Here's a question for you Hawthorn greatest team of all backers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hard to quantify, but when one team plays on one ground 15 times a year and the other about three, it's an advantage.

Improving access to the mcg for all teams should be an afl priority imo.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Take a few years of pain for this to work .. Most interstate clubs will get pumped at the MCG and never make the finals.

Also, most interstate clubs don't draw crowds at the MCG ... Thus why we play games in Tassie, to avoid losing money at the MCG. It is comical to think Pies, Tiges, Hawks, etc should lose money playing games at the MCG - so interstate clubs can gain experience, that will never happen.

Being frank, it has more to do with turning up on grand final day and not choking .. see 2012, 2014 & 2015 GF's as proof.

Clubs always seem to find excuses for Grand Final loss' ... 95% of the time, it has more to do with their own performance than the ground it's played on

I haven't read a single post in this thread, so apologies if I repeat earlier comments.

One can only respect Hawthorn's achievements of 3 flags in a row, however, they've been KOTD by a perfect storm of favourable scenarios.

In all 3 they've had a tremendous home ground advantage. This advantage wouldn't exist against other Victorian teams, even Etihad teams, but it does exist against interstate teams, especially as they often play just one or two games a year at the 'G. Fancy playing interstate teams at your home ground in a GF three years in a row.

The expansion teams. Hawthorn peaked at the perfect time, as other established clubs had to trawl through severely compromised drafts 3 years running. And yes, Hawthorn were virtually locked out of the draft too, but, as stated, their list had peaked at the perfect time.

Free agency. What a time for free agency and the Hawthorn football club. Already in the upper echelons of the ladder, as a destination club Hawthorn have been able to top up at just the right time. They're a superbly run club, so I'm far from being critical, but it's another avenue for a top team to remain a top team. FA has been perfect for Hawthorn.

Injuries. I can't recall my lowly side ever having their best 22 out on the ground in any round ever. It just never happens. Hawthorn had their best 22 on GF day versus the Eagles. Great player management, etc., but also incredible 'luck'.

Great team Hawthorn, but they've been KOTD more than any side I can remember.

Can BF please hurry up and decide. Im just not sure how I should be rating all our flags.
Well according to interstate supporters you had probably hand back your last 3 premierships because you had an unfair advantage at the MCG. I mean, really, can you expect to seriously see them as legitimate? You played against non Victorian sides at the MCG! That just isn't fair! I mean Sydney and West Coast were so put off by having to travel and play at the MCG that they just couldn't perform when it mattered most. I really think there should be some sort of compensation for them? Maybe they should have got a 5 goal head start? Yeah actually let's give them a 30 point head start next time because having to play at the MCG is so hard.

Does that answer your question? Your flags don't mean anything according to non Victorians who have commented here.

Well according to interstate supporters you had probably hand back your last 3 premierships because you had an unfair advantage at the MCG. I mean, really, can you expect to seriously see them as legitimate? You played against non Victorian sides at the MCG! That just isn't fair! I mean Sydney and West Coast were so put off by having to travel and play at the MCG that they just couldn't perform when it mattered most. I really think there should be some sort of compensation for them? Maybe they should have got a 5 goal head start? Yeah actually let's give them a 30 point head start next time because having to play at the MCG is so hard.

Does that answer your question? Your flags don't mean anything according to non Victorians who have commented here.

Okay, Coasters and Swans can get 30 points. Freo... not so much !

I haven't read a single post in this thread, so apologies if I repeat earlier comments.

One can only respect Hawthorn's achievements of 3 flags in a row, however, they've been KOTD by a perfect storm of favourable scenarios.

In all 3 they've had a tremendous home ground advantage. This advantage wouldn't exist against other Victorian teams, even Etihad teams, but it does exist against interstate teams, especially as they often play just one or two games a year at the 'G. Fancy playing interstate teams at your home ground in a GF three years in a row.

The expansion teams. Hawthorn peaked at the perfect time, as other established clubs had to trawl through severely compromised drafts 3 years running. And yes, Hawthorn were virtually locked out of the draft too, but, as stated, their list had peaked at the perfect time.

Free agency. What a time for free agency and the Hawthorn football club. Already in the upper echelons of the ladder, as a destination club Hawthorn have been able to top up at just the right time. They're a superbly run club, so I'm far from being critical, but it's another avenue for a top team to remain a top team. FA has been perfect for Hawthorn.

Injuries. I can't recall my lowly side ever having their best 22 out on the ground in any round ever. It just never happens. Hawthorn had their best 22 on GF day versus the Eagles. Great player management, etc., but also incredible 'luck'.

What utter nonsense.

Hawthorn's injury list alone in 2014 should have seen it miss the finals. Instead, with the best key forward of this generation heading to their greatest rivals they lifted again and showed their bona-fides as a genuinely great team. The coach is sidelined for weeks in 2014 and a highly rated assistant coach loses a son in a car accident a month before the 2015 finals. KOTD, my arse. What planet are you on?

Hawthorn has won the last three premierships because it is the best team. It isn't luck, it isn't home-groud advantge, it is because purely and simply the Hawks are the best team and best run sporting organisation in the country, across any code.

And I will tell you what else, the sooner that other clubs acknowledge this and try to replicate and better what the Hawks do, instead of making excuses the better off they will be.

Most of your post is bullshit, so I'll just pick out the most bullshit part for correction.

FA has been shocking for Hawthorn. We've received two players via FA. Frawley and Simpkin (who had been delisted by Geelong). We've lost many more, including Franklin.

What utter nonsense.

Hawthorn's injury list alone in 2014 should have seen it miss the finals. Instead, with the best key forward of this generation heading to their greatest rivals they lifted again and showed their bona-fides as a genuinely great team. The coach is sidelined for weeks in 2014 and a highly rated assistant coach loses a son in a car accident a month before the 2015 finals. KOTD, my arse. What planet are you on?

Hawthorn has won the last three premierships because it is the best team. It isn't luck, it isn't home-groud advantge, it is because purely and simply the Hawks are the best team and best run sporting organisation in the country, across any code.

And I will tell you what else, the sooner that other clubs acknowledge this and try to replicate and better what the Hawks do, instead of making excuses the better off they will be.
Well said.

I knew that Sydney fluked it in 2012 and yet whenever a hawk poster said this they were shot down as being bad sports.

Posts that Sydney fluked it are vindicated

Sort of like 11 of Melbourne's 12 flags?

Point 1 - MCG advantage....
1900 - Melbourne (3 games at EMCG) def Fitzroy (3 games at EMCG)
1926 - Melbourne (12 games at MCG) def Collingwood (3 games at MCG)
1939 - Melbourne (11 games at MCG) def Collingwood (4 games at MCG)
1940 - Melbourne (12 games at MCG) def Richmond (3 games at MCG)
1941 - Melbourne (11 games at MCG) def Essendon (4 games at MCG)

1946 - Essendon (3 games at MCG) def Melbourne (5 games at MCG)
1948 - Melbourne (14 games at MCG) def Essendon (3 games at MCG)
1954 - Footscray (2 games at MCG) def Melbourne (12 games at MCG)
1955 - Melbourne (11 games at MCG) def Collingwood (3 games at MCG)
1956 - Melbourne (10 games at MCG) def Collingwood (4 games at MCG)
1957 - Melbourne (12 games at MCG) def Essendon (3 games at MCG)

1958 - Collingwood (4 games at MCG) def Melbourne (11 games at MCG)
1959 - Melbourne (11 games at MCG) def Essendon (4 games at MCG)
1960 - Melbourne (11 games at MCG) def Collingwood (4 games at MCG)
1964 - Melbourne (11 games at MCG) def Collingwood (4 games at MCG)

1988 - Hawthorn (4 games at MCG) def Melbourne (14 games at MCG)
2000 - Essendon (12 games at MCG) def Melbourne (13 games at MCG)

Melbourne is 1-2 in 'neutral GF's...

Melbourne has been an MCG tenant since 1897, unsurprisingly they have the best win/loss record of all VFL/AFL teams (12-1-5)

Hawthorn has been an MCG tenant since 2000 and has an equally impressive record (4-1)...
2008 - Hawthorn (13 games at MCG) def Geelong (7 games at MCG)

2012 - Sydney (2 games at MCG) def Hawthorn (16 games at MCG)
2013 - Hawthorn (12 games at MCG) def Fremantle (2 games at MCG)
2014 - Hawthorn (14 games at MCG) def Sydney (4 games at MCG)
2015 - Hawthorn (11 games at MCG) def West Coast (2 games at MCG)

Richmond, Collingwood, Essendon and North Melbourne also have positive GF win/loss records at the MCG...

Richmond (1965 - onwards (5-2))
1967 - Richmond (11 games at MCG) def Geelong (5 games at MCG)
1969 - Richmond (14 games at MCG) def Carlton (4 games at MCG)

1972 - Carlton (5 games at MCG) def Richmond (14 games at MCG)
1973 - Richmond (14 games at MCG) def Carlton (4 games at MCG)
1974 - Richmond (11 games at MCG) def North Melbourne (4 games at MCG)
1980 - Richmond (11 fames at MCG) def Collingwood (5 games at MCG)

1982 - Carlton (3 games at MCG) def Richmond (11 games at MCG)

Collingwood (1998 - onwards (1-1-3))
2002 - Brisbane (2 games at MCG) def Collingwood (16 games at MCG)
2003 - Brisbane (3 games at MCG) def Collingwood (14 games at MCG)
2010 - Collingwood (18 games at MCG) def St Kilda (6 games at MCG)
2011 - Geelong (9 games at MCG) def Collingwood (17 games at MCG)

North Melbourne (1985-1999 (2-1))
1996 - North Melbourne (17 games at MCG) def Sydney (3 games at MCG)

1998 - Adelaide (5 games at MCG) def North Melbourne (15 games at MCG)
1999 - North Melbourne (16 games at MCG) def Carlton (12 games at MCG)

Essendon (1992-2000, (2-0))
1993 - Essendon (17 games at MCG) def Carlton (9 games at MCG)

MCG tenants have a 25/1/12 record in Grand Finals at the MCG...which isn't surprising given the home ground advantage has existed for nearly 120 years...

Point 2 and 3 - Weakened competition due to talent drain...

All great VFL/AFL eras have coincided with talent drains, either due to expansion or the war...

Carlton 1906-1909 (Richmond, University entered the league in 1908, diluting the talent)
Collingwood 1925-1936 (Hawthorn, North Melbourne and Footscray entered the league in 1925, all three didn't make the final 4 until 1943)
Melbourne 1939-1941 (WWII talent drain)
Essendon 1946-1951 (Post WWII talent drain)
Melbourne 1954-1964 (pre 1967 metropolitan zones, the quintessential cheque book flags...Melbourne (6 flags), Collingwood and Essendon dominated)
Hawthorn 1971-1991 (post introduction of 1967 metropolitan zones, VFL clubs started to recruit WAFL and then SANFL star players...VFL introduce the draft and salary cap in 1986, Hawthorn (8 flags), Carlton (7 flags) and Richmond (5 flags) dominated)
Brisbane Lions 2001-2004 (generous merger concessions, introduction of the Living Away from Home Allowance)
Hawthorn 2008-2015 (GWS and Gold Coast both joined the league in 2011/12, AFL introduced free agency, the luxury tax and changed the fixture requirements)

Well perhaps you should do some reading of previous posts as you have absolutely no clue what your talking about.
Hawks have been absolutely r*ped by free agency and still dominated.
Lost to Free Agency

Franklin
Suckling
Murphy
Ellis
Young

Gained
James Frawley with Melbourne be well compensated pick 3

Melbourne has been an MCG tenant since 1897, unsurprisingly they have the best win/loss record of all VFL/AFL teams (12-1-5)

Hawthorn has been an MCG tenant since 2000 and has an equally impressive record (4-1)...

Richmond, Collingwood, Essendon and North Melbourne also have positive GF win/loss records at the MCG...

MCG tenants have a 25/1/12 record in Grand Finals at the MCG...which isn't surprising given the home ground advantage has existed for nearly 120 years...

All great VFL/AFL eras have coincided with talent drains, either due to expansion or the war...

Carlton 1906-1909 (Richmond, University entered the league in 1908, diluting the talent)
Collingwood 1925-1936 (Hawthorn, North Melbourne and Footscray entered the league in 1925, all three didn't make the final 4 until 1943)
Melbourne 1954-1964 (pre 1967 metropolitan zones, the quintessential cheque book flags...Melbourne (6 flags), Collingwood and Essendon dominated)
Hawthorn 1971-1991 (post introduction of 1967 metropolitan zones, VFL clubs started to recruit WAFL and then SANFL star players...VFL introduce the draft and salary cap in 1986, Hawthorn (8 flags), Carlton (7 flags) and Richmond (5 flags) dominated)
Brisbane Lions 2001-2004 (generous merger concessions, introduction of the Living Away from Home Allowance)
Hawthorn 2008-2015 (GWS and Gold Coast both joined the league in 2011/12, AFL introduced free agency, the luxury tax and changed the fixture requirements)

And don't forget for the Cats fans; Geelong played at the MCG 7 times in 2009 (during the regular season), many of which were blockbuster games. St Kilda played at the MCG once (again, during the regular season), against the wooden spooner in the last round. St Kilda finshed top that year yet Geelong got to play the game on their second "home" ground and just fell in.

The fact is that some bitter morons will find any way that they can to diminish the acievements of others. Most of the time these arguments are baseless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course, although the 'G has always been considered a relatively neutral venue when you're playing other Victorian clubs.

Well perhaps you should do some reading of previous posts as you have absolutely no clue what your talking about.
Hawks have been absolutely r*ped by free agency and still dominated.
Lost to Free Agency

Franklin
Suckling
Murphy
Ellis
Young

Gained
James Frawley with Melbourne be well compensated pick 3

FA or destination club.

It's a fantastically well run club, so who can blame Gunston, Lake, Hale, etc. choosing Hawthorn.

But clearly there's an inequality to the days when Brisbane were winning flags.

Anyway, don't get your knickers in a not. You'd still be smelling the roses.

I knew that Sydney fluked it in 2012 and yet whenever a hawk poster said this they were shot down as being bad sports.

Posts that Sydney fluked it are vindicated
Well we didn't have a forward line and played at the Hawks home ground so it was unusual. Fluke may be overstating it.

Would be nice to move the granny around so everyone gets a fair shot. It is a national game after all.

You'd need a best 22 you flog,

In 2014 alone Sewell (never got back), Gibson, Mitchell, Lake, Rioli all missed huge chunks plus the coach. Yeah we've been able to get everyone on the park in September but you still have to win games during the year to to get there.

Well we didn't have a forward line and played at the Hawks home ground so it was unusual. Fluke may be overstating it.

Would be nice to move the granny around so everyone gets a fair shot. It is a national game after all.

It's called a national league but Victorian teams allow you to play in it. While sydney can't fill SCG for a final I doubt they'll play a grand final there ever.

You'd need a best 22 you flog,

In 2014 alone Sewell (never got back), Gibson, Mitchell, Lake, Rioli all missed huge chunks plus the coach. Yeah we've been able to get everyone on the park in September but you still have to win games during the year to to get there.

Piss off lightweight. It's no personal glory to support Hawthorn. Anyone can support whomever they like.

Btw, every club has a best 22, no matter how good or bad, you blithering burbler.

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's a question for you Hawthorn greatest team of all backers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back