HOW CAFF GOT COTCH

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond were weak in letting their skipper getting bashed around like that. Apart from Dusty there were no signs of aggression or a desire to protect Cotchin from any of Richmonds so called 'leaders'.

McCaffer did a great job but any team with some respect for their captain would have beat him over the head and made him earn the game. Richmond inability to get mean handed McCaffer the votes.

Cotchin should be filthy and I hope he is. Everyone of his teammates deserve a spray.

A ball player is looking at the ball and making it his objective. A tagger is not. Pretty friggen simple I would have thought.

Yes you have it right. It can be very frustrating. How dare a player stop his opponent from getting the ball. Next thing they will start bringing in backmen to stop the forwards from taking marks and kicking goals.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... My whole point of this is that the AFL website has 2 articles on McCaffer and how amazing this performance was when it is not in fact the case.

Please get your sarcasm detector checked.

So the Saturday paper has stories about the Friday game? What a shock!!

The real issue here is something else....as sssssssss was sayin.

I was working last night and listened to the game on ABC radio. McCaff's job on Cotchin was a constant spoken about subject.

Parkin was disgusted in his Richmond teammates who failed to give any support to their captain. He just couldn't believe why no Tiger player didn't hammer McCaff...even at the expense of giving away a free kick.

Someone should have charged at him and give him a bone shattering bump to let him know if was gunna tag the captain all night he'd better expext some treatment himself.

Richmond players weak as ####....or is it Hardwick's fault for not issuing such orders? One or the other-take your pick.

Last edited:
I liked the aggression from Cotch in the last quarter.
Most impressive thing he has done all year.
And.. I don't mean that to take the mickey, I just think Cotch needs to stand up - it was a good start.
Take it into next week and don't stand for it.

Yes you have it right. It can be very frustrating. How dare a player stop his opponent from getting the ball. Next thing they will start bringing in backmen to stop the forwards from taking marks and kicking goals.
Defenders that make the player the focus and not look at the ball get free kicked. Taggers seem to get away with it 95% of the time.

If you would rather watch a McCaffer or a Crowley play, no worries. I'd rather watch the Cotchins, Pendleburys, Abletts, Judds, Harveys, etc.

Probably illustrates how long Parkin has been out of the game.

Really?

You can bet if Heath Hocking, Mark Johnson or Jason Johnson were Cotchin's teammates they would have givin McCaff a good one.

It's not 1972 anymore...but basics are basics....club champion/captain gets mauled all night....someone has to do something...anything...not just let it happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Defenders that make the player the focus and not look at the ball get free kicked. Taggers seem to get away with it 95% of the time.

If you would rather watch a McCaffer or a Crowley play, no worries. I'd rather watch the Cotchins, Pendleburys, Abletts, Judds, Harveys, etc.

Being able to take on defensive opponents and still positively influence a game is a big part of what makes Pendlebury, Judd and Ablett great and elevates them above others who also have good skills or can find the ball (and this includes Cotchin at this point).

The game would be boring if everyone played the same role and ignored the defensive aspects of the game. Taggers sometimes push the limits but the rules penalising them for illegal activity are as harsh as they ever have been. I don't know what more can be done from an umpiring perspective, I think its a matter of the players just gritting their teeth and learning to deal with a tag. If they are illegally dealt with they will be looked after.

Really?

You can bet if Heath Hocking, Mark Johnson or Jason Johnson were Cotchin's teammates they would have givin McCaff a good one.

It's not 1972 anymore...but basics are basics....club champion/captain gets mauled all night....someone has to do something...anything...not just let it happen.

Even with your second quote you name a couple of players a long time out of the game. Sure the Tiges could have done more but giving the aggressor a rough-up behind play is an outdated, primitive tactic. Furthermore it would be wasted on Maccaffer because hes tough as nails and has an calm collected temperament and highly unlikely to be sucked in by sniping.

Last edited:
Richmond were weak in letting their skipper getting bashed around like that. Apart from Dusty there were no signs of aggression or a desire to protect Cotchin from any of Richmonds so called 'leaders'.

First and foremost he should have protected himself and given something back to his direct opponent, not an "easy target" like Clint Young.

A gutless performance all round from Cotchin. Hopefully the Monday review shows on tele highlight that above all else.

First and foremost Cotchin should have protected himself.

Less time blowdrying his hair (not a strand out of place by game's end, BTW), more time getting better.

I liked the aggression from Cotch in the last quarter.
Most impressive thing he has done all year.
And.. I don't mean that to take the mickey, I just think Cotch needs to stand up - it was a good start.
Take it into next week and don't stand for it.

Cotchin should have given something back to his direct opponent, not an "easy target" like Clint Young.

A gutless performance all round from Cotchin. Hopefully the Monday review shows on tele and the papers put the acid on him and highlight that above all else.

One of these names is not like the other.....

Cotchin's hit on/blow up at Clint Young was one of the funniest/most pathetic things I've seen from a supposed "leader" on the footy field in a long time. For Caff to frustrate him into doing something like that was reward enough.

That being said, how is what Caff was doing (tactically, not in terms of actual effectiveness) any different to what every defender in the league does every single week? If they put the camera on one-on-one match-ups inside 50 as often as they do the midfield ones, people would see it's as common as day.
Disagree, it was hilarious in the point of view that he cleaned up young, who had no need to be there and then had a go at him. Caff's game was pathetic, even Hayden Kennedy has come out and said so.

Geez taggers get a bum rap I reckon. What do you do if the opposition has a gun forward? You put a defender on him to negate him - why don't people view defenders the same way they do taggers? Why should gun midfielders be able to run around free all game? I just don't get why people criticize Crowley, Macaffer et al because all they do is stop another player.

Exactly, and it's a lot harder than most people give them credit for.

If tagging really took 'absolutely zero skill' there would be 18 Crowleys in the league who almost never get beaten.

Remove this Banner Ad

HOW CAFF GOT COTCH

Remove this Banner Ad

Back