Hogan worth

Remove this Banner Ad

How do you come to that conclusion? A player says he is open to a trade to a club that has been circling for 5 years. In preparation we get a trade ready with another club that would bring in another player. Going to the draft when you're firmly in the premiership window is pointless. We were simply preparing for what to do with the pick Freo seemed so desperate to give up for Hogan.

You guys stuffed up. Admit it. Good luck with Lobb and Manbun, though.

Oh spare the platitudes that Melbourne were preparing to do with what Freo "were so desperate to give up for Hogan". Guess what, we aren't that desperate after all. If that upsets your and your clubs precious sensibilities, well too bad. Go off and be happy you've got a fwd worth two top 10 picks on your list who sort of wants to be there. You've not gained or lost anything, so why the angst?

With that, nobody stuffed up. Or, if we did, only as much as Melbourne did because neither moved forward in a direction of note. What a dickhead thing to say, especially on an oppo board.

Last edited:
I feel like there's very little hope of us retaining Neale - we need players who actually want to be with us
Personally I get the feeling that Lachie doesn't really want to go that badly, rather he wants things at Freo to change management-wise and for no more Geelong-like thrashings to occur (I've no inside knowledge... just a vague hunch he's unhappy with the club's current direction given his previous loyalty). The fact Belly is backing himself to keep Lachie around suggests that he may be telling Lachie that serious changes at the club are just around the corner.

We have enough coin to keep Lachie and I don't think Lachie going is about chasing a flag either... I reckon Lachie is only entertaining the shift because he's unhappy with the management.

Nothing was offered lol it was Freo insiders leaking to news outlets that he toured Freo. Before that he was guaranteed to be at Freo in 2019.

You guys lost out on Hogan. We lost out on May but keep Hogan. It was win win for us. What's your alternative? Lose Neale and gain Lobb lol

Have you nothing better to do on a Friday night? Lol

Nothing was offered lol it was Freo insiders leaking to news outlets that he toured Freo. Before that he was guaranteed to be at Freo in 2019.

You guys lost out on Hogan. We lost out on May but keep Hogan. It was win win for us. What's your alternative? Lose Neale and gain Lobb lol

How exactly do you, in your words, "get a trade ready" but not in fact offer anything?

You guys stuffed up. Admit it. Good luck with Lobb and Manbun, though.

I came to that conclusion because you're open to trading him, you have other options who did well in his absence and because if he goes you can then facilitate the trade for May. That's why. You’re not desperate to keep him, it’s about getting max value for an asset from a team you perceive to be exploitable.

and was this last part really necessary? Don’t be a dick

You guys lost out on Hogan. We lost out on May but keep Hogan. It was win win for us. What's your alternative? Lose Neale and gain Lobb lol[/QUOTE

Next year hogan walks out as a free agent, melb only gets 1 compo pick ! Freo don’t have to part with any picks and deal done. Melb have the whip this year but know your player walks out the next

Im not unhappy we didn't get him. Would have loved him but part of me thinks he wouldn't fit into our game plan and would be wasted playing the way we have been under Ross. Something about Hogan has had me with an uneasy feeling, even though my head was saying it was a very good idea.

Is there more at play here? I find it curious Freo didn't at least table an offer if they wanted him and try and get dees to move. To just walk away makes it hard for both parties to come back. Did you find something in "due diligence" and perhaps not just want to say it?

Is there more at play here? I find it curious Freo didn't at least table an offer if they wanted him and try and get dees to move. To just walk away makes it hard for both parties to come back. Did you find something in "due diligence" and perhaps not just want to say it?
There is some speculation in one of our other trade threads.

Of course, speculation could be totally wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apologies for the intrusion, it's a smart play by Bell. Hogan may have came up a bit suspect in the medical so why not leave him another year at Melbourne and see how his foot goes. Trade for him next year when he is out of contract

Wowza if this bit from the afl site is true

‘Melbourne put Fremantle offside when it opened the Hogan discussions by demanding picks No.5 (via Brisbane) and No.6.

However, it's understood the Demons subsequently retreated from that ambit claim and would have accepted pick No.6 and a second-round selection for Hogan.’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wowza if this bit from the afl site is true

‘Melbourne put Fremantle offside when it opened the Hogan discussions by demanding picks No.5 (via Brisbane) and No.6.

However, it's understood the Demons subsequently retreated from that ambit claim and would have accepted pick No.6 and a second-round selection for Hogan.’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Except the article is full of "it is believed" and "it has been purported" blah blah blah. It's like Haggers wrote it.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

As we know, Lachie is the leading possession-winner in the AFL over the last five years. This is where Jesse ranks in goalkicking over the past four years:

JJK: 274
Buddy: 258
Bruno: 226
Betts: 222
Hawkins: 212
Cameron: 207
Jenkins: 199
BBB: 197
Roughead: 197
Bruest: 186
Tex: 186
Gunston: 178
Tom Lynch: 173
Stringer: 152
Hogan: 152
Daniher: 150
LeCras: 147
Dixon: 146
Wingard: 137
Bruce: 128
Membrey: 125
Waite: 125
Sonny: 124
The other Tom Lynch: 121

In other words, his output has been somewhere in the range of Jake Stringer, Mark LeCras and Charlie Dixon. Yet Melbourne carries on as if he's this irreplaceable (yet perversely tradeable) freakish once-in-a-generation talent - he's averaged six goals a year more than Josh bloody Bruce. Shouldn't budge on pick 5 unless it's only pick 5, and even then...

Okay now how many of these are under 23, have lost their dad, battled cancer, have his contested marking ability, his strength and endurance at his height, got flogged the first 2 seasons and spent majority of the past one at wing/ruck ? How many of those are from Perth and want to be traded to the dockers, a team that's been crying out for a talented key forward.

Right now it's a game of chicken to see who will swerve first, it's good to not just buckle at their demands but you also gotta make sure you're not ignorant towards it. I think like most years we'll see a deal done near the deadline, if not see if he can return from injury, grab king if available and use king as a possible chip if needed to get Hogan next season. Also I don't get why people mention no other clubs offering picks for him, it's widely known Hogan only wants to leave The Dee's for the Dockers.p

Last edited:
Why do we have to win back credibility? We don't have come out and say diddly squat - people don't know the ins and outs of it all, so any judgements of the situation are speculative.

Hogan is contracted to Melbourne by his choice. Hogan has not screamed he wants to come here, we have little obligation to him and even less to Melbourne (e.g. if the May deal depends on Hogan being ditched) and absolutely none to those nuffies who think we've lost credibility in this process.

Seems like is supporters Port clubs should be worried about having some credibility to lose. Think you did us over in draft swaps if that's anything

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

So freo offered pick 11 and 2019 second and were laughed out of town. Melbourne apparently would have taken pick 6 and 2019 second or a top 10 pick and 2019 second. That is 5 picks lower, or 1 pick lower than they would like. Surely we could have done an exchange of third round picks or similar to make up the small difference.

If Melbourne won’t budge from 2 x top 10 picks then that is too much.

I still feel like freo has gone from being desperate and paying nothing to now being a bit unreasonable. They did well with Weller, brad hill and Wilson and now think it is the norm every time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back