Fixture How can Swans host a local final at a smaller stadium, but Geelong can’t?

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL signed a contract with the SCG Trust in 2017 for all Swans home finals to be played at the SCG until 2047.

The Swans and AFL ended their contract with Accor in 2016 and the Giants have rented out on a once off basis once since in the hope of getting a large crowd on the back of Buddy reaching 1000 goals.

The AFL signed a contract with the SCG Trust in 2017 for all Swans home finals to be played at the SCG until 2047.

The Swans and AFL ended their contract with Accor in 2016 and the Giants have rented out on a once off basis once since in the hope of getting a large crowd on the back of Buddy reaching 1000 goals.
We did?

It seats 40,000. No different to the old subiaco or football park that was sufficient, no different to the SCG and Gabba today, and way more than what GWS hosted in multiple finals including prelims.

Playing surface is top quality, no issues there.
Those other grounds weren't really sufficient though, it's just the best there was/is.

Playing surface is top quality, no issues there.
Even your own player disagree:

Geelong veteran Mitch Duncan has seen plenty of football. But he was far from happy about the conditions when asked about them earlier this week.

"It was probably the worst I've ever played on at an AFL game," he said.

Are you talking about Week 1 of the finals or Week 2 or every week?
If the Cats lose to Port, could their Semi Final be at Kardinia Park? Have they already ruled this out?
Geelong wouldn't host a PF there.

Are you talking about Week 1 of the finals or Week 2 or every week?
If the Cats lose to Port, could their Semi Final be at Kardinia Park? Have they already ruled this out?
Geelong wouldn't host a PF there.

If it’s against Hawthorn, there’s a precisely 0% chance it’s not at the G. Most likely the case for Dogs too.

The argument about not having a contract with Accor is understandable, but both SCG and Accor are managed by VenuesNSW so it’s somewhat of a moot point.

The point stands - and as others here have rightly pointed out with the Dogs playing a “home” final at the G, adds to the idiocy of actually having some sort of rationale for where finals are scheduled.

Geelong's home grounds are the MCG and Etihad stadium. They chose to sell 9 home games to Kardinia Park. We know this because they say how they get more money playing there, therefore they are selling them. Just like Hawthorn in Tasmania, Dogs in Ballarat and GWS in Canberra, you do not play finals at grounds you sell home games to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A very fair question to ask.

The contractual status is obviously a blocker. Crowd numbers at Stadium Australia also started to plummet leading up to 2016 - fans started refusing to travel and I think if anything the Swans started encouraging that, as they didn’t like playing there. I thought it was a shame though, as the atmosphere when there was a full house was something…

I also think the Swans and AFL could have got more out of the SCG trust when locking in that long term contract. Swans get treated like cricket’s little cousin, even though they bring in many more fans per year. The SCG really needs those final two stands to be built (to match the newish one with the Bradman wing). It would leave 3 identical big stands surround the ladies stand and members, and substantially increase capacity. The cricket pitches should also be changed to drop ins like everywhere else. Who knows, maybe they could also find a place to put the cameras that doesn’t create such a terrible angle on the TV.

I also think that, at least in weeks 1 and 2 of finals, Geelong should be able to play finals at home.

So one rule for some, another rule for others?

The MCG is an official home ground of Geelong and is the most suitable venue for all finals played in Victoria. In the event Victoria hosts all 4 finals in Week One, one of the four finals may have to be scheduled at a lesser venue such as Marvel or GMHBA. This is not the case this year. End thread.

The AFL couldnt give a stuff about the “fans”, otherwise it wouldnt sell off so many corporate tickets for the grand final. The amount of non fans of the clubs who go to the grand final as corporate gifts is insane.

In 2007 i paid 4,000 for my ticket and sat close to a person asking “ who is that number 29??”.

The “fans” is just an excuse

Even your own player disagree:

Geelong veteran Mitch Duncan has seen plenty of football. But he was far from happy about the conditions when asked about them earlier this week.

"It was probably the worst I've ever played on at an AFL game," he said.
There was one game where it as bad after a double header curtain raiser in the wet. It's usually very good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Fixture How can Swans host a local final at a smaller stadium, but Geelong can’t?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back