Toast How can this Hawthorn side be stopped?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not really sure what’s cocky about pointing out a couple of pretty basic observations from two matches so far.

Dear was missing? Sorry but that’s like us whinging that Shannon Neale missed a game. Yeah he might have a future but it’s not exactly Jesse Hogan or Jeremy Cameron missing a match, is it. Regardless, Hawkins, for as bad as he has been this year, missed that game as well and even after Dear’s goals today, Hawkins has had better output this year than Dear has. What’s the difference, really. Seems strange that you’d pick that absence to whinge about when he’s a player who’s output has been lower than that of a Geelong counterpart.

We were also without Tanner Bruhn who’s been easily among our best 2-3 midfielders.

Can anyone that follows this sport just accept a defeat? Ever?

Will it actually drain life force from you to say ‘you know what, the 22 human beings on the patch of grass that day, the same one that represented my team, kicking the same ball, at the same target, that we played against, were too good.’ It’s always unfamiliarity or the crowd or some other bullshit 😂😂

Hawthorn may well smack us if we meet again: God knows their best football is probably good enough and who the hell knows which Geelong will turn up.

But it won’t be the venue that beats us, it will be your football.
I’ll cop flack for this from other Hawks supporters, but Dear’s omission was due to Lewis’s return who was always going to be a liability in terms of the current team dynamics. Yes, the Hawks were smashed, but it was on a unique pencil shaped ground without Dear, Sicily and Ginnivan which had a significant impact on the teams system.

I’ll cop flack for this from other Hawks supporters, but Dear’s omission was due to Lewis’s return who was always going to be a liability in terms of the current team dynamics. Yes, the Hawks were smashed, but it was on a unique pencil shaped ground without Dear, Sicily and Ginnivan which had a significant impact on the teams system.
The issue is playing Gunston, Lewis, and Breust in the same team. It can’t happen especially all in the 22, pressure it’s important and Dear is key in this.

Take Gunston and replace him with Dear and it makes a massive difference defensively.

One game also didn’t show anything because teams are allowed off days, especially with the travel the week prior, and injuries to Sicily and Ginnivan whom are key for structure.

They are extremely dangerous - the only concern would be a lack of finals experience.

They also have a coach who as a player was a genius with ball in hand. It's therefore not a great coincidence that he is gradually transitioning into a top calibre coach

My gut feel is that it is probably a year too soon. However, next year they could easily be second or third line of betting to win it all.

The issue is playing Gunston, Lewis, and Breust in the same team. It can’t happen especially all in the 22, pressure it’s important and Dear is key in this.

Take Gunston and replace him with Dear and it makes a massive difference defensively.

One game also didn’t show anything because teams are allowed off days, especially with the travel the week prior, and injuries to Sicily and Ginnivan whom are key for structure.

Gunston directs the traffic in the forward line, a bit like Hodge used to do when he was in defence. Gunston will stay in till he can't run anymore.

If the Blues finally decide to play footy again this season they should put the nail in the Hawks season next week. Giants played for about 30 mins today and still beat them
A nail in who's season?

A ittle bit like us in 2022. Unexpected rate of improvement, and will break some clubs heart in September.

Sam Mitchell is an irritating suck but he's a fine coach. Its hard to make the possession game work in finals but the Hawks under Clarckson did, three times in a fricking row, and Mitchell was a key to that efort so he can do it too.

Well done it just shows that you have no idea how important Dear is to Hawthorn.

If your including Hawkins, since he has been out you've looked better, just like Hawthorn have looked better since Dear has replaced Lewis.

The amount of defensive running we do from the forward line due to this is important to our defence, and when Lewis is there we do a little bit less of it. Same if Hawkins is in the side. Unless these big forwards are not kicking 3 goals, they can be a liability.

Fine. You guys won that game.

There would be a few worried finals teams right now.
Not really.

Sides want to face the best teams and have a chance to beat them. What's the point of having the 8 filled with sides who are collapsing? Hawthorn deserve to be in it. Bulldogs are in the same boat if they can make up for the weekend's aberration.

The teams in 5th-8th have been dangerous for a number of seasons as there is no longer a sizeable drop off from the top 4. That's why we're seeing sides exit in straight sets more often.

It wouldn't be surprising at all if 1 or 2 sides from 5th-8th make it to a prelim or beyond this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The calling card of a di$%head is them trying to sound clever while avoiding reality.

Literally nobody said Hawthorn won.

Except you, of course.

No, the calling card of a dickhead is the simple inability to ever accept that they just got beaten. Ever.

See I can look at that game and actually go ‘well Hawthorn have probably actually improved a bit since then and learned from it, and didn’t play their best so I wouldn’t be assuming would win next time just because we did in that game.

But it doesn’t alter the fact that we won and won well and a couple of players missing and the venue it was played at doesn’t change that, and the tired excuses that every opponent seems to pop up with week after week are just that: tiresome.

I don’t know what people find so difficult about just saying ‘we got towelled up’ and moving on. Every team every week will have an excuse if you look hard enough.

No, the calling card of a dickhead is the simple inability to ever accept that they just got beaten. Ever.

See I can look at that game and actually go ‘well Hawthorn have probably actually improved a bit since then and learned from it, and didn’t play their best so I wouldn’t be assuming would win next time just because we did in that game.

But it doesn’t alter the fact that we won and won well and a couple of players missing and the venue it was played at doesn’t change that, and the tired excuses that every opponent seems to pop up with week after week are just that: tiresome.

I don’t know what people find so difficult about just saying ‘we got towelled up’ and moving on. Every team every week will have an excuse if you look hard enough.

So we agree that 'Mission accomplished' was pretty crap too then?

We got smashed. There's some variables at work that might influence that.

But the scoreline is still the scoreline.

Every team gets a clean slate for finals though. If we make it and have the Cats first up, home and away might as well be a TV show because it's about as relevant.

I don't think we'd pick Geelong from the list of top 8 teams first. But to win it all you have to beat the good ones, and if we make it we'd welcome the opportunity I reckon.

Would be hilarious if after all that hard work in making the 8 from so far back, the brown and yellow lose 1 or both of their last 2 games against arguably the worst teams in the comp this season. :grinv1:

It would cap off one of the weirdest, if not actually the weirdest, season ever.

So we agree that 'Mission accomplished' was pretty crap too then?

We got smashed. There's some variables at work that might influence that.

But the scoreline is still the scoreline.

Every team gets a clean slate for finals though. If we make it and have the Cats first up, home and away might as well be a TV show because it's about as relevant.

I don't think we'd pick Geelong from the list of top 8 teams first. But to win it all you have to beat the good ones, and if we make it we'd welcome the opportunity I reckon.

“We will learn a lot from this, so in that respect it’s a little bit ‘mission accomplished’ but the competitor in you would certainly want to play better after half time”
“I definitely didn’t say ‘let’s let them walk all over us in the second half.”

So I’m not sure his actual inference was ‘it was our mission to give up a five goal lead and lose by four’

The most overblown piece of click bait possibly ever taken from a presser but if that’s analogy that needs to be drawn to make it work then sure. Remember, that wasn’t actually me that said it.

Would be hilarious if after all that hard work in making the 8 from so far back, the brown and yellow lose 1 or both of their last 2 games against arguably the worst teams in the comp this season. :grinv1:

It would cap off one of the weirdest, if not actually the weirdest, season ever.

It's quite possible Hawthorn could drop one off the next two, there are no gimme games

Playing well, but I'd look more to what they did against Adelaide (who I think have been playing well) to get a line on their form than the Carlton game - the Blues had no hope that day.

Adelaide have been hot and cold. We played very well, but they weren't at their best. The GWS game showed how good we can be, but also showed that we can be vulnerable to quick run and carry (basically our own style) going back the other way. I do think we would've learned a lot from it though.

Gunston directs the traffic in the forward line, a bit like Hodge used to do when he was in defence. Gunston will stay in till he can't run anymore.
Lewis does too, he’s one of our best leaders. Watching him live + training he’s extremely vocal, and demands it.

But till he’s back Gunston will be, atleast this year.

Next year is a wait and see on the 22.

Lewis is brilliant tho and he with Chol and Dear would be a damaging trio of talls.

They are extremely dangerous - the only concern would be a lack of finals experience.

Can't see it effecting them at all to be honest.
The clubs been through quite a bit this past 5 years during the rebuild. Belted from pillar to post. The young brigade are angry and hungry for success.
They will smash Richmond & North Melbourne and probably end up getting a home final in week 1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast How can this Hawthorn side be stopped?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back