Here we go, here we go one more time: Kangaroos All Set for Hobart

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
From Charles Happell, on the Back Page Lead

The AFL is believed to have given North Melbourne the go-ahead to play four matches in Hobart from next season, giving the league's pauper club a massive financial fillip.

The news could be announced by Kangaroos chairman James Brayshaw as early as tonight (Thursday).

The development, if confirmed, would give the AFL an eight-match presence in the Apple Isle.

It would also be a huge boon for the perenially hard-up Roos who currently lose money on many poor-drawing home games at Etihad Stadium. If the Tasmania move is given the green light by the AFL, the club could expect to make a healthy sum from each of its Hobart appearances.

While Richmond was also bidding for the chance to play two of its home games in Hobart - and Tigers chief executive Brendon Gale is Tasmanian and on the board of AFL Tasmania - it is understood the AFL favoured the Roos' bid because it gave the club the hope of some financial relief.

The AFL felt Richmond, with its large supporter base, could stand on its own two feet in Melbourne and the Hobart move would be of far greater benefit to a smaller club.

Any Hobart matches would be played at Bellerive, home of Cricket Tasmania and venue for the state's Test cricket matches. While the ground can only accommodate about 17,000 spectators, Cricket Tasmania has said there were plans to lift that capacity to about 20,000, the same as Launceston's Aurora Stadium.

Cricket Tasmania said that Bellerive would provide a low-cost stadium for modest crowds.

Hawthorn plays at Aurora Stadium in the north of the state four times a season in a lucrative deal with the Tasmanian government.

[youtube]OXGOwTESvnY[/youtube]

This will make or break us.

Why do I feel like a went to party for the last few years and now I've woken up wearing no underpants and with a 'Great times babe, call me, James' written on my bedroom mirror in lipstick?

Home Away from Home in Sydney = Fail
Home Away from Home in Canberra = Fail
Home Away from Home on the Gold Coast = Fail.

Now Hobart.

In all seriousness....

If this fails there is always Darwin :thumbsu:

As opposed to being a springboard for a move. This has the potential to secure our Melbourne future! A deal half a good as Hawthorn's pays our debt and sets us up, permanently!

Can't say it's a surprise...
Sounds like we get 2.5-3 mill per year, essentially Fed Govt money via the TCA.
The AFL doesn't appear to want a full-time team in Tassie and we're in a new facility in Melb, so relocation is clearly not on the agenda...although I understand our history makes people very sensitive to this.
I think we need to back JB and Eugene to do the rightie, then we need to make a success of it and use the breathing space to fortify our position, especially through working on solid membership increases.

I suppose it's good that we'll be making a bit of money if we do choose to play 4 matches in Hobart. But I go to every Melbourne match, it'll mean 4 less matches I'll be watching, so that sucks. I suppose the question is, will this be a temporary thing until we fix the stadium deals? I actually thought we achieved this but obviously not enough. What will happen with the Ballarat partnership? Will that just be limited to pre-season matches? The issue is what other people will think of us. I have no doubt we want to stay in Melbourne, but it's kind of hypocritical to start playing home matches interstate.

Home Away from Home in Sydney = Fail
Home Away from Home in Canberra = Fail
Home Away from Home on the Gold Coast = Fail.

Now Hobart.

In all seriousness....

You raise a fair point me ole Fish, and we will cop some flak again, but on a positive note I believe the current board is far less inclined to view it as a stepping stone to something more sinister than its predecessor, which was complicit in trying to shift the club north.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not that expensive to go to Hobart. I go to every game in Melbourne and get to at least one interstate, so I'll have to save my pennies for Hobart trips!

Brilliant.

We will be debt free inside 3 years.

This is a great day for the club.

mission-accomplished.png

Yes, understandable! But you will get to see a club that isn't bashed from pillar to post over small attendances in Melbourne, and that is secure for the future.

I trust our current administration. JB didn't fight the good fight to sell out this soon!

They're taking talk back on SEN now.

How long before 3 or 4 flogs ring in and attempt to blackmail the club by threatening not to renew their membership?

I give it 10 minutes tops.

So if we play 4 Home games per year in Tas, and we get our usual 5 or 6 interstate away games (more in years to come with the new teams) and the annual trip down to Geelong, what does that leave for games in Melbourne... 10 or 11 games per year! Port and the Crows play 12 games in Adelaide every year.

How this is going to increase our supporter base in our HOME state.

I suppose it's good that we'll be making a bit of money if we do choose to play 4 matches in Hobart. But I go to every Melbourne match, it'll mean 4 less matches I'll be watching, so that sucks. I suppose the question is, will this be a temporary thing until we fix the stadium deals? I actually thought we achieved this but obviously not enough. What will happen with the Ballarat partnership? Will that just be limited to pre-season matches? The issue is what other people will think of us. I have no doubt we want to stay in Melbourne, but it's kind of hypocritical to start playing home matches interstate.

Not sure about that part although we will have to wait for details, but the Hawks play 15 of 22 in Melbourne along with their 4 Launceston games.
i don't think we have a huge choice on this. I am happy to support it where I wasn't prepared to support a GC move

Remove this Banner Ad

Here we go, here we go one more time: Kangaroos All Set for Hobart

Remove this Banner Ad

Back