the Dees "lied" about having dealings with Danks but now, clearly, the Dons have also lied and only admit guilt when the evidence is stacking against them yet we're not seeing the fury of the AFL? The double standards reek to high heaven.

so... massive uproar and AFL condemnation when it is deemed that the Dees "lied" about having dealings with Danks but now, clearly, the Dons have also lied and only admit guilt when the evidence is stacking against them yet we're not seeing the fury of the AFL?

They are hoping the 'slow burn' of evidence presented, 'he said - she said' will see people become numbed to any new revelations as old news - it's working to an extent.

But make no mistake - this team is faaarked and will be sanctioned heavily.

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news...ms-about-antiobesity-drug-20130425-2ihjh.html

"Casting serious doubt over the private claims of sports scientist Stephen Dank that he gained written approval from anti-doping bodies for all substances administered to Essendon players, John Fahey added it was unheard of for WADA to directly approve individual requests of any kind. That responsibility, Fahey said on Thursday, would be for the relevant national anti-doping agency - the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority in the case of Essendon or any Australian sports club or league."

The AFL have gone to ground.

They'll be concocting something for public usage.

Take special note of how the Hun have gone nowhere near this story since the news of AOD-9604 being banned has been confirmed(Instead we have stories about who GWS should target, Hows the Cats are travelling etc).

The biggest story in sport right now, and they don't want to touch it when the drug that everyone has been talking about is confirmed by WADA as a banned substance.

It remains to be seen if the truth will ever come out.

One thing is for sure, there's a growing number of footy fans who are joining the dots.

The sponsorship page tells an interesting story about why they're not shitting in the hangar and Robbo's getting the special leaks.

Official Partner = Heraldsun

One of the footy shows earlier this week said the investigation will be concluded in August.
That would suit the AFL because the minimum suspension is 6 months and any suspensions could/would then be served during the off-season.(my guess)
Maybe that's the way they are seen to be doing something but actually nothing.

On the matter of the letter, Essendon must be guilty of either gross incompetence or stupidity.
Clearly they have no real policies on critical issues such as drugs or they are unenforceable because of poor systems or process.
I find it absurd that a letter cannot be found.

If it was a court of law, I am sure the position of the judge would then be that no such letter exists.

One of the footy shows earlier this week said the investigation will be concluded in August.
That would suit the AFL because the minimum suspension is 6 months and any suspensions could/would then be served during the off-season.(my guess)
Maybe that's the way they are seen to be doing something but actually nothing.

On the matter of the letter, Essendon must be guilty of either gross incompetence or stupidity.
Clearly they have no real policies on critical issues such as drugs or they are unenforceable because of poor systems or process.
I find it absurd that a letter cannot be found.

If it was a court of law, I am sure the position of the judge would then be that no such letter exists.
If all that separated your club's actions from being illegal was a solitary letter then you would be keeping multiple copies of that letter in various safe locations. Given they kept copies of the permission slips I find it impossible to believe they didn't think to keep a copy of the one thing that could exonerate them. Also, I find it impossible to believe ASADA would not have retained a copy of any advice they provided in writing to a professional sporting organisation.

My interpretation is that Stephen Dank told the EFC that what he was administering was approved.
He probably assumed it was approved because it was not on any official list as a banned substance.
He tells the EFC when the shit hits the fan that he checked and has a letter to say so.
The club never checked or didn't believe they needed to check that what Dank was saying was accurate.

When the entire club is put at risk, you need checks and processes.
Very poor risk management on behalf of the EFC.

My interpretation is that Hird got exactly what he was were after.....a sports scientist that would push the boundaries. The outgoing fitness manager has stated as much.

My intepretation is also that Shane Charter, a convicted drug trafficker known to Hird, and who openly states that he's helped athletes avoid detection of PED use, was not coincidentally supplying Dank with supplements used by the EFC.

Hird wanted his players bigger and stronger.
Dank and Robinson are brought to the club due to their reputations.
Hird 'ran into' Charter in 2011 according to an EFC spokesman.

All three parties were aiming to push the boundaries. They outsmarted themselves, and when the ACC started to stir, what they thought was gone and forgotten was soon being poked and prodded.

I'm with Grizz. Right now the AFL are silently trying to guide Essendon through it, the media aren't touching it, and the fans are sitting back wondering if this entire saga is more widespread than just Windy Hill.

My interpretation is that Stephen Dank told the EFC that what he was administering was approved.
He probably assumed it was approved because it was not on any official list as a banned substance.
He tells the EFC when the shit hits the fan that he checked and has a letter to say so.
The club never checked or didn't believe they needed to check that what Dank was saying was accurate.

When the entire club is put at risk, you need checks and processes.
Very poor risk management on behalf of the EFC.

Notwithstanding what actually went on, there is the broader governance issue at the heart of this matter.

At the absolute bare minimum, the entire playing list as been exposed to potential risks - reputation, health and financial. And the club has been woefully negligent in its responsibilities and duty of care. That's at a minimum. The 'loose cannon' or 'we thought it was checked off' is no defence in such a matter.

No matter what Danks or the club says, there is a very serious issue here. And it can't be explained away or rationalised as if its a plot device from a Thomas Hardy novel i.e. when the letter was surreptitiously pushed through the mail slot, did it go under or over the mat. Ergo: there was a letter, but it slid out of view.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn's involvement in the drug saga?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back