Hogan worth

Remove this Banner Ad

If we are doing an actual culture shift, then it is (a) - there is no other option.

If our "culture shift" is just lip service then we use it as leverage and (b).

I suspect I missed something here, what is it with Hogan that would impact a 'culture shift'? ... genuine question.

Personally I get the feeling that Lachie doesn't really want to go that badly, rather he wants things at Freo to change management-wise and for no more Geelong-like thrashings to occur (I've no inside knowledge... just a vague hunch he's unhappy with the club's current direction given his previous loyalty). The fact Belly is backing himself to keep Lachie around suggests that he may be telling Lachie that serious changes at the club are just around the corner.

We have enough coin to keep Lachie and I don't think Lachie going is about chasing a flag either... I reckon Lachie is only entertaining the shift because he's unhappy with the management.

People (including players) have to be realistic though. We smashed Carlton, as bad ad we are, but Cripps isn't bolting back to Perth (wish he would). We are supposed to be enduring a rebuild so a lot of 2018 was experimental (as frustrating as it was) with a lot of young people playing in weird positions. He was supposed to be part of the journey and the 'rebuild', but it just feels like we continue to go backwards.

Apologies for the intrusion, it's a smart play by Bell. Hogan may have came up a bit suspect in the medical so why not leave him another year at Melbourne and see how his foot goes. Trade for him next year when he is out of contract

I wasn't concerned until Melbourne said today that he would 'continue his therapy' and be back with them next year. I guess that doesn't mean he is as 100% recovered from his injury, which could be causing some doubt.

The anti-Freo reporting just keeps marching on.

I'm not seeing anybody stating the bleeding obvious that Neale won Freo's best and fairest ... meanwhile Hogan wasn't even in Melbourne's top 10.
Neale is out shopping for his best possible future and doing what most modern professional AFL players do come contract renewal time ... meanwhile Hogan is under an injury and fitness cloud and wanting to return to his home state.

Yet the general consensus being painted is that Freo are idiots for not letting Neale go and getting whatever we can for him ... meanwhile Freo should pay nothing short of 2 first round picks for Hogan.

At the end of the day, I'm sure neither Neale or Hogan give a stuff what Freo or Melbourne have to give up in trades and draft picks to make any deals ... they mainly care what their contracts are going to be. All this talk about Neale being unhappy with Freo is BS and right now this very minute, Neale is far more likely to be playing for Freo in 2020 than Hogan will be playing for Melbourne in 2020. If Neale is playing for Brisbane or Hogan playing for Freo, they will both be on bigger money than they would have been if they stayed at their clubs.

That is, this simply comes down to whether Freo can offer Neale enough money to stay at Freo, enough money for Hogan to play at Freo and get/receive enough for each trade to go ahead. All this other talk is just noise and sadly, painting Freo out as a basket case football club, still sells in the eyes of the AFL media.

Last edited:
Apologies for the intrusion, it's a smart play by Bell. Hogan may have came up a bit suspect in the medical so why not leave him another year at Melbourne and see how his foot goes. Trade for him next year when he is out of contract
As much as I dislike a lot of WCE contributors on BF, it is refreshing to have one of you provide some well mannered and constructive input.

I'm not seeing anybody stating the bleeding obvious that Neale won Freo's best and fairest ... meanwhile Hogan wasn't even in Melbourne's top 10.
Neale is out shopping for his best possible future and doing what most modern professional AFL players do come contract renewal time ... meanwhile Hogan is under an injury and fitness cloud and wanting to return to his home state.

Yet the general consensus being painted is that Freo are idiots for not letting Neale go and getting whatever we can for him ... meanwhile Freo should pay nothing short of 2 first round picks for Hogan.

At the end of the day, I'm sure neither Neale or Hogan give a stuff what Freo or Melbourne have to give up in trades and draft picks to make any deals ... they mainly care what their contracts are going to be. All this talk about Neale being unhappy with Freo is BS and right now this very minute, Neale is far more likely to be playing for Freo in 2020 than Hogan will be playing for Melbourne in 2020. If Neale is playing for Brisbane or Hogan playing for Freo, they will both be on bigger money than they would have been if they stayed at their clubs.

That is, this simply comes down to weather Freo can offer Neale enough money to stay at Freo, enough money for Hogan to play at Freo and get/receive enough for each trade to go ahead. All this other talk is just noise and sadly, painting Freo out as a basket case football club, still sells in the eyes of the AFL media.

If Jesse wasn't from WA, it wouldn't even be an issue.
We need a forward (we do) and he is available so it must happen!
If he is worth 2 firsts, where are the other clubs interested? If we are the only buyer, why should we throw the sink at a guy who is out of contract in 12m time?
If we were one player away from a flag tilt, possibly, but we aren't.
There may be an awkward make-up session at Melbourne coming up.
If Melbourne want Steve May, it is not up to us to gift them what they need.

That is, this simply comes down to whether Freo can offer Neale enough money to stay at Freo, enough money for Hogan to play at Freo and get/receive enough for each trade to go ahead. All this other talk is just noise and sadly, painting Freo out as a basket case football club, still sells in the eyes of the AFL media.
I’m not sure that the money is the issue with Neale - he’s leaving regardless so assume he’s not happy about something.
Hogan is worth 2 first round picks but during the due diligence phase, Freo have obviously found something they are not happy with - Langdon is alluding to this apparently.

If Jesse wasn't from WA, it wouldn't even be an issue.
We need a forward (we do) and he is available so it must happen!
If he is worth 2 firsts, where are the other clubs interested? If we are the only buyer, why should we throw the sink at a guy who is out of contract in 12m time?
If we were one player away from a flag tilt, possibly, but we aren't.
There may be an awkward make-up session at Melbourne coming up.
If Melbourne want Steve May, it is not up to us to gift them what they need.
Maybe we should get May

Constructive when it's based upon a "may have "
So a speculative guess which creates balance content amounts to "constructive input" ??

Each to their own

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Constructive as in he’s not using it as another opportunity to put the boot into Fremantle, which makes him unusual for a WCE poster on BF. If he’s respectful, which he has been, I’m willing to listen to his opinion. I’m not sure why this would even interest a Port supporter - is there nothings happening on the Adelaide board? Unlike you he introduced himself politely before invading our space

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally I get the feeling that Lachie doesn't really want to go that badly, rather he wants things at Freo to change management-wise and for no more Geelong-like thrashings to occur (I've no inside knowledge... just a vague hunch he's unhappy with the club's current direction given his previous loyalty). The fact Belly is backing himself to keep Lachie around suggests that he may be telling Lachie that serious changes at the club are just around the corner.

We have enough coin to keep Lachie and I don't think Lachie going is about chasing a flag either... I reckon Lachie is only entertaining the shift because he's unhappy with the management.

Nah. Purely about the dollar.

His potential value has gone right up based on consistent efforts in the last few years, but he is still inked on a contract way below that . I don't know of too many people who are fine in their existing job yet would knock back being headhunted for an extra 15k-20k (unless it's in a bad location or there are known issues with that new workplace etc), he's being offered several hundred grand above his existing contract.

If we resign him, it will be at competition elite rates and for a long contract. But we are already paying for 1 elite midfielder (Fyfe), it could be that our top offer vs Brisbanes top offer (particularly since they are losing Beams and struggled with people wanting to go there) are different enough that it's worth relocating for.

Nah. Purely about the dollar.

His potential value has gone right up based on consistent efforts in the last few years, but he is still inked on a contract way below that . I don't know of too many people who are fine in their existing job yet would knock back being headhunted for an extra 15k-20k (unless it's in a bad location or there are known issues with that new workplace etc), he's being offered several hundred grand above his existing contract.

If we resign him, it will be at competition elite rates and for a long contract. But we are already paying for 1 elite midfielder (Fyfe), it could be that our top offer vs Brisbanes top offer (particularly since they are losing Beams and struggled with people wanting to go there) are different enough that it's worth relocating for.
I think Neale would potentially be on more than Fyfe, or that’s how much it would cost to keep him?

Karl Langdon making some interesting and fairly cryptic comments on twitter tonight. Convinced Freo has made the right decision and is adamant west coast are not and will not be interested in him.

There certainly appears to be more to the foot injury or something else than the Vic mediascum are willing to acknowledge.

I found it interesting our contract offer was $4.5M over 5 for Jesse ($900K p.a.). I thought he would’ve been asking at least $1.1M p.a.

I think Neale would potentially be on more than Fyfe, or that’s how much it would cost to keep him?

I have a memory comprised of loose wires, sorry for the bits here that are wrong ;)

Neales potential salary now is different to what he signed to in contract negotiations several years ago. Fyfe has the more recent contract, a brownlow/captaincy and done after the salary cap was revised upwards. I thought Fyfe was a million(ish). Brisbane are offering that sort of coin to Neale from what I gather. I don't know that we could afford to pay 2 x midfielders a fifth of the entire wages for a 40 man squad, we'll renegotiate his existing contract at a princely sum and no doubt a 5 year deal to keep him here til towards the end of his career - but not sure how that will compare to the kings ransom from Brisbane.

I have a memory comprised of loose wires, sorry for the bits here that are wrong ;)

Neales potential salary now is different to what he signed to in contract negotiations several years ago. Fyfe has the more recent contract, a brownlow/captaincy and done after the salary cap was revised upwards. I thought Fyfe was a million(ish). Brisbane are offering that sort of coin to Neale from what I gather. I don't know that we could afford to pay 2 x midfielders a fifth of the entire wages for a 40 man squad, we'll renegotiate his existing contract at a princely sum and no doubt a 5 year deal to keep him here til towards the end of his career - but not sure how that will compare to the kings ransom from Brisbane.
Because I guess we would have to reconsider what we are paying Fyfe - would be an insult to Fyfe to pay Neale more imho

Because I guess we would have to reconsider what we are paying Fyfe - would be an insult to Fyfe to pay Neale more imho

Devils advocate: Neale has been more durable and the club values his output for the last few years higher - e.g. doig medals are based on our coaches votes.

I would think that we can't/won't match Brisbane, but nonetheless renegotiate Neales existing contract significantly upwards and keep him if he is amenable to the idea. I've got no idea of his existing contract, but thought it was under 600k - if he's being offered several hundred thousand bucks extra per year he would have been mad to just knock it back and not raise the prospect of a raise by his current boss.

Devils advocate: Neale has been more durable and the club values his output for the last few years higher - e.g. doig medals are based on our coaches votes.

I would think that we can't/won't match Brisbane, but nonetheless renegotiate Neales existing contract significantly upwards and keep him if he is amenable to the idea. I've got no idea of his existing contract, but thought it was under 600k - if he's being offered several hundred thousand bucks extra per year he would have been mad to just knock it back and not raise the prospect of a raise by his current boss.
Have heard it’s around the $600 000

Sorry for the intrusion - but I'd say it's a solid move by freo to be a little cautious here. Melbourne have had a bit of a history of foot related issues over the last 5 years, and in particular those related to the navicular, and we have done a piss poor job in rehabilitating players to get back to 100%, Viney was a good example earlier this year. If the medical found he wasn't 100% fit (and at this time he was meant to be) then leaving him at melb for a year to find out how it sits makes perfect sense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hogan worth

Remove this Banner Ad

Back