Help me with my top 20 Players of All time list

Remove this Banner Ad

Franklin is easily the best forward since Dunstall and Locket retired. No big question mark about it. Why is the contested mark such a big thing for everyone. He is in top 5 best of all time. He is actually a decent mark overhead but people forget.

If he could mark the contested as good as the others he would be the GOAT forward no doubt.
Carey was still playing after lockett and dunstall retired.

Problem is franklin couldnt mark contested balls for sh***. Tom lonergans bunny as a result.

Jackovich CHB, Judd on ball, Matera on the wing and Cox in the ruck
Buddy would have to get a look in, although with a forwardline of Dunstall, Lockett, Ablett and Carey, spots are short
I would take buddy over dunstall. With lockett and ablett and carey there is no room for dunstall. Buddy would fit though.

Franklin is easily the best forward since Dunstall and Locket retired. No big question mark about it. Why is the contested mark such a big thing for everyone. He is in top 5 best of all time. He is actually a decent mark overhead but people forget.

If he could mark the contested as good as the others he would be the GOAT forward no doubt.

Its a bit like saying if Stewie Loewe could kick as well as Lockett he would be greatest CHF of all time. Problem is, he doesn't.

I think Franklin is probably best since Ablett, Lockett and Dunstall (Lloyd may argue) but he is behind those three and Hudson, Carey, Coleman, Hart probably Coventry and Pratt so at best I think he is 9th - 10th best without thinking about other players too hard.

Leigh Matthews, Wayne Carey, Gary Ablett Jr, Polly Farmer, Haydn Bunton, Gary Ablett Sr, Dick Reynolds, Ted Whitten, Bob Skilton, Tony Lockett, Ian Stewart, John Coleman, Kevin Bartlett, John Nicholls, Greg Williams, Ron Barassi, Peter Hudson, Barry Cable, Bill Hutchison and Lance Franklin is a pretty safe top 20 IMO, some names unlucky to miss a spot but that'll always be the case when making such a list.

I would take buddy over dunstall. With lockett and ablett and carey there is no room for dunstall. Buddy would fit though.

Dunstall is an interesting one. He was more subtle than Lockett and Ablett and had the advantage of playing I probably the greatest team ever with elite ball users everywhere. But on sheer weight of goals and average goals per game, it is hard to leave him out of the conversation even if he wasn't as gifted a footballer as some of the others.

Take darren jarman over daicos. Probably only room from one of them given they played the same role.

Jarman really?

As a Cats supporter were you not there in 93 when Ablett kicked 7 and Daicos 8?

Both near the end of their careers at aged 31.

Short memories but no small forward has equaled Daicos’s 97 goals in 1990 yep that’s with his body shot!

Again Daicos kicked 78 as a centre man and that’s nearly 20 more than Jarman ever did...

Jarman really?

As a Cats supporter were you not there in 93 when Ablett kicked 7 and Daicos 8?

Both near the end of their careers at aged 31.

Short memories but no small forward has equaled Daicos’s 97 goals in 1990 yep that’s with his body shot!

Again Daicos kicked 78 as a centre man and that’s nearly 20 more than Jarman ever did...
Jarman is one of the best players ive seen. Daicos was also a star but not consistent enough. His 1990 sesson was awesome but there were many average years in there. Jarman slightly better overall. Its no major slight to come second to jarman.

No slight at all, however there would be many other opposition supporters Carlton, Richmond, Essendon, West Coast and Geelong,

that would remember his 80s 90s exploits and differ in opinion.

I don’t believe Jarman had anything like the injuries Daicos had. Such was in 1987 Matthews suggested the game had passed him

by...

Last edited:
Interesting to categorise the top 10 tall forwards ever (CHF & FF)
It's my strong belief that Hudson and Coleman are the 1 & 2 and I'll argue that with anyone.
1 Hudson
2 Coleman
3 Lockett
4 Ablett Sr
5 Carey
6 Dunstall
7 Hart
8 Coventry
9 Buddy
10 McKenna / Titus / Pratt ??

That's off the top of my head so I probably forgot someone
10th absolute raffle. Dick Lee was incredible too.

On TA-1024 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also just heard the ghost of Laurie Nash whisper to me he should be in there as a forward.

Whisper?!? He came into my room, punched me in the head, kicked my dog, drank my beer and said 'Mate, if I wasn't bowling bouncers at Douglas Jardine, I would have kicked more goals than that snowflake Bob Pratt, won more Brownlows than Reynolds and Bunton combined, and STILL would have kicked 18 goals for Victoria playing Centre-Half Back'.

No slight at all, however there would be many other opposition supporters Carlton, Richmond, Essendon, West Coast and Geelong,

that would remember his 80s 90s exploits and differ in opinion.

I don’t believe Jarman had anything like the injuries Daicos had. Such was in 1987 Matthews suggested the game had passed him

by...
May be true on the injury front. But we can only judge them on what they produce and not what they could of been.

Dunstall is an interesting one. He was more subtle than Lockett and Ablett and had the advantage of playing I probably the greatest team ever with elite ball users everywhere. But on sheer weight of goals and average goals per game, it is hard to leave him out of the conversation even if he wasn't as gifted a footballer as some of the others.
He only played one position though. Full forward. As with lockett. Only one fits and i go lockett. You could maybe play both if you didnt have other key forwards who went deep but both carey and Ablett did. Cant have all four in the forward fifty. Buddy could play more up the ground.

1. Wayne 'The King/Duck' Carey
2. 'Lethal' Leigh Matthews
3. Gary 'God' Ablett
4. Lance 'Buddy' Franklin
5. Tony 'Plugger' Lockett
6. Gary 'Little Master' Ablett
7. Jason 'Piggy' Dunstall
8. Graham 'Polly' Farmer
9. Kevin 'KB/Hungry' Bartlett
10. Ted 'Mr Football' Whitten
11. Greg 'Diesel' Williams
12. Stephen 'SOS' Silvagni

ahh I cant be bothered/didn't watch the really old guys

He only played one position though. Full forward. As with lockett. Only one fits and i go lockett. You could maybe play both if you didnt have other key forwards who went deep but both carey and Ablett did. Cant have all four in the forward fifty. Buddy could play more up the ground.

Yeah, remember though you are not picking a team. You are picking 20 all time best, so you could have 6 full forwards if you want. If you are picking a team then I think someone like Doull is closer to being in.

Yeah, remember though you are not picking a team. You are picking 20 all time best, so you could have 6 full forwards if you want. If you are picking a team then I think someone like Doull is closer to being in.
That post was in response to a discussion about a best forward line but yes for the thread overall you are correct.

1. Wayne 'The King/Duck' Carey
2. 'Lethal' Leigh Matthews
3. Gary 'God' Ablett
4. Lance 'Buddy' Franklin
5. Tony 'Plugger' Lockett
6. Gary 'Little Master' Ablett
7. Jason 'Piggy' Dunstall
8. Graham 'Polly' Farmer
9. Kevin 'KB/Hungry' Bartlett
10. Ted 'Mr Football' Whitten
11. Greg 'Diesel' Williams
12. Stephen 'SOS' Silvagni

ahh I cant be bothered/didn't watch the really old guys

I think it’s the general consensus that Gaz snr, Duck and lethal are the 3 best in the TV era. Just the order comes down to personal preference.

If you just picking just on stats Leigh would be number 1

If your picking just on pure entertainment Gaz is number 1

If you are picking one player who can just dominate and has intangibles you just can’t teach then the Carey is number 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Help me with my top 20 Players of All time list

Remove this Banner Ad

Back