Mega Thread Hot Topic - Drugs and AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe we give Redden another crack?
truhird.gif
Trust me

It usually does, which would mean Ryder would have a lot of catching up to do in 2017 :(
Well not officially. I'm sure Burgo and Mladen will hand them detailed programs to follow and on 'their own time' there's nothing stopping teammates training with them. A few different each week to keep them connected with the team.

I'm conflicted. I want to win a premiership but do you really want to win the one that is now irreversibly diluted? The 2016 flag is now the year Essendon got their entire team suspended flag therefore not a real flag.

Edit: not conflicted, more concerned that a premiership now wouldn't be viewed with the same lustre.
errr...I'll take the flag!

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/re...t/news-story/206f444863fbb772741002d0c02888f9
ESSENDON legend Matthew Lloyd says he feels “sick to his stomach” after the Court of Arbitration for Sport found 34 past and present Bombers players guilty of committing an anti-doping violation.
The 2000 premiership player also told Channel 9 the verdict was a nightmare for all involved. “That is the club’s and the AFL’s worst nightmare,” he said.

It was a statement echoed by sports lawyer Justin Quill, who suggested on ABC Breakfast that the verdict “will probably end careers”.
More ...
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/re...t/news-story/206f444863fbb772741002d0c02888f9

Interesting Video there

Ryder and monfries confirmed as players suspended til November. Kochie confirmed on sunrise. 12 from Essendon 5 from other clubs including our 2.

Sneaky Essendon offloading 22 players over the past 3 years!

This doesn't hurt the Bombers, only their Guinea Pig player clubs that traded with them in good faith.

I am absolutely astounded that our Club did not for see this eventuality and take out insurance. In a year in which Paddy Ryder faced suspension we went into the season with three recognised ruckmen on our list one of who is a raw kid and another facing suspension. Now the worst has happened and we are back to having Lobbe supported by a few pinch hitters. If anything happens to Lobbe we are really up against it. We recruited the seven dwarfs onto our senior and rookie lists when we should have taken a little insurance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whether they knew or not shouldn't matter. They've been found guilty of systematic doping, and hence knew they were trading "damaged goods" at the time.
Agree. To my thinking we have been traded goods which have a latent defect and therefore caveat emptor does not apply.

Sad news for Paddy and Angus but it's undeniably the correct decision. Would have been a travesty if Hird/Essendon's continual stalling and lawyerup tactics succeeded.

We're lucky to be in a position where we've got coverage for both, and crucial we get behind them this year and keep them involved in the club.

According to the Age here is a possbile Essendon line up for round 1

B: Mark Baguley, Mitch Brown, James Gwilt
HB: Jason Ashby, Michael Hartley, Courtenay Dempsey
C: Jackson Merrett, Brendon Goddard, David Zaharakis
HF: Zach Merrett, Shaun McKernan, Patrick Ambrose
F: Nick Kommer, Joe Daniher, Jayden Laverde
Foll: Matthew Leuenberger, Adam Cooney, Craig Bird
Inter: Kyle Langford, Orazio Fantasia, Martin Gleeson, Shaun Edwards

Not great but could be worse for them I guess. Forward line is ok. Midfield will be competitive at best. Defence is awful. They'll win 3-4 games.

Whats the timeline with the Monfries trade? Did Essendon know they were being investigated at the time we recruited Monfries?
The news broke that Essendon were reporting a possible breach with ASADA on Feb 5, 2013. There had been some rumours in the few weeks leading up to that that something was going down, but I can't find any news stories before Feb relating to Essendon and ASADA.
So given that Monfries arrived in October 2012, I'd say we would have had no idea about the whole issue, and it's possible Essendon had no idea that something would happen.
IIRC the issue was brought up when someone noticed something fishy in a conference talk by Dank (or possible another Essendon fitness guy) during the 2012/2013 off-season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Hot Topic - Drugs and AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back