Fixture How can Swans host a local final at a smaller stadium, but Geelong can’t?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 11, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not sure if there an official rule on this, but it seems likely that the Swans host their final against the Giants this week at the SCG instead of Homebush.

Yes, Homebush isn’t a great ground compared to the SCG - but surely this is a fantastic day for the code in NSW and a tremendous opportunity to get nearly 75k to a local derby?

Historically, I thought the “rule” with Geelong was that they were unlikely to ever host a final against a Vic team at GMHBA as it would prevent too many local fans from attending.

Seems like yet another bizarre example of incompetent management from the AFL. More importantly, I’d quite rightfully be miffed as a Cats fan.

The AFL is no longer a tenant of Accor Stadium after years of incidents leading to injuries to players.

It's not a good stadium for players, or spectators. It's not quite an oval and it's not quite a rectangle.

It's a relic and should be knocked down and rebuilt as a permanent rectangular stadium.

The Swans haven't played a home game at Accor since 2016.

Last I looked the MCG is a home ground to Geelong through the H&A season.

Accor is not for the Swans or Giants.

Pretty straight forward really.

They're forced to play home games there. They only get 9 at their actual home ground throughout the season. Having said that, I don't particularly care where they play finals.

They're forced to play home games there. They only get 9 at their actual home ground throughout the season. Having said that, I don't particularly care where they play finals.
But you do play there in the H&A.
Neither the Swans or Giants do at Accor.
Pretty sure the sides are rusted in now too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last I looked the MCG is a home ground to Geelong through the H&A season.
MCG is a contractual obligation forced on us by the AFL, it's not our home ground.

For example, we didn't use the home change rooms in our two "home" games there tihs year, nor in many of our "home" finals against Melbourne based clubs.

MCG is a contractual obligation forced on us by the AFL, it's not our home ground.

For example, we didn't use the home change rooms in our two "home" games there tihs year, nor in many of our "home" finals against Melbourne based clubs.
Not the point. You still do play home games there.

Not the point. You still do play home games there.
Imagine if the AFL signed a contract for two games to be played at homebush every year and forces GWS to play those games. You wouldn't consider those to be true home games, and neither do we. AFL signs stupid contracts and we just have to cop it. Even after spending $200m on stadium upgrades we still can't get 11 home games.

Imagine if the AFL signed a contract for two games to be played at homebush every year and forces GWS to play those games. You wouldn't consider those to be true home games, and neither do we. AFL signs stupid contracts and we just have to cop it. Even after spending $200m on stadium upgrades we still can't get 11 home games.
Should have spent more and made Kardinia Park a more normal size playing surface and more seating.

Should have spent more and made Kardinia Park a more normal size playing surface and more seating.
It seats 40,000. No different to the old subiaco or football park that was sufficient, no different to the SCG and Gabba today, and way more than what GWS hosted in multiple finals including prelims.

Playing surface is top quality, no issues there.

Then we would have to.
Up to clubs to push it.
As the stands are probably rusted in place now I doubt any contract will be signed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Fixture How can Swans host a local final at a smaller stadium, but Geelong can’t?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back