Herald-Sun Article on the AFL introducing the stand rule to stop Richmond (posted here)

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond will always be known as the team that was so good that they had to change the rules. It doesn’t happen that often.
I know they changed the rules in Billiards because of Walter Lindrum.
Bradman and the leg side rule in a round about way.
So we are in good company .
Teams will be dominate but never Richmond dominate.

We are the Wilt Chamberlin of the AFL.

1721060724240.png

It used to be teams would come up with a game plan that won them game (eg Pagans paddock) then another team would come up with something to stop that and win games and so it would go on, but in our case the governing body stepped in before there was a chance for other teams to come up with a way to stop us or something that worked better.
The other thing is sometimes these styles only work foe a period of time while a team has the players to execute it, it just doesn't last forever, the rules don't need to be changed to stop it.
All the rule changes do is stifle organic growth of tactics.

It used to be teams would come up with a game plan that won them game (eg Pagans paddock) then another team would come up with something to stop that and win games and so it would go on, but in our case the governing body stepped in before there was a chance for other teams to come up with a way to stop us or something that worked better.
The other thing is sometimes these styles only work foe a period of time while a team has the players to execute it, it just doesn't last forever, the rules don't need to be changed to stop it.
fool hocking 2.jpg

Amongst other things, the stand rule changed the broadcast sounds of our great game. It's embarrassing..."stand", whistle, "stand", whistle, "stand", whistle, "stand", etc. Yawn. The whole purpose of the rule changes was to limit a team's ability to defend. That is directly from Hocking. It looks terrible and hasn't worked. The game has lost it's flow, dynamism and toughness. Just like the NBA...no defense and feels half hearted.

Geelong are often praised for their ability to stay competitive and "adapt on the run". It's almost like they are always ahead of the curve somehow. I wonder how they do it? Their tea leaf reading ability is second to none. It is a club full of soothsayers. That sure would help with recruitment and planning.

Now Hocking is going around saying the current administrators are changing the rules too much! I haven't heard it but apparently he said that recently?

edit: found it, 6:17 to around 9:40 , https://www.3aw.com.au/geelong-ceo-...he-amount-of-bellyaching-going-on-in-the-afl/

Warning: do not listen to the whole interview or you risk sinking into a coma from extreme boredom and needing medical attention. The hypocrisy will induce nausea.

Best quotes:
  • "i can't believe the amount of things that have been introduced that don't need to be introduced"
  • "i'd just keep putting risk into the game and have it less controlled"
Yes, Steven Hocking said that the Saturday before last.

He used his position as AFL General Manager - Football Operations to further his own agenda and Geelong bias. He even says in the above interview there are "so many stakeholders that you have to stare down and it's ok to say no". Sounds like he was excellent at ignoring dissenters and just pushing his ideas through no matter what. He also says that if "there was a horse running around called Self Interest you would back it every time." Well, you expect that attitude in club-land but unfortunately he did just that while in a role that required much broader consideration and selflessness.

Apparently complaining about the state of the game is "bellyaching" though because "the game's so rich and so healthy".

Last edited:
stand rule changed the sounds of our great game. it's embarrassing. now hocking is going around saying the current administrators are changing the rules too much! i haven't heard it but apparently he said it on a podcast?
that would like paul keating blaming the current prime minister for the death of the australian car industry

surely surely surely 2025 is surely the year the stand rule no longer a stain on our great game

?
Staaaand, staand, stand, outside 5 he then screams cause he doesn't want to pay 50 when the player hasn't stood.

Outside 5 is the umpires get out clause for certain teams and players.

Staaaand, staand, stand, outside 5 he then screams cause he doesn't want to pay 50 when the player hasn't stood.

Outside 5 is the umpires get out clause for certain teams and players.
You’ve noticed that too

You’ve noticed that too
Oh yeah, it just shows what a shit show that rule is but the clowns won't get rid of it, it's worse watching it at grassroots level.

And the play on call is different as well, putrid rule that makes the game look really bad. Only one club had an issue with how we played, scoring is worse now than it was in 2017 and it's going to keep getting worse, only reason the media are wetting themselves about this season is how close it is, well in two weeks time it actually won't be when the gaps on the ladder start to appear.

that would like paul keating blaming the current prime minister for the death of the australian car industry

Do not go there. F'g Liberal and Labor have screwed Australia's economic structure. We are number 78 most complex economy according to the Economic Complexity Index (ECI). We are rich but look like a developing country. Deliberate policy decision. Maybe we don't need to be smart and just dig stuff up and buy ever more expensive houses. But if things go wrong we are stuffed (IMHO)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was one thing that they all complained about how we beat the competition up (state of the game) and then AFL decided to change the rules to stop us winning but what really annoys me now is how copycat teams (Collingwood) got all the media praise about how exciting they made the game.

GAGF

Behind the scenes the AFL change the rules on tackling to **** with the pies

It was one thing that they all complained about how we beat the competition up (state of the game) and then AFL decided to change the rules to stop us winning but what really annoys me now is how copycat teams (Collingwood) got all the media praise about how exciting they made the game.

GAGF

Behind the scenes the AFL change the rules on tackling to **** with the pies
umpires flag

Johnathan Brown last night on the couch confirmed that the stand rule was specifically bought in to stifle Richmond. Confirmed it without any hesitation.

He was talking about the tackling rule bought in to stop the pies from getting repeat stoppages etc.
He has been consistent on this. Popping this here for posterity on this issue:

6/8/2021

Jonathon Brown 2.30 minute mark first quarter: "Damien hardwick spoke about it during the week, probably not happy with the trend of the game in general , maybe because it's not suiting Richmond like they'd like.

Huddo " the stand rule there's a view that it's probably hurt the tigers...brown"

JB: “yeap, I think the stand rule may have been brought in to combat the tigers, might’ve had a fair reason at AFL house I think..."

Remove this Banner Ad

Herald-Sun Article on the AFL introducing the stand rule to stop Richmond (posted here)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back