Toast How can this Hawthorn side be stopped?

Remove this Banner Ad

My view on the list would be as such. The bolded are players I believe have the ability to step up into the A tier in time - All Aus, top 10 in their position types.

A - Sicily, Moore

B+ - Meek, Day, Worpel, Newcombe, Impey, Amon

B - Lewis, Scrimshaw, D'Ambrosio, Chol, Macdonald, Nash, Ginnivan, Hardwick, Weddle

C - Dear, Watson, Ward, Frost, Reeves, Jiath, Gunston, Breust, Mackenzie, Maginness*

D - Morrison, Stephens, DGB, Ryan, McCabe, Hustwaite Serong, Butler, Blanck, Phillips, Ramsden, Scaife, Mitchell, Bennetts, B.Macdonald, O'Sullivan, Tucker

Still think they're a few pieces away, need a couple more A grade talents in the side before there would be any chance of a dynasty. Freo and the Swans are better set up for one at this stage imo.
Day is A grade
Bruest is at least B (was A when at his prime)
Impey is close to A grade for me (this year).
Weddle is B+
MacDonald is B+

Watson and Jiath are close to finding form and going up the ranks.

Otherwise not a crazy synopsis. But these guys are young - there will be improvement

Agree. Not sure what the Hawks supporters want you to say tbh.
I think something along the lines of 'Dynasty incoming, most talented team ever assembled'

It all started from me saying that Freo and Sydney are better set up for the future with the young talent each possess. Astonished by the insane reactions from the Hawks fans tbh, normally a fairly logical and level headed bunch.

I think something along the lines of 'Dynasty incoming, most talented team ever assembled'

It all started from me saying that Freo and Sydney are better set up for the future with the young talent each possess. Astonished by the insane reactions from the Hawks fans tbh, normally a fairly logical and level headed bunch.
Exactly. So we just need West Coast to get their act together to 3peat again.

Take any teams top 5 players out of it and they'll struggle. One of the dumbest arguments going around.

How do you think Hawthorn would be going if you took out Day, Moore, Sicily, Newcombe and Worpel?

But to indulge in your ridiculous statement, who are Carltons bottom 6 when they're at full health? Who are Hawthorns bottom 6?
Tell us who you believe are Hawthorns bottom 6 players if you're an expert on our list?

The old reverse uno card? I've already posted my thoughts on the Hawks list. I'm sure you can scroll back a couple of pages to find it and figure it out
"C - Dear, Watson, Ward, Frost, Reeves, Jiath, Gunston, Breust, Mackenzie, Maginness*

D - Morrison, Stephens, DGB, Ryan, McCabe, Hustwaite Serong, Butler, Blanck, Phillips, Ramsden, Scaife, Mitchell, Bennetts, B.Macdonald, O'Sullivan, Tucker"

Only the bolded are guaranteed game time with a fit list of 23 players, all 4 would be in Carlton's best 23. Not making a strong claim about the strength of your bottom 6.

from those who played on the weekend id have Hawks bottom 6 as mcginnes, ward, dear, bruest, jiath and watson. Not sure how this helps the discussion. just trying to help out the experts. back to you Kingy

Take any teams top 5 players out of it and they'll struggle. One of the dumbest arguments going around.

How do you think Hawthorn would be going if you took out Day, Moore, Sicily, Newcombe and Worpel?

But to indulge in your ridiculous statement, who are Carltons bottom 6 when they're at full health? Who are Hawthorns bottom 6?

A full strength Bluuz side is elite on paper and should be top four:

Kemp - Weitering - Newman
Saad - McGovern - Docherty

TDK - Cripps - Cerra
Acres - Walsh - O. Hollands

Williams - Curnow - E. Hollands
Owies - McKay - Martin

Bench:
Hewett
Kennedy
Cincotta
????

It's hard to pick out the bottom six there, I'd say it would be - O. Hollands, Owies, Martin, Kennedy, Cincotta, and the last bench option.

Tell us who you believe are Hawthorns bottom 6 players if you're an expert on our list?
I would say from the weekend a clear bottom 3, Ward, Maginness and Dear. After that it becomes harder. I would probably go Watson, Breust and Jiath but you could throw any of 10 names in there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"C - Dear, Watson, Ward, Frost, Reeves, Jiath, Gunston, Breust, Mackenzie, Maginness*

D - Morrison, Stephens, DGB, Ryan, McCabe, Hustwaite Serong, Butler, Blanck, Phillips, Ramsden, Scaife, Mitchell, Bennetts, B.Macdonald, O'Sullivan, Tucker"

Only the bolded are guaranteed game time with a fit list of 23 players, all 4 would be in Carlton's best 23. Not making a strong claim about the strength of your bottom 6.
The only chance of a game if we were fully healthy is Frost because we don't have a 2nd KPD and even then he wouldn't be a lock. Jiath, Watson, Bruest wouldn't get a game at this stage of their careers.

The only chance of a game if we were fully healthy is Frost because we don't have a 2nd KPD and even then he wouldn't be a lock. Jiath, Watson, Bruest wouldn't get a game at this stage of their careers.
CJ ahead of O. Hollands but wouldn’t be by much.

Watson and Breust would definitely get games though your only half decent small forward is Owies.

Who's your small forwards again? Breust would get a game easily think you know this your just trolling. Owies is your best small than Zac Williams. Neither of them would be 1st picked with us. Not quite understanding the bravado talk regarding your team. You haven't achieved shit for over 20 years yet all I seem to read is we have an amazing list and we're an amazing team. Get your hand off it.

WalshistheGOAT's grand standing feels familiar? Oh yeh, like the Essendon fans who were gloating how much better their team/list was just a few short weeks ago. They've gone awfully quiet lately.
Essendon fans were as delusional as Hawks fans in this thread. Their list is filled with holes, as is yours. Seemingly they were just as blind to their issues after a blistering run on form that papered over many of the cracks despite posters all across Bigfooty trying to tell them that.

**** it must be infuriating for a lot of clubs and their supporters. A 3peat a decade ago and they're on the march again while so many other clubs just tread water with their high draft picks and shit trading. (not including North in that statement, they'll be very strong in 2 or 3 years)

Quickly becoming a destination club again under Mitchell.

They've been a winning club with the matching mentality for over 50 years now.

We may have different ideas of Carlton's best side, but I'll combine a November 2023 article of 'best 22's for every team' with players who have taken their opportunity this season.

Cincotta
Marchbank
Motlop
Kennedy
Cowan
Fogarty

Hawthorn's, by comparison, using the same approach...

Dear
Ward
Maginness
Gunston
Breust
Mackenzie

Gunston and Breust are part of this group due to being the sub quite often. Mackenzie also as a player subbed off on multiple occasions.
Frost and Jiath would have been in this group at the beginning of the season, but they're better than that now.

More than happy to hear who you would consider to be the 'bottom 6' of your best Carlton side. You'd know your own side better than me.

We may have different ideas of Carlton's best side, but I'll combine a November 2023 article of 'best 22's for every team' with players who have taken their opportunity this season.

Cincotta
Marchbank
Motlop
Kennedy
Cowan
Fogarty

Hawthorn's, by comparison, using the same approach...

Dear
Ward
Maginness
Gunston
Breust
Mackenzie

Gunston and Breust are part of this group due to being the sub quite often. Mackenzie also as a player subbed off on multiple occasions.
Frost and Jiath would have been in this group at the beginning of the season, but they're better than that now.

More than happy to hear who you would consider to be the 'bottom 6' of your best Carlton side. You'd know your own side better than me.
Give or take some personal opinion

Kemp Weitering Boyd
Newman Mcgovern Saad
Acres Cripps Docherty
Fogarty Mckay E.Hollands
Williams Curnow Martin
Dekoning Walsh Cerra

Silvagni Cottrell Motlop Kennedy/Hewett

Cincotta or Owies could be argued as b22 but its splitting hairs, same level of player as the others highlighted.

To me theres really little difference between our bottom 6 and other teams. Kemp is hard done by as I think he's actually a good player, but he's having to play as a severely undersized 2nd KPD when it's not his go. The rest are just bog average bottom role players like any other club has. All capable players but also never going to be stars.

Give or take some personal opinion

Kemp Weitering Boyd
Newman Mcgovern Saad
Acres Cripps Docherty
Fogarty Mckay E.Hollands
Williams Curnow Martin
Dekoning Walsh Cerra

Silvagni Cottrell Motlop Kennedy/Hewett

Cincotta or Owies could be argued as b22 but its splitting hairs, same level of player as the others highlighted.

To me theres really little difference between our bottom 6 and other teams. Kemp is hard done by as I think he's actually a good player, but he's having to play as a severely undersized 2nd KPD when it's not his go. The rest are just bog average bottom role players like any other club has. All capable players but also never going to be stars.

I like Kemp. Still unsure what his ceiling is.

Cottrell and Owies probably the two I missed.

I mean no disrespect in any of this discussion either. I'm still firm in the belief that at the top end the Blues are almost untouchable, however as you go down the list it doesn't hold a consistent line like the current Hawks side.

Blues in the premiership window.
Hawks hopefully close to approaching one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast How can this Hawthorn side be stopped?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back