Hird To Present Norm Smith Medal at 2017 Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

This should be no surprise to anyone. The AFL did everything to break the chain of justice & get them off.

Thankfully, against all olds WADA hung on the thread of rope & some sought of justice was achieved.

They were certified guilty. They took no responsibility, there was no apology. Their fanatical stood by the guilty. They were never brave.

Booing or no booing, presentation or no presentation who gives a shit. What matters a worthy respected player receives the Norm Smith.

No repentance = no respect. When you have no respect you have nothing. Deep down they feel & know this.

I think this is my favourite

I think its fair to say when you've become depressed to the point of being suicidal you've done your penance and to offer a gesture of acceptance back into what was his world for most of his adult life is a nice act of compassion.

There's such a thing as "too soon". They're going to inflict him on the public when he's not even welcome back at the club.

Actually gents I feel we are all going about this the wrong way...

Who in their wildest dreams would have ever thought that Essendon would forever have its name tarnished as drug cheats? All thanks to their Golden Boy (tm) Hird. You couldn't make that up.

Really, the man has given us so many lols over the journey and for that I think he should be applauded.
Hahahaha

If we want to start bringing him back in to the fold, there are better ways.

It's one thing to forgive him, but they've rushed past mere forgiving, and gone straight to honouring him.

Way too early to be making such an obvious public demonstration of how much they want us to forget everything that happened...

GAGF... a "legend" who will forever be associated with a drug cheating culture at Essendon.

I don't mind that the AFL is willing to put the past behind and move forward, however the majority of the footy public may not be so forgiving.. can you imagine 100,000 people booing him when he gets on stage, not a great look.

For the people who have Tourette's booing ?

It's one thing to forgive him, but they've rushed past mere forgiving, and gone straight to honouring him.

Way too early to be making such a public callow demonstration of how much they want us to forget everything that happened...

The what now?

Dude, I want you to remember - over, and over and over again.

Multiple members, you saucy minx.

There's such a thing as "too soon". They're going to inflict him on the public when he's not even welcome back at the club.

Yet another glaring example of the disregard the AFL has for the football public, and their disrespect for the game. Great spectacle as he steps on the stage with a majority of the crowd booing him. Well done AFL, you've screwed up again.

Quote from 'Jobe Watson'

"That was a long time ago now. I'm sure Hird has learned from his mistakes and has grown as a human being. It would be so very brave of him to accept this offer and put himself back into the public on such a big stage",

Where are the signs he has learned from this and grown as a human being? All he did was blame everyone else and play the victim. He needs to stay away from the AFL. The invite is ridiculous from a clueless organisation out of touch with supporters. They think we have all bought into the 'everyone wants essendon to succeed' rubbish. No. We don't. They cheated. They were
Nt sorry. They never will be. They blame everyone else. Hird is the worst of them. They can all just......

go play rugby league. Just get Hird out of our lives please.

We need to protest long and loud over this.derailedWho could be happy about a man who ruined the lives of a bunch of young men and their families, a club and put many of us off footy for a few years. We are only just getting over the saga and now the AFL see fit to bring back the 'golden destroyer'? Only CULT FC folllowers and the AFL seem to be clueless about how so many supporters (and players) from other clubs feel about Hird and the cheating club that never did say sorry and truly mean it.
'

You should have been happy..however go to the top of the class princess

Way too early to be making such an obvious public demonstration of how much they want us to forget everything that happened...
Never too early to honour a champion that delivered on the big stage, but also a chance to see a repentant son being brought back into the football family. It will be a truly 'good for football' moment. I am thinking I may get a ticket this year irrespective of who's playing just so I will be able to tell the future grand kids that I was there.

Last edited:
Not sure if the AFL have fully thought this through.
80,000 - 100,000 folks who have been on the drink all day with the focal point of one of the biggest scandals the game has seen.

The boos could be setting off Richter scales for miles around.
The above is the first thing I thought of.
Stupid stupid idea.
What message does it send?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hird's actually in an invidious position here (of his own doing). As a sequence, he's next in line to present the norm smith. We can all agree that this is not his fault.
The thing is if he declines the offer it will be seen as an admission of guilt, something he's steadfastly refused to entertain during this ridiculously lengthy saga.
It is lose lose for jimmy either way

Yet another glaring example of the disregard the AFL has for the football public, and their disrespect for the game. Great spectacle as he steps on the stage with a majority of the crowd booing him. Well done AFL, you've screwed up again.

You wonder how long they'll wait before giving the Brownlow back to Watson.

The true disgraces are the people in this thread who are comparing Hird's mistakes to the actions of Rolf Harris, Chris Beniot and Lance Armstrong.

A brave man returning from a serious mental health battle is offered the rightful opportunity to present a medal and people want to compare him to child rapists and murderers. It could send a great message to everyone suffering from mental illnesses that there is light at the end of the tunnel and you can regain your place in life, and instead people want to take this opportunity to publicly abuse a family man and sporting hero. Disgusting.

He's no Chris Benoit, but he's not too far off Lance Armstrong.

Hird's actually in an invidious position here (of his own doing). As a sequence, he's next in line to present the norm smith. We can all agree that this is not his fault.
The thing is if he declines the offer it will be seen as an admission of guilt, something he's steadfastly refused to entertain during this ridiculously lengthy saga.
It is lose lose for jimmy either way
Lol no it's not

The posting on this thread is ****ing disgusting. Here is a guy who has genuinely ****ed up, his whole reputation is destroyed and he is now given the opportunity to put it behind him and hopefully end a nasty chapter on a positive note.

You can't believe the dickheads laying the boots in.

You people are ****ing sick.

Yep having a stroke. Thankfully managed to get this reply out.

You have no idea how much entertainment your club has given us. You couldn't script it. They wouldn't believe it.

The gift that keeps on giving.

Soooo.... your not that upset by it all ??Least we have given yourself some footy joy until now,,,you look pretty good now

The posting on this thread is ******* disgusting. Here is a guy who has genuinely ****** up, his whole reputation is destroyed and he is now given the opportunity to put it behind him and hopefully end a nasty chapter on a positive note.
The positive note can start the minute we can some truth and repentence, not spin and bullshit.

As soon as we get that, I'm happy to begin the process...this applies equally to Wayne Carey, Gary Ablett...anyone.

Everyone ****s up sometimes...not everyone makes everybody else pay for it for 4 years.

Hird is a disgrace, as are Essendon. Subjecting their list to experimental PEDs is disgusting and unforgivable, Hird was banned by the AFL itself for his actions and omissions, for him to award the second most prestigious award in the game on grand final day is a travesty.

And fwiw the mental health argument can only excuse so much. Too many people on the lower rungs of society and in Australias prisons cope with serious mental illness on a day-to-day basis - the option to plead mental illness as an excuse for missing work or in court rarely successful for such people. Hird can play that card and get applauded and a free pass for 'bravery', it is disgraceful and he is the architect of his own misfortune and should face the consequences like everyone else

Remove this Banner Ad

Hird To Present Norm Smith Medal at 2017 Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back