NO TROLLS Homophobia in the AFL - 4 Corners

Remove this Banner Ad

Privately PM me with these examples and I will publicly acknowledge their existence here.

Sad posts "nah, it totes exists coz everyone sayz it does" isn't enough.
OK. Let me get this straight.

You don't believe people get abused on the internet?

Are you really trying to tell us you believe that it doesn't happen?

Really?

OK. Let me get this straight.

You don't believe people get abused on the internet?

Are you really trying to tell us you believe that it doesn't happen?

Really?
You got nothing (after being proven by one of your own mods to be uninformed at best).

Thanks for the win.

You got nothing (after being proven by one of your own mods to be uninformed at best).

Thanks for the win.
Weirdest exchange I've had in a while.

But that's just a claim. Anyone can make a claim.

I am assuming you are being ironic. So this is something to help,you bolster the claim that racism is endemic in Australia. Be it against Eddie, or any other indigenous player who dares to challenge he status quo.

Does anyone remember the extreme faction of the gay rights movement outing fellow gays based on the claim hiding your sexuality harmed the larger cause? That was a wild period. Some long-time friends still support that view as being critical to where we are now and diverse sexuality being more accepted than it was. Quentin Crisp's 1970s visit seemed to be a pivotal moment exposing many people to the phenomenon. It had both positive and reactionary results, as I recall. He fitted and a reinforced a certain stereotype. Bruce the boxer down at the local club was still mostly unseen.

Professional Footy/Soccer has the inverse relationship to say Professional dancing.

".....Dancers estimated that over half of male dancers are gay, but that only a small minority of female dancers are lesbian....."

One is considered a feminine pursuit and one is considered a masculine one. It really is that simple folks.

Weirdest exchange I've had in a while.
He has said enough that he is now on ignore.
There are times when some fool on the internet says something epically stupid and you can either engage and waste your time or just ignore the troll as all they want is attention.

Professional Footy/Soccer has the inverse relationship to say Professional dancing.

".....Dancers estimated that over half of male dancers are gay, but that only a small minority of female dancers are lesbian....."

One is considered a feminine pursuit and one is considered a masculine one. It really is that simple folks.
I don't think that is a conclusion that can be drawn.

It would seem the reason there are more gay male dancers could be that straight males who want to dance are peer pressured into feeling they can't do it.

But in the case of footballers, there is far less stopping a gay man being a footballer especially if they are not out.

You are projecting your opinion that Gay = Feminine onto this data and drawing a conclusion that can not be supported.

The issue is you don't know the 99% of gay men who are just Men who are gay because in the street they just look like anyone else, not the stereotype you have decided on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think that is a conclusion that can be drawn.

It would seem the reason there are more gay male dancers could be that straight males who want to dance are peer pressured into feeling they can't do it.

But in the case of footballers, there is far less stopping a gay man being a footballer especially if they are not out.

You are projecting your opinion that Gay = Feminine onto this data and drawing a conclusion that can not be supported.

The issue is you don't know the 99% of gay men who are just Men who are gay because in the street they just look like anyone else, not the stereotype you have decided on.
I think it is, in a very broad sense. Look at the amount of female footballers/soccer players who are lesbians. It is dissproportionately high. Like enormously so. There definetely is something in the fact that they pursue "masculine" type activities. Conversly, male dancers are dissproportionately gay, like enormously so. There definetely is something in the fact that they pursue "feminine" type activities. Now are all Gay men feminine? No. Are all Lesbians Masculine? No. But there certainly is a sizeable linkage to masculine activities and the non propensity for Males to be Gay. Are there gay AFL footballers? You'd have to say through the law of averages there must be. Would the percentage of Gay AFL Footballers be the same as the percentage of Gay Professional Dancers? Absolutely Zero chance. I'd probably argue that there would be considerably less Gay AFL footballers than Gay General Male Population. I'm no scientist, but that is my gut feel.

I'd probably argue that there would be considerably less Gay AFL footballers than Gay General Male Population. I'm no scientist, but that is my gut feel.
I mean sure, perhaps there is some truth to this. But I recall a statistic that 90% of players at any age have heard homophobic language used on the field and that a significant number of gay players simply opt out of the league early on because they don't feel safe continuing. So what you see in the AFLW is an environment where all or most LGBTQ+ players can feel safe from an early age, resulting in many out players; and an AFL where the opposite has occurred. And that's the problem.

I think it is, in a very broad sense. Look at the amount of female footballers/soccer players who are lesbians. It is dissproportionately high. Like enormously so. There definetely is something in the fact that they pursue "masculine" type activities. Conversly, male dancers are dissproportionately gay, like enormously so. There definetely is something in the fact that they pursue "feminine" type activities. Now are all Gay men feminine? No. Are all Lesbians Masculine? No. But there certainly is a sizeable linkage to masculine activities and the non propensity for Males to be Gay. Are there gay AFL footballers? You'd have to say through the law of averages there must be. Would the percentage of Gay AFL Footballers be the same as the percentage of Gay Professional Dancers? Absolutely Zero chance. I'd probably argue that there would be considerably less Gay AFL footballers than Gay General Male Population. I'm no scientist, but that is my gut feel.
The problem here is you are taking statistics for one thing LGBT+Women doing a masculine thing. Then LGBT+ Men Doing a feminine thing.

But you are assuming that the opposite is also true in that LGBT+ Men doing a masculine thing is very low.

There is no data for this. You believe this because you believe the stereotypes look at the 1 feminine gay man ignoring the 100 Masculine ones (Who you don't see because they look like you) who could be playing football.

Mike Sheehan (when he did the Sam Newman podcast) hinted that he knew about Dani Laidley in the 90's.
Someone posted about it on the rumours board here years before it came out.

Last edited:
I think it’s more about the environment that is created in these places.. Why do most kids take up a sport? Overwhelmingly it is because one of their friends play.. feminine/gay boys typically have more female friends growing up and so feel far more comfortable and safe in an environment mostly around girls in a Dance class.

I think the key difference between these comparisons and women’s soccer, is that their would be as many ‘straight’ girls that start playing soccer as gay, prob even more however it is clear that at the elite level it’s dominated by lesbian women, is it having more masculine traits that enables them the discipline to succeed in a competitive environment or is it the culture at the top that turns these women gay, I would say it’s the former but strong arguments can be made either way.

Stereotypes are part of the reason that we find ourselves here now. When I came out nearly thirty years ago a lot of gay men considered most footballers little more than savages, and most footy players thought us a bunch of limp wristed Nancy boys, obviously we were all (mostly) wrong. Losing these sort of ideas is a huge step in the right direction for everyone.

Mike Sheehan (when he did the Sam Newman podcast) hinted that he knew about Dani Laidley in the 90's.
Supposedly all the North boys knew he (at the time) crossdressed

Remove this Banner Ad

NO TROLLS Homophobia in the AFL - 4 Corners

Remove this Banner Ad

Back